• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen gardens

Miss J

WooHoo! My hop rhizomes arrived, 2 Cacade & 2 Hallertau. I was late getting the corn planted, still have to find the containers for the taters. I potted the Blackberry plant a couple of weeks ago and it's starting to show new growth. When it's grown a little more I'll plant it in the ground. I'll also be harvesting my first limes this year.

No hummingbirds here yet, I get buzzed every year until the Lantana bloom, a hazard of having red hair. Summer looms just around the corner.

WooHoo! My hop rhizomes arrived, 2 Cacade & 2 Hallertau.  I was late getting the corn planted, still have to find the containers for the taters.  I potted the Blackberry plant a couple of weeks ago and it's starting to show new growth.  When it's grown a little more I'll plant it in the ground.  I'll also be harvesting my first limes this year.

No hummingbirds here yet, I get buzzed every year until the Lantana bloom, a hazard of having red hair.  Summer looms just around the corner.

ME TOO!!!! LOL my hair is red and all my life I have had to dodge those little demons!!!

we have two kinds here the Anna's winters over in my bamboo ..he is a pissy boy who just comes right to the window if the feeder needs juice and gives me dirty looks..then the Rufus come in around May and they are constantly moving ..dancing and dive bombing my head while I am in the garden

I love those little buggers :smile:

I love hops they make a beautiful arbor is that what you are doing with them?

today is going to be the only nice day here (rain returns tomorrow of course...look where I live ..in a "rain trough" :raz: ) so I need to quit procrastinating ..

I am going to devide and move strawberries..sage..thyme... whatever else I can find .. to my rock tiers so they spread out there ..and cut the lawn(really moss and weeds that have taken over my lawn) and plant more carrot seeds

happy gardening!

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Jim use the lime leaves in cooking if you have not tried that yet you should ..I always used to raid my mothers lime tree for leaves mince them up and put them in all kinds of dishes ..they work well in Asian Curries when you can not find Keffir leaves

Piglet 

ME TOO!!!! LOL my hair is red and all my life I have had to dodge those little demons!!!

we have two kinds here the Anna's winters over in my bamboo ..he is a pissy boy who just comes right to the window if the feeder needs juice and gives me dirty looks..then the Rufus come in around May and they are constantly moving ..dancing and dive bombing my head while I am in the garden

I love those little buggers  :smile:

I love hops they make a beautiful arbor is that what you are doing with them?

today is going to be the only nice day here (rain returns tomorrow of course...look where I live ..in a "rain trough"  :raz: )  so I need to quit procrastinating ..

I am going to devide and move strawberries..sage..thyme... whatever else I can find .. to my rock tiers so they spread out there ..and cut the lawn(really moss and weeds that have taken over my lawn)  and plant more carrot seeds

happy gardening!

Spring is an interesting time of year for redheads, I get "attention" from curious bees and wasps too. The hops will serve two functions, provide me with aroma hops and shade the Western side of my house. Defenitely an arbor, perhaps even two as I have 4 rhizomes. I probably won't get much growth this year but it will give me time to get an arbor ready for next year.

I feel for you, it rained almost every day last Summer and everything just went to seed. You've inspired me to keep at it, thanks!

Jim use the lime leaves in cooking if you have not tried that yet you should ..I always used to raid my mothers lime tree for leaves mince them up and put them in all kinds of dishes ..they work well in Asian Curries when you can not find Keffir leaves

Thaks, I'll try that. :cool:

my carrots are all sprouting I am so excited about these purple ones I can not wait to see how they turn out! peas are coming up all over so I think I will try to use the bamboo I dried last year to make things for them to crawl up ..

I have a spot in my yard that is screaming for hops ...it is a home made wrought iron gate that goes into the lower yard ....I know people grow it here in this area and I know brewers use it for beer and the flowers are beautiful I think ...but that is all I know ..is "aroma hops" fragrant?

I guess I could google that ...

I found 495857 strawberry plants when I cleaned out my bed so I split them and now have strawberries all over the freaking place! poking out of rocks crawling down walls ...and for ground cover ..I have no idea what type they are because an old friend of mine gave me a bucket full from his yard to start my own ...they are small to medium berries with the most intense flavor and they spread like crazy ..not tiny like Alpine..they are a regional one that has been grown in Western Wa for ages ..I just do not remember what he told me they were ....I miss him so much he was best of the best when it came to teaching me about gardening ..gave me all kinds of seeds...collards grow all over the yard here because I just have to have them to remind me of him ...and scarlet runner beans are always planted in his honor ...

anyone else getting the bug? or already way into planting?

