• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Korean BBQ - Kalbi

Vancouver

Lee, great photos... happy to have another inhabitant in cameraloserland! :raz:

We were just up the block from you this evening at Hapa and strolled past Norboo to walk off a few of the thousands of calories that we consumed at dinner. Question: how did this meal compare in quality to Jang Mo Jib? I've been quite curious about Norboo for a while and am more than happy to read your take on it.

SIDE NOTE: Holy freakin' food geek Batman... 1,000 posts? Someone rescue me from the time-sucking vortex that is eGullet! :blink:

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I went to Hannmee with my brother who looks very Korean.  This sales lady was demonstrating a new product (spicy pork belly - delicous) and yelling at my brother in Korean. He stared at her politely - but clearly not understanding a word she was saying - I think that she took it to mean that he was hard of hearing - because she really started to yell at him.  Maybe she was saying "Why don't you speak Korean anymore!  Have you forsaken your mother tongue! You parents should shoot you!!"  Not sure though.

Too funny. Thanks for the morning chuckle.

Mind you after looking at the pictures I am ravenous. There is "fusion-styled" spot across the street from my office whose owner is of Korean descent. He has his "take" on bulgogi on the lunch menu but his dinner appetizer of the "kalbi stack" is delicious. A number of L.A. style short ribs barbequed and served with some kim chee that I think his mother makes.

You mentioned the meat having been marinated in fruit juice. I know when I have tried making kalbi at home I have used pineapple juice to break down the fibres.

Don't make it very often as my barbeque is usually a "disaster area" after all that sauce and marinade gets burnt onto the grill.

We were just up the block from you this evening at Hapa and strolled past Norboo to walk off a few of the thousands of calories that we consumed at dinner.  Question:  how did this meal compare in quality to Jang Mo Jib?  I've been quite curious about Norboo for a while and am more than happy to read your take on it.

SIDE NOTE:  Holy freakin' food geek Batman... 1,000 posts?  Someone rescue me from the time-sucking vortex that is eGullet!  :blink:

I am not sure - I think that they are both good - but Norboo seemed like it was generally very sweet. Also - you did not get some of the side stuff that Jang Mo Jib that really rounds out a meal. Such as the iced barley tea and the sweet rice drink that you get at the end of the meal.

Norboo however, seemed like prices were much better and I really enjoyed the sashimi rice.

I think that further tasting is required!

Norboo however, seemed like prices were much better and I really enjoyed the sashimi rice. 

Hi there, Lee!

Since you like sashimi bibimbap so much and you (and your Korean-looking brother :cool: ) do make a trek out to Coquitlam, have you tried the sashimi bibimbap at the deli attached to Hannam Supermarket (south-west corner of North Road and Lougheed)? It's food-court-like, but, for a really good price, you get very good sashimi bibimbap. Very nice inter-play of texture and temperature between the rice, finely-chopped lettuce and sashimi (including ika, sake, tai and shiro-maguro), helped along by the pungent raw garlic, pepper and sesame leaves. And of course you may splatter as much of the hot sauce on it as you like. Everytime I find myself in that part of town, I drop by for a fill-up.

And Doegalbi (sp?) on top of Hannam serves one of the best Korean Jajangmien (noodles in black-bean sauce) and Nyengmeng (cold buckwheat noodles) around town, according to many Koreans.

Talking about Korean BBQ, Arirang on Cambie has changed ownership in recent months and the new taste seems to me to have improved much from the previous ownership. All-you-can-eat BBQ at dinner is $17 ($18 on weekends). You really can't beat that price. I am always amazed at people choosing Shanbusen and its Chinese-influenced-Korean-BBQ over the real thing -- Arirang is so much better. I especially recommend the (unmarinated) pork belly, which is surprisingly good and a refreshing departure from the usual sweeter, marinaded taste.

Hope to bump into one of you over one of these places some time. :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

This thread helped get me started..but can someone help me narrow it down further? My relatives are in town and they would like to try some good Korean food (not just BBQ)...which of the restaurants in Vancouver (North Rd is too far, unfortunately) are well-priced and where a large family with quite a range in age can enjoy a meal comfortably (I would think Jang Mo Jib on Robson isn't the most suitable in terms of seating, atmosphere, etc).

This thread helped get me started..but can someone help me narrow it down further? My relatives are in town and they would like to try some good Korean food (not just BBQ)...which of the restaurants in Vancouver (North Rd is too far, unfortunately) are well-priced and where a large family with quite a range in age can enjoy a meal comfortably (I would think Jang Mo Jib on Robson isn't the most suitable in terms of seating, atmosphere, etc).

Hi Pearl,

Taking the skytrain out to Coquitlam takes about 30 minutes. We went to the Korean restaurant INSADONG near the corner of North Road & Lougheed Highway. They have the largest neon sign in the area so it shouldn't be too hard to find. Their food was very good... maybe the best korean restaurant in Vancouver.

We're friends with the master chef at INSADONG and he left Norboo on Robson street ,had some other great Korean chef's join him and opened his own restaurant.

He has a great website (including menu) http://www.insadong.ca

Good luck with your folks in Vancouver!

Yes, I am involved with the ownership of the restaurant Insadong. There are four families which own the restaurant.

As a customer, I was hoping to bring attention to our very new restaurant without appearing biased in this thread.

My sincere apology for any confusion - Bandy.

Yes, I am involved with the ownership of the restaurant Insadong.  There are four families which own the restaurant. 

As a customer, I was hoping to bring attention to our very new restaurant without appearing biased in this thread.

My sincere apology for any confusion - Bandy.

No worries Brandy, most industry people in these forums try to be as transparent as possible, especially when reccomending their own place. :biggrin:

You're just down the Millenium Line from me (I'm at Holdom) so we'll be sure to drop by soon.

A.

• 6 months later...

Arirang seems to be undergoing renovations. Anyone know if they changed owners and/or format? Or just giving it a facelift?

Tried to track down Mi Sun Rae which had been previously recommended and ended up at Wonder BBQ on the corner of Sperling and Kingsway in Burnaby.

Had the BBQ combo for 2 which included a nice selection of side dishes, some mandoo, seafood pajun (pancake), and a wide variety of protein for the BBQ including scallops, salmon, mussels, prawns, kalbi, bulgogi, chicken, etc. Quite the feast for $29.99 for 2 people. The meat was particularly tender compared to other Korean BBQ's I've tried in the area. I'm guessing Mi Sun Rae changed into Wonder BBQ, right?

Cheers!

• 2 months later...

My review of Jang Mo Jib...

I have driven by the restaurant countless times on my way to work in the mornings and have always wanted to check it out. My wife and I tend to be creatures of habit (if we find something we like, we stick to it) but, feeling unusually adventurous last Saturday night, we set out to "try something new".

We drove down 12th and, unable to hang a left on Kingsway, I took the next left and turned into the parking lot next door. Unfortunately, the sign by the entrance made it clear that the parking lot was reserved for patrons of the Ramada Inn (if I remember correctly) and that illegally parked cars would be towed. So, I turned around, drove out, hung a right on Kingsway hoping to find metered parking out front. Alas, there is no metered parking in front of the restaurant - or for the next couple of blocks for that matter. Undeterred, I took my first right and looked for parking on one of the side streets behind the restaurant. As it turns out, the entire area is residential permit parking only. Almost out of options, I turned into the raised parking lot directly above the restaurant - and read the sign informing me that this was also a Ramada Inn parking lot and that illegally parked cars would be towed.

So we turned around and went to Long's Noodle House instead - and had a wonderful meal.

Final score for Jang Mo Jib:

Service: N/A

Ambiance: N/A

Food: N/A

Price: N/A

Edited by LordBalthazar (log)

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com

There is a Jang Mo Jib on Alexandra Rd in Richmond too. It's right across from McKim's if you know where that is.

There might be one more opening in Aberdeen Center. The sign has been up in the food court for months now but the wheels don't seem to be turning.

LordBalthazar, if i remember correctly, we were there with a bunch of friends, some of whom parked in the hotel parking lot and one of the servers there said "yeah, it's fine to park there".

It's a Howard Johnsons now...I miss "Biltmore" :)

album of the moment: Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling - 2008

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone give an update of what good Korean bbq / not so expensive Korean food is around?

Any places by Metrotown/Kingsway?

I went to JangMoJib on the 3rd. Well I didn't like the food there this time. There were too many vegetables with the Bulgogi. I had the seafood tofu soup, and there were two kinds, but who knows which one I ordered. Anyways I didn't like the flavouring on that (seemed like they used seasoning which I didn't like). I don't really consider it a BBQ place but it's Korean none the less. I should have gone with my gut instinct and gone to the place were all the Koreans were going to (down the street on Denman). In my opinion there were a lot of nonKorean people there (so the tastes might have changed a bit). I liked their complimentary dessert (sugar water with some rice) the most. It was very refreshing.

Edited by Quarki (log)

My friend opted to Insadong by my house.

It was alright. I would go back again and order different food.

Quality of the ingredients is great. Sometimes I didn't like the flavour too much.

We ordered (for 3 people) the small hotpot of Goat in house special sauce, Japche(stir fried potato noodle w/marinated beef Bulgogi), and Seafood Pancake. The noodles came first, then the Hotpot and then the pancake.

They were very busy but it was still kind of odd that the appetizer (pancake) came last.

The small hotpot is huge! It feeds about 2 people according to our hostess but I would say it feeds 2 hungry men. It had lots of scallions, enoki and oyster mushrooms (a good quantity of it), and nice quanity + quality of goat. I was not so thrilled about the sauce. It was on the odd flavouring side (the chili peper flakes were good for the sauce but there was something else they put in the soup). I would not order it again I think. It also came with individual dipping sauces: minced garlic, scallions, black powder (I think it's crushed sesame seeds) and the beige sauce they serve with lamb / goat at Chinese restaurants (is it horseradish?). Good quality but I found the flavours a bit odd.

Bulgogi JapChe: YUM! A tad bit on the expensive side (I think it's $14). There was a lot of beef, mushrooms and veggies. I would have liked to have more noodles. The noodles are GOOD! The servings a bit small for that price (compared with Chinese places). I would get it again if I order the combo.

Seafood Pancake: Again, it looks small. I've had bigger pancakes so I was a bit surprised. However, this one is thicker and there's a lot of good seafood on there. The pancake does fall apart but what does one expect?

Overall, good place. It's very busy there. I would go try for the combinations next time. It's a bit expensive I think if you order seperately.

• 2 months later...

Just ate at Jang Mo Jib on Robson. Easily the best Korean restaraunt I've been to where I wasn't able to grill it over wood myself. The place was packed, there was appropriate K-pop playing & the service was GREAT. There was a waiting list, but we got seated immediately & they immediately took our order & had our food out.

I'm not a fan of haemool paju (seafood pancake), but ordered one from multiple recommendations. Best one I've had.

Bul Gul Gi was also good.

• 2 years later...

I've been following Peter Green's terrific travelogue over in the "Elsewhere in Asia" forum, and all the good eats he's had in Seoul has given me a craving for Korean food. So, bumping this topic up, any recommendations for Korean restaurants in the Vancouver/Richmond/Burnaby area? BBQ or other. I haven't had Korean food in far too long!

• 3 weeks later...

Our favourite Korean BBQ in lower mainland:

Kyung Bok Palace in North Vancouver (much better than the Richmond location)

143 3rd Street West

North Vancouver

604-987-3112

Go Gung

1410 Parkway Blvd

Coquitlam

604-552-7722

The above restaurants offer the best Kalbi in our opinion.

• 1 year later...

We hit :

Kyung Bok Palace in North Vancouver (much better than the Richmond location)

143 3rd Street West

North Vancouver

604-987-3112

yesterday for Dinner. I know very little about Korean food, but my wife just came back from two weeks there, and wanted to go. I have to say I was blown away. Soooooooo good!

It's just down the street from us, so contrary to my post in the "Your Place" thread, it may now be this place. Cheap and phenomenaly delicious.

M