• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Kiem Hwa

Shiso

It sounds like you have the red variety, here is a picture that shows both

I can't recall ever seeing anyone eat red shiso raw or in the same way the green ones are eaten. It's most common use is as a coloring/flavoring agent for umeboshi (pickled plums) You will also see recipes for boiling it down with some sugar and then being made into a drink. It is quite refreshing in the summer.

boiling down umeboshi or just plain red shiso?

interesting....!

the red shiso

even impressed my MIL

Funny thing is, I first heard of it from another foreigner in Japan! She got it from her kids kindergarten, which was heavily into natural foods for children.

Red shiso around yakitori, yes! Even green shiso is good, but the red stands up better to heat, maybe???

Also red shiso-wrapped rakkyou pickles...love 'em!

helenjp posted a divine recipe that even impressed my MIL! (thanks helen  )

click here

i really cant keep the stuff in the fridge. everyone loves it! and the colour....luscious fuchsia. simple, gorgeous and tasty. a fine summer beverage.

Some of my older students have been raving about that red shiso drink for a few months now (did Mino Monta mention it on TV or something?). I haven't been impressed with most of their faddish health foods/drinks so far (like that horrid black soybean cocoa drink), so I didn't give this one much thought. But now I'm tempted to try it!

One question, Helen- by "sweetner", do you mean artificial sweetner? Do you think Palsweet would work? Because I packed on a few more kilos during a trip home this summer, and I don't need any extra sugar.

Speaking of shiso, I came back from my trip to discover all of the basil and parsley I'd planted this year, both of which had been thriving for once, had died. And a few metres away was a big healthy batch of (green) shiso plants. Funny thing is, I gave up planting shiso a few years ago, becuase they never lasted long. Wonder why they chose to spring up this year?

Edited by smallworld (log)

hmmm... tried the boiled shiso drink, and found that the apple cider vinegar flavor ran all over the shiso flavor, nearly obscuring it. Must try with rice vinegar instead... or maybe just more lemon juice.

This shiso techique would be a great way of making pink lemonade!

nice article on shiso from the San Jose Mercury (lots of links!) :biggrin:

The purple-red variety boasts an anise-cinnamon flavor and is prized as a natural coloring agent. Traditionally, it is used to tint umeboshi (dried, salted, pickled plums) and pickled ginger. Masa's adds the red leaves to a salad of fennel, figs and balsamic vinegar.  My favorite is the green, with a fragrance that evokes a relaxing afternoon at a spa. When I spy it on a sashimi plate, I purposely leave it for last because it's an especially clean and refreshing way to end the last bite. As executive chef David Kinch of Manresa says, ``It's aromatherapy in a leaf.''
:wink: cool!

I received a green shiso plant in New York just a month before I moved away to the Virgin Islands, a tropical climate. I left the plant in care of my friend, so that he could harvest the buds when the time came. Now, he tells me that the stalks are flowering like crazy and have buds. Is this the time to cut the stalks? I really would like to dry the buds over pickling them. Ever since I had the instant ume chazuke with the dried shiso buds inside, I've been looking for them alone. How would I go about drying these? Also, has anyone had any luck growing shiso in a tropical environment?

Thanks and I'm glad I found this forum!

greenpointmary,

welcome to eGullet and the Japan forum!

I have never dried the buds so I am not sure how to do that, but Kiem Hwa has had pretty good luck growing shiso in Hawaii so I don't see why you shouldn't be able to grow it.

I got my first shiso plant growing..I live in Nebraska.

Its just starting to grow,  I have this in a 12" pot. 

cant wait to play with this stuff.. 

last post in 05...

• Like 4

My Perilla is just starting to grow. I love them, but the last few years I have had not enough and let them get tough before I used them. Hopefully this time around I will harvest the leaves earlier to eat with my Korean BBQ, kimchi making, seasoning,salad making etc. :)

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this