• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'99 Howell Mountain Cabernet Franc

ducphat30

Thought I would get the forum's input on a pairing for '99 Howell Mountain Cabernet Franc. It is for the cheese course for a Beringer wine dinner. Couple of things that would be helpful, your tasting notes and the cheese pairing you'd suggest.

No suggestion is to far out there, all ideas will be entertained and will actually (IMO) help us all with this topic.

I posted here because I was interested in tasting notes, as well. If this is not the correct forum, feel free to move the topic.

Thanks and I am looking forward to your suggestions.

Patrick Sheerin

I've not had the wine, so no notes from me. I also conducted a search for you and couldn't find any on this site.

But as far as a cheese pairing goes, I like wines of this style with firm, aged cheeses such as an aged Gouda.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

• 4 weeks later...

In case anyone was interested in a good match:

gallery_9036_1161_40153.jpg

Here is the pairing that we went with for the dinner.

It is the Roth Kase, Surchoix Grand Cru Aged gruyere.

It is plated with figs poached in pinot noir, the liquid reduced and tightened with a little bit of pectin and sugar.

A "hazelnut" cracker

Toasted hazelnuts and celery microgreens.

It worked out very well, in fact many people said that it was a dead on accurate pairing. You also have to remember this was the 5th wine of the evening, so judgement could have been ever so slightly impared.

I apologize for the picture, I used a palm pilot camera, so it is not as clear as I'd like.

Patrick Sheerin

Just read this this morning. I was going to recommend something from the Swiss family, such as a gruyère or an emmenthaler or perhaps a similar style such as a Norwegian Jarlsberg. :biggrin: One thing I like to make with this style of cheese for a wine tasting is a gougère. (Pâté choux with bits of diced cheese added.) But seeing how this is a fifth course you made a good choice not to go with a gougère.

I take it this was their Third Century Cabernet Franc? I have five of the ‘99s left in my cellar; two from ‘97. My tasting notes show raspberries, red cherries, fresh cut grass, and cocoa. Definitley new world franc. I’m hoping it’ll develop other characteristics (plum, cedar, autumn leaves, and mushroom) with bottle age later this decade.

BTW, Costco has the ’99 for $39.99. Quite the steal considering I paid over $80 for the ‘97s. :wacko:

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera