• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Korean BBQ - Kalbi

Vancouver

Ok, so I'm on the hunt for the best Korean BBQ in the area. My ideal:

- Excellent meat

- Excellent marinade

- Grilling at your table (ideally with charcoal)

- Excellent and numerous side dishes

What are your favourites? I haven't found any that use real charcoal yet. They all seem to be gas grills.

Cheers!

What are your favourites?  I haven't found any that use real charcoal yet.  They all seem to be gas grills.

I think you'll find (I could be wrong on this) that you can't use charcoal inside ... too much of a carbon monoxide issue. At the very least, the code requirements for ventialtion would put costs out of reach for most.

Again, I could be wrong :hmmm:

A.

What are your favourites?

Don't have any favourite BBQs here in Vancouver, yet. Favourite dishes are kalbi and tounge though for the meats, and a nice variety of the small side dishes.

San Diego does have several great BBQs that I have tried. Although I haven't seen any with charcoal there either.

I think you'll find (I could be wrong on this) that you can't use charcoal inside ... too much of a carbon monoxide issue. At the very least, the code requirements for ventialtion would put costs out of reach for most.

Say it ain't so! Please! Do non-Korean BBQ's use gas only? What does Memphis Blues use?

I know that at the Korean BBQ's they always have good ventilation systems above each grill, so I hope that some have charcoal?!?!?! No answers though so my guess is maybe not.

Ok, so what are your favourite Korean BBQ's with gas grills? :smile:

Cheers!

What are your favourites?  I haven't found any that use real charcoal yet.  They all seem to be gas grills.

Hmm, one of my favourite dishes/meals...

First of all, Muck Ja Gol on Kingsway (near Nelson in Burnaby) uses real charcoal. But except for that one merit, I actually don't find their meat and side dishes all that excellent. Try it if you must.

Chosun, also on Kingsway, near Joyce Street and the border of Vancouver and Burnaby, has probably very good meat and marinade. The side dishes are all right as well. It tends to be quite expensive, so, as much as I like it, I don't go there all that often.

My favourite is (drum-roll please!) Mi Sun Rae -- well, guess what, also on Kingsway! -- near Sperling in Burnaby, which is both reasonably priced and features excellent meat and side dishes. And very authentically Korean. They might still offer this: If you order three orders of kalbi, you get a free pancake. And please try their (unmarinaded) pork belly; it's refreshingly different from the "normal" Korean BBQ we usually know.

Now you got me thinking I should have BBQ tonight... devil you!

This thread has made me crave for yukke bi bim bup (sp?)! Oh and really good quality tongue with salt and pepper with a bit of lemon juice...mmmmmmm:)

Has anyone been to that restaurant on Thurlow near Davie (forgot the name) wher Haru use to be? Is it any good? Speaking of Haru, I miss that restaurant.

ahh where's the button for the fries?

My favourite is (drum-roll please!) Mi Sun Rae -- well, guess what, also on Kingsway! -- near Sperling in Burnaby, which is both reasonably priced and features excellent meat and side dishes. And very authentically Korean. They might still offer this: If you order three orders of kalbi, you get a free pancake. And please try their (unmarinaded) pork belly; it's refreshingly different from the "normal" Korean BBQ we usually know.

This thread has made me crave for yukke bi bim bup (sp?)!  Oh and really good quality tongue with salt and pepper with a bit of lemon juice...mmmmmmm:)

well sine it's not spelled in korean i think any spelling owuld be fine

bork bork bork

Oh and really good quality tongue with salt and pepper with a bit of lemon juice...mmmmmmm:)

You might enjoy the thin sliced tounge at Yuji's Japanese Tapas on 4th. It isn't Korean style - but grilled perfectly with salt and pepper, and I'm sure you can add a bit of lemon. :wink: Very tasty!

Thank you all for the tips out in Burnaby. Seems like a Burnaby BBQ adventure is in order!

Cheers!

Oh and really good quality tongue with salt and pepper with a bit of lemon juice...mmmmmmm:)

You might enjoy the thin sliced tounge at Yuji's Japanese Tapas on 4th. It isn't Korean style - but grilled perfectly with salt and pepper, and I'm sure you can add a bit of lemon. :wink: Very tasty!

Thank you all for the tips out in Burnaby. Seems like a Burnaby BBQ adventure is in order!

Cheers!

