• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fat-Guy Vancouver Radio Appearance

Fat Guy

This comes a bit out of order, since my Web log hasn't caught up with where I am physically, but those of you who would like to listen to a Fat-Guy radio appearance may go to http://www.cfun.com/ and hear me on "The Best of Food & Wine" in Vancouver at noon on Saturday the 11th. That's noon West Coast time, which is 3:00pm in New York City.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

All Fat Guy radio, aaallll the time. :biggrin:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Vancouver is a great emerging restaurant scene, not quite world-class yet (though there are a handful of world class restaurants) but well on its way thanks to an infusion of talent and great local ingredients (some of the best in the world in several categories). It's a fun place to be because there's energy in the air -- you get the definite impression that you're watching something happen, here and now. And the Asian cuisine scene is I think the best in North America. I wouldn't be surprised if, in five years or so, Vancouver entered the worldwide gourmet consciousness as a worthy destination on par with any. As a writer, I try to stay ahead of the curve on things like this (the Gulf Coast of the USA is another example of an area to which I'm trying to devote effort), so Vancouver is ideal for me. Plus, they like to put me on the radio. They have no idea that in the USA I'm a nobody -- they think I'm like a legitimate authority on stuff.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I wanted to hear you on the radio today, but unfortunately missed it.  Will you share with us a little of what you spoke about today when you do your Vancouver report?  Also, will you be sharing with us a recipe from the Vancouver area? (no pressure, only if you fall upon a good one, and have time).  I missed your recipe in the Austin TX report, but was glad to get more details on your breakfast tacos.  :smile:  Thanks.

Sorry about the lack of an Austin recipe. Despite the tons of good food we ate there, I didn't find anything in particular that was recipe-appropriate.

The radio show was mostly geared towards the local audience, but I'm sure I'll repeat some of the things I said on air when I finally get around to writing about Vancouver. I have some logistical issues to figure out first, though!

As a writer, I try to stay ahead of the curve on things like this (the Gulf Coast of the USA is another example of an area to which I'm trying to devote effort), so Vancouver is ideal for me.

Steven -- Do you also believe that Vancouver and the Gulf Coast are undercovered by food writers internationally (i.e., that the existing coverage is more local and limited to local media channels that are less accessible outside of Canada)?   :wink:

It's not a belief. It's a fact!

I mean, there is some coverage, of course -- there always is in such a media-saturated world. But it's not in any way proportionate to the quality of the local cuisines and the worthiness of the destinations.

Check out the Canada board for hot new Fat Guy action. Includes rare nude (hatless) footage.  :wow:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Steven,

Are you prohibited from posting weblogs here because of your articles appearing in canada.com and Canadian newspapers?

We miss your journals.

I've also been wondering if he'd been waylayed by a band of Canadian Gypsies.  Whatever the case, this weeks log (his first installment for canada.com) can be read by

clicking HERE.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak