• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Tacos

pnapoli

7/23/03 NYT article: The True Flavors of Mexico, Hidden in New York

not sure if the above link will work, but I hope it does, because if you haven't seen this article, then you may not know about tehuitzingo deli and grocery, where i had the BEST tacos today. this is the real deal, that's all i can say. chicken, carnitas, spicy pork, steak...and there are others. simply fabulous. check it out:

695 10th ave (near 47th)

and yes, it appeared to be packed with NYT readers. :laugh:

tehuitzingo is great, discovered the place a few months ago (work near there). the nytimes crowd should die down by middle of next week. they've got around ten kinds of tacos, plus sopes (though the ones at matamoros in williamsburg are better), quesadillas (not like the southwest quesadillas...the huitalacoche ones are excellent), tortas and more. on weekends they make tamales.

as for the tacos, they are the best. i like the enchilada pork ones the best. they also have a little condiment station with red and green salsa, refried beans and lime wedges so you can dress them up yourself. you'll stuff yourself silly for about $7.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

• 1 year later...

I don't think we've had much action on a Best Tacos thread. I was inspired by an incredible carnitas taco at Tehuitzingo Deli and Grocery, on 10th Avenue, between 47th and 48th streets. The front portion of the store is a mini-deli and in back there's a little window where you can order tortas, tacos, sopes, etc. The carnitas were excellent and had crackling pieces of skin throughout the meat. The taco was served properly--meat cradled in two warm corn tortillas and topped with just cilantro and onions--and I didn't even have to ask, whereas near my apartment, around Columbia, lettuce and tomato tops my tacos if I forget specify.

I also had cecina and lengua. The cecina was good--not overly salty, as I've found it can be--but the tongue was tough and lacked its usual luscious, fatty texture.

On another note, I heard that the famous Roosevelt Avenuee taqueria El Grano de Oro 2000 closed. Can anyone confirm this?

Here's a list of Asimov's recommendations that were in a 2003 New York Times article. (I couldn't find the Times link.)

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

I enjoy the tacos up in our 'hood at Taqueria y Fonda La Mexicana. In particular, the lengua (tongue) tacos are extellent. They also make a pretty good tripe taco and pig's ear taco.

--

Taqueria di Mexico on Greenwich iAve. in the W. Village has always made excellent tacos with pork in pumpkin seed sauce. What's really stupid, however, is that they now offer them only for takeout. I complained when I was there the other day, and they served the tacos to me in the dining room. They were delicious.

Tehuitzingo's are hands down the best in Manhattan (and best I've personally had in NYC). I used to work (somewhat) near there and would go there about once a week. I think the best fillings are the enchilada (shredded spicy pork), suadero (pork belly though sometimes it's listed as beef), and the papas con rajas (potatoes and jalapenos). I find the barbacoa (goat) to be a bit dry. But nothing is bad there.

The tacos at Tulcingo del Valle (right down the street) are good, but nowhere in Tehuitzingo's league. They also put a watery guacamole on them which I don't like. But they make al pastor tacos, which Tehuitzingo does not do.

I also like the ones at Matamoros Puebla in Williamsburg -- they do good al pastor, enchilada, carnitas, and bistec tacos, with about six more varieties available. It's my neighborhood, so I eat there a lot, but not sure it's worth a special trip.

Tehuitzingo's are hands down the best in Manhattan (and best I've personally had in NYC).  I used to work (somewhat) near there and would go there about once a week.

Bastard! This is the first time I've made it far enough west to try them since I heard about them.

The tacos at Tulcingo del Valle (right down the street) are good, but nowhere in Tehuitzingo's league.

Isn't del Valle supposed to have amazing moles?

I'm sure that you veteran Upper West Siders have eaten the hell out of this place already, but tonight I finally tried the tacos sold from the taco truck at 96th Street. I had an excellent taco al pastor, but when I got to my taco de carnita it was cold--damn wind--so I can't judge it. Besides the wind, the time it took me to eat an excellent and greasy gordita with chorizo was another reason the taco de carnitas got cold before I tasted it.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Dude.  The taco truck at 103rd and Broadway is better.

Any specific recommendations? I went to this truck last week and thought the carnitas were pretty good, but didn't try anything else. The one at 96th Street has more variety (not that that means anything about taco quality) and more Mexicans lining up to eat (ditto, maybe :smile:).

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

Any specific recommendations? I went to this truck last week and thought the carnitas were pretty good, but didn't try anything else. The one at 96th Street has more variety (not that that means anything about taco quality) and more Mexicans lining up to eat (ditto, maybe :smile:).

I like both the carnitas and the beef at 103rd & Bway. As for "more Mexicans lining up to eat," well, that depends on what time you go. I did notice that they seem to have lines at different times of day.

mmm...tacos.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

For fancy tacos, I like the tiny ones on offer at Mercadito. A good variety, and the tilapia and manchego ones were really tasty. However, at $9 for three TINY tacos, definitely overpriced. But, they are very tasty, and their ceviches are interesting to boot.

For 'real' tacos, my palate takes me to either Tulcingo del Valle (I do not like their guacamole either) or Tacos Nuevos Mexicos on 5th Ave. in Park Slope. I also like the taco truck on the north side of Roosevelt in the mid-60s in Woodside/Jackson Heights. Very tasty lengua and cabeza tacos.

