• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beef Cheeks in Seattle

Several weeks ago I asked Don of Don and Joe's if he would order beef cheeks. Said he would give it a try and they are now available. Have to ask as they are in the freezer and when we were there not advertised. Packed in 5 lb bags. Cost is $3. per lb. He has said that he will carry them, if they sell. He has to order in 60 lb packages.

I have ours and plan on doing some as Mario's recipe in March's Bon Appetit.

Kay

They take some simple trimming to make them succulent and absolutely delicious. Maybe a 70% yield or so. Subsititute them in any braised dish, or simmer until tender, chill, then marinate and grill. It's a shame that Don and Joe's doesn't have more people who can take them off of their hands.

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

At the risk of being labeled a total and complete jack-ass, I have to ask the *ahem* cheeky question.

Are these front cheeks or rear cheeks?

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Can pork cheeks be far behind? Let's hope not. Wouldn't mind me some veal cheeks either.

Actually, they had lamb cheeks last week, which I've never tried. It looked like only about 1/2 lb were left. I'd have snatched them up, but had already made other dinner plans. I bet they'd be really good and lamby.

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2