Yes! I've had it there before:) I don't go to Korean BBQ here much but whenever I have tongue it's at a Japanese restaurant. That restaurant manager/server at Yuji is always so nice... was shocked to see him leave Wabi Sabi. I've had really good tongue at Moderne Club too, it was one of their daily specials.

So no recommended Korean restaurant in downtown area? I thought maybe with all those ESL students here there might be better restaurants around Robson.

ahh where's the button for the fries?

So no recommended Korean restaurant in downtown area?  I thought maybe with all those ESL students here there might be better restaurants around Robson.

Umm… are all those Korean students potential readers and participants of egullet? There may well be some secret places downtown but if the people who know about them don't come here then those of us who do.... won't have a clue.

Sorry... didn't mean to rhyme :blink:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Yes! I've had it there before:) I don't go to Korean BBQ here much but whenever I have tongue it's at a Japanese restaurant.

Don't forget the robata-style beef tongue served at Takumi on North Road in Burnaby. Delicious.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

So no recommended Korean restaurant in downtown area?  I thought maybe with all those ESL students here there might be better restaurants around Robson.

As you probably are aware, BBQ/Kalbi is not "everyday fare" for most Koreans, who usually have it as a treat -- usually with lots of drinks for a good time. The everyday fare centers more around soup and rice (and kimchi, of course). Catering at least in part to ESL students who probably cannot afford BBQ/Kalbi on a daily basis, the downtown Korean restaurants just may not be as "BBQ-heavy" as those elsewhere, many of which got started years ago serving *Korean* tourists who would come for BBQ and a good time. So, you are likely to find really good hotpots, soups, noodles and so on in the downtown Korean restaurants.

Among my favourites, all of which would have to haul out the butane burner should you order BBQ, since they don't have the fixed, gas type:

1. Jang Mo Jib on Robson (near Denman), which serves the now-ubiquitous Gam Ja Tang ("Pork back-bone soup/hotpot.") It is amazing to see how tasty those "soup bones" can be. Very hustle-bustle though, sometimes with a line-up.

2. Cafe Koreana on Robson (near Jervis) has some good and reasonably-priced dishes. The decor is a little off-the-wall however.

3. And my favourite is Madangcoul on Denman, just around the corner from Jang

Mo Jib. A most friendly place serving very down-home cooking. Mom's cooking, you know.

I have heard good things about Norboo (sp?) on Robson (near Cardero), but have not been there personally. But don't confuse that with Ap Kung Jung, which is just a few stores away; I don't recommend it at all.

Go forth and explore, my friends!

[Edited to format the quote correctly]

Edited by nondual1 (log)

I agree on many of those Robson locations. Quite good Korean soups available at several. For another Korean favourite try BeGaNe out near North Rd. in Burnaby. They do the 11 or 12 course "royal" menu that has some excellent food included on the set menu. Everything is superb except for the sashimi course (I'm not sure why they try to add that in to be honest - all the Korean food was really good). But alas - no grills.

Cheers!

Edited to fix typo.

Edited by Vancouver (log)

1. Jang Mo Jib on Robson (near Denman), which serves the now-ubiquitous Gam Ja Tang ("Pork back-bone soup/hotpot.") It is amazing to see how tasty those "soup bones" can be. Very hustle-bustle though, sometimes with a line-up.

[Edited to format the quote correctly]

Jang Mo Jib is the one I know the best. I took my cousins there and it was their first non'bbq korean meal and they loved it. I particularly like the soups (being Cantonese - this is genetic I think) - nice and brothy.

The Pork Back-Bone soup is very good - spicy! You get this long spine of bone delivered to your table in a big bubbling pot. Kind of scary looking when you see it the first time.

Whenever I am at Jang Mo Jib - two things always seem to happen:

- the techno music is turned up LOUD

- it always feels like a good ole fashioned brawl is going to break out

Though I pick out both a potential dance partner or the person I am going to take down when the brawl starts - nothing has ever happened.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

Whenever I am at Jang Mo Jib - two things always seem to happen:

- the techno music is turned up LOUD

- it always feels like a good ole fashioned brawl is going to break out

Though I pick out both a potential dance partner or the person I am going to take down when the brawl starts - nothing has ever happened.

Sounds like you are taking advantage of those late night hours they offer. It closes at what, around 2am?

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

To answer my own question - Jang Mo Jib closes at 5AM on Friday and Saturday nights. Good to keep in mind for those late nights when you just need some good broth at 4am!

Cheers!