For 'real' tacos, my palate takes me to either Tulcingo del Valle (I do not like their guacamole either) or Tacos Nuevos Mexicos on 5th Ave. in Park Slope.

Both those places roll/fold up their tacos into that little horn shape which, for some reason, annoys me. I also find them both to be a little dry, fillings-wise. But not bad... but not Tehuitzingo.

I like Mercadito but always feel kinda ripped off. Their tacos are so tiny it's more like an hors d'oeuvre. But they are good.

Another great thread! I finally got down to Tehuitzingo's Deli for the first time today. The tacos are the best I've had in NYC no doubt. I like the way the meat is cooked down with crispy bits in it.

I tried the Enchilada, Bisteck and Carnitas tacos and would rank them in that order in terms of my personal preference. The green and red salsas are also quite good.

I brought home a copy of the menu and here's a list of all the types of tacos on offer there:

Beef (Bisteck)

Spicy Pork (Enchilada)

Sausage w/Potato (Chorizo)

Chicken (Pollo)

Rice w/ Eggs (Arroz con Huevo)

Salted Beef (Cecina)

Goat Meat (Barbacoa)

Beef Tongue (Lengua)

Goat Tripe (Sangre)

Pork Skin (Chicharron)

Potatoes w/Jalapeno (Papas con Rajas)

Rice w/ Chicken (Arroz con Pollo)

Pork (Carnitas)

Beef Belly (Suadereo)

I spoke with a Mexican who is a regular and he recommended I try the Beef Tongue tacos next time. He said his other favorite taco joint in New York is a truck usually parked somewhere in Queens near 90th St. and Roosevelt Blvd. Has anyone tried it?

I have a feeling Tehuitzingo's will be added to my list of regular must eats. There is also a nice park just east of 10th Ave. on 48th, where you can take your tacos to go and enjoy a nice spot outdoors. Three tasty tacos for $6.00 and a seat in that park on a Spring day provided the most satisfying lunch I've had in a long time.

Thanks jogoode for posting about this place!

Edited by Felonius (log)

Thanks jogoode for posting about this place!

You're welcome! And I'll thank Eric Asimov for the great article he wrote last year, which I now have as a bookmark on my browser next to those for the New York Times and Mapquest sites.

I'll have to try an enchilada taco next time I go. Also, does anyone know why they call goat tripe "sangre"? Sangre means blood.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

Tonight I'll be near this place--another of Asimov's recommendations--and might stop in:

ZARAGOZA MEXICAN DELI AND GROCERY 215 Avenue A, near 14th Street, East Village, (212) 780-9204. A tiny bodega with a small selection of tacos that changes every day, and good tamales.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

. . . .  Also, does anyone know why they call goat tripe "sangre"? Sangre means blood.

I remember having sangre in Sevilla. In the market there was a bar with what looked like blood sausage in a big block or a cross between morcilla and ducks' blood in Chinatown dim sum parlors. We asked for some morcilla and the bar tender said he didn't have any. We pointed to the stuff and he said "sangre." Later we saw some for sale in the market stalls.

I am reminded of differently words are used, especially for food, thoughout the Spanish speaking world. I have no idea why Mexicans call goat tripe sangre.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I tried the tacos at Zaragoza; they were OK. There were three options: pernil, barbacoa de pollo, and oreja (de puerco, probably). The fillings were wet and made the eating messy and the tortillas soggy. The cilantro and onions sunk in the mess and weren't able to add flavor or contrast. All this detracted from the sprightliness that I look for in a good taco.

Can't say, though, that I wasn't happy to crunch on oreja after work!

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

JJ is a whiner, though I did enjoy watching him pick "ear" out of his teeth. I had the pernil and found the meat rich and flavorful and the accompaniments fresh, if not outstanding. I'd say it's worth a shot unless you're a Taco SuperTaster like the aforementioned.

Whiner, eh? I'll show you a whiner...Next time, we'll try Tehuitzingo.

So, has anyone done any tacos exploring in Sunset Park? Las Conchitas (48-11 Fifth Avenue) is Asimov's pick. What about Corona? He likes La Vega (103-07 Roosevelt Avenue). That's close to El Grano de Oro 2000 (96-15 Roosevelt Avenue), so if I go to the former, I'll check to see if the latter is still open.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

There's an interesting-looking taqueria on Roosevelt Av. around 78 St. or something in Jackson Heights. I haven't tried the tacos there but noted Lengua as one of their regular offerings.

Michael aka "Pan"

Thanks everyone for suggesting Tehuitzingo the place is awesome.. I went there today and had three tacos.. I had the tongue, the carnita and the salt beef.. I couldnt decide what was better between the carnita and the salt beef..

I wanted to show a picture of what the inside of the store looks like to people who havent been there.. Its literally a bodega with a window in the back where you can order tacos.. A few stools and a condiment center where you can get limes, green and red salsa, and a couple of pickled vegetables.. The place is the best taco i have had in NYC by far.

gallery_15057_181_8039.jpg

gallery_15057_181_972828.jpg

Tonight I'll be near this place--another of Asimov's recommendations--and might stop in:
ZARAGOZA MEXICAN DELI AND GROCERY 215 Avenue A, near 14th Street, East Village, (212) 780-9204. A tiny bodega with a small selection of tacos that changes every day, and good tamales.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"