• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Health ratings of 30,000 La. restaurants go on Web

Gifted Gourmet

article here

Louisiana's latest restaurant ratings see a Taco Bell in eastern New Orleans and the Short Stop Discount Tobacco & Liquor store in Bunkie as right on par with such bastions of fine dining as Bacco's and Brigtsen's.

The department's ratings of more than 30,000 restaurants and other places selling food which can be eaten on the spot went "live" on the Internet on Monday.

Frank Brigtsen, whose restaurant, Brigtsen's, went from good to superior, said, "We haven't changed anything. Our ratings are always really good. Some are a little better than others."What does he think of having them on the Web? "I've got no problem with it."  Louisiana is actually something of a "Jean, he come lately" to online sanitation ratings. A number of other states have them, and in many states without statewide ratings, cities or counties have their own.

Do you read those of your state? :rolleyes:

When I checked the link to see the ratings, I got this message:

The system is currently experiencing a high volume of demand.

so I guess it is a success! :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I managed to look through the first 300 in New Orleans before the system locked up. Only five of those had poor ratings. Oddly, four of those five were mid- to upper-end place (don't want to name them from memory). You would think expensive places would have better success than dives, but that didn't seem to be the case.

Any thoughts on that? Has that been the pattern in other states that list these inspections?

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

You would think expensive places would have better success than dives, but that didn't seem to be the case.

Any thoughts on that? Has that been the pattern in other states that list these inspections?

While I am unsure about the ratings here in Georgia, I believe that the ratings are not so much about upper-end or lower-end as cleanliness and effort on behalf of the management. Dives can, on occasion, surprise most of us. And, apparently, so can the expensive, glitzy places.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

• 2 weeks later...

I am sure that your restaurant is spotless Dave. You should come down here and hold classes on this. Have you ever seen some of those kitchens in the Quarter? Yikes. It doesn't stop me from eating, but it does give me something to think about if I am bored at the dinner table.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...