We have tried a few in town and our favourite Korean BBQ restaurant is:

Kyung Bok Palace

143 3rd Street West, North Vancouver BC, 604-987-3112

• recommended dishes:

wang kalbi (BBQ yourself short ribs)

• chap chai (stir-fry rice noodles)

• marinated raw beef (if you're up for it)

• fairly expensive (and your clothes will smell afterwards), but worth a try, one of the best Korean restaurants in town

• unlimited side dishes/kimchi

Not the closest but very tasty food, nicely marinated.

We went to an amazing Korean BBQ place a few weeks ago. Of course I can't remember the name, and it was a bit tricky to find, and it's tiny, but it is on Denman Street. I think there might be a dairy queen beside it. The food was incredible, and the place had lots of foodies in it so somebody knows about it. Packed with a lineup out the door. It is on the North side of the street, 1/2 a block from Robson Street, just off the alley. They have bizarre reservation policy's like - if you are two you can only sit at the bar, not a table, and they only take reservations until 6:30, and they give you an out-by time...but all worth it, the food was fabulous. Next time I drive by I will note the name and post it.

Edited by FannyBay (log)

Are you sure you aren't talking about the Japanese yakitori restaurant called Zakushi? It sounds like the only thing I can think of in that location that BBQ's? (Other than Rooster Quarters which is an entirely different type of BBQ across the street.)

Cheers!

We have tried a few in town and our favourite Korean BBQ restaurant is:

Kyung Bok Palace

143 3rd Street West, North Vancouver BC, 604-987-3112

• recommended dishes:

wang kalbi (BBQ yourself short ribs)

• chap chai (stir-fry rice noodles)

• marinated raw beef (if you're up for it)

• fairly expensive (and your clothes will smell afterwards), but worth a try, one of the best Korean restaurants in town

• unlimited side dishes/kimchi

Not the closest but very tasty food, nicely marinated.

Thanks for the tip. :biggrin:

My wife and I have driven by it a couple of times and

have been tempted to give a try.

Now we will. :raz:

Best,

Owzer

• 2 months later...

Took my aunt and uncle today for father's day - and went to Norboo on the 1500 block of Robson. This place always seems very busy and full of Koreans and Tawainese Students - thank goodness for the english language schools.

The kim chee was very good - this always seems like a bit of test for Korean restaurants. Should taste fresh and homemade - I've been to places were the kim chee tasted like an old dim sum platter - not a good thing.

gallery_25348_1380_640098.jpg

The L.A. style kal bee (short ribs) were juicier than the other kalbee that I have had. Tasted like it was marinated in fruit juice.

gallery_25348_1380_9936.jpg

Seafood pancake had squid, octopus, scallops, and unfortunately - pollock (fake crab). Nice and crispy- but got greasy as it cooled.

gallery_25348_1380_1036368.jpg

This was probably the best thing - sashimi rice. Peices of salmon, tuna, and tobiko over just barely warm rice with shards of iceberg lettuce (it works - here). You added as much of a sweet spicey sauce as you wanted. It was light, refreshing, and substantial at the sametime. Perfect as the days warm up.

gallery_25348_1380_168135.jpg

Also had a bowl of dumplings and rice cake noodles - no picture though. Sorry. But Koreans make a mean beefy broth. Sweet, clean tasting and fortifying.

All in all - a nice father's day lunch. With Tax and Tip - $48 for a pretty subtantial meal. I picked a Korean place for lunch because I figured most of the students would not have their fathers with them and so these places would not be too busy. And I was right.

My only problem was that Korean food seems to have an underlying sweetness that can be cloying after while. The ribs in particular where quite sweet. Still - I think that we should be thankful for the authentic Korean food we have due to the students. For great deals on beef and fish - I also went to Hannmee grocery store in Coquitlam. The short ribs alone are worth going for - thick and meaty - perfect for a slow braise (and at 4.99 a pound for really well marbled specimens). They had fresh whole halibut for about 8.99 a pound - good for those who know how to dismantle such a catch.

I went to Hannmee with my brother who looks very Korean. This sales lady was demonstrating a new product (spicy pork belly - delicous) and yelling at my brother in Korean. He stared at her politely - but clearly not understanding a word she was saying - I think that she took it to mean that he was hard of hearing - because she really started to yell at him. Maybe she was saying "Why don't you speak Korean anymore! Have you forsaken your mother tongue! You parents should shoot you!!" Not sure though.

I think that the schools should now target French and Italian students - who knows what further food developments it could lead too.