I have never grown corn...ok I lie I grew a seed that came in a package of cornnuts one time it was like 10 ft high and grew this strange ear that had about 10 giant kernals in it ..that is it ..

almost time to put sunflowers in (those are for the chickadees!)

I lived in Texas one time and grew a little garden on the balcony of my appartment ...I had a bunch of fire ants make a home in them and one day they crawled up my jeans ..that was pretty much the most painful thing I can remember happening to me!!!

I hope people will post pictures?

Piglet 

my carrots are all sprouting I am so excited about these purple ones I can not wait to see how they turn out!  peas are coming up all over so I think I will try to use the bamboo I dried last year to make things for them to crawl up ..

I have a spot in my yard that is screaming for hops ...it is a home made wrought iron gate that goes into the lower yard ....I know people grow it here in this area and I know brewers use it for beer and the flowers are beautiful I think ...but that is all I know ..is "aroma hops" fragrant?

I guess I could google that ...

I found 495857 strawberry plants when I cleaned out my bed so I split them and now have strawberries all over the freaking place! poking out of rocks crawling down walls ...and for ground cover ..I have no idea what type they are because an old friend of mine gave me a bucket full from his yard to start my own ...they are small to medium berries with the most intense flavor and they spread like crazy ..not tiny like Alpine..they are a regional one that has been grown in Western Wa for ages ..I just do not remember what he told me they were ....I miss him so much he was best of the best when it came to teaching me about gardening ..gave me all kinds of seeds...collards grow all over the yard here because I just have to have them to remind me of him ...and scarlet runner beans are always planted in his honor ...

anyone else getting the bug? or already way into planting?

I have never grown corn...ok I lie I grew a seed that came in a package of cornnuts one time it was like 10 ft high and grew this strange ear that had about 10 giant kernals in it ..that is it ..

almost time to put sunflowers in (those are for the chickadees!)

I lived in Texas one time and grew a little garden on the balcony of my appartment ...I had a bunch of fire ants make a home in them and one day they crawled up my jeans ..that was pretty much the most painful thing I can remember happening to me!!!

I hope people will post pictures?

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your purple carrots and your peas. I have had no luck with peas, just too hot here I guess. This is my first attempt at hops and apparently I live just below the lower lattitude of their preferred growing zone. I can only guess that they'll be somewhat fragrant as I think you have to crush the cones to release their oils. Hopefully they aren't as tender as peas...

It's great that you had a mentor and really nice of you to plant in his memory.

Corn is to easy to grow, in fact it grew in spite of me. I grew Silver Queen & Ruby Queen last year. Both were just perfect for picking and eating without cooking. They smell incredible when the tassles appear, a heavenly aroma. I tried sunflowers one year, the supposed "giant" 14 foot sunflowers grew to about 5 feet, flowered, and that was it. Fire ants are a PITA, always showing up where you least expect them. I was able to eradicate them from my yard for about three years but they are back. I hear that they have reached Tennesse and they were seen purchasing long black leather coats, scarfs and boots for the trip North. :wink:

I forgot to mention the Fig tree, I was supposed to trim it back and time got away from me:

gallery_56234_5723_1202470.jpg

The Kumquat tree that's just starting to give me good yeilds:

gallery_56234_5723_1656900.jpg

The Blackberry seedling with new growth:

gallery_56234_5723_1719219.jpg

A really bad pic of the Lime tree's little fuits. It was so cloudy that at 7:30 in the morning my camera had to use it's flash.

gallery_56234_5723_870612.jpg

Edited to: Change pic size & capitalize Blackberry

Edited by JimH (log)

OMG everything looks so beautiful!!! that fig tree!!! I have two small ones that produce nicely ..but that one is amazing!!! I love kumquats!!!...thank you for sharing those pictures...please keep them coming I love to see what is up in other yards!!

as soon as my fruit trees bloom I will take some pictures they are just so close right now!!!

..how funny about the fire ants ..man those were horrific!!!!

blackberries :wub: ...lets just say Western WA I have to hide mine from the weed patrol!!! they are considered an invasive noxious (sp?) here ..but just look at my stash ...shhhh do not tell but I nurture this secretly!!!

this patch grows berries almost the size of small plums and I can not get enough of them!!!

they have thorns! but are soo worth the effort

(this pic is not of course now it was last July but it is what i have to look forward to) gallery_51681_4569_61543.jpg

gallery_51681_4569_82694.jpg

ok really I am going back outside now to weed and plant a few more things before this weather turns...I just felt it drop some degrees and the clouds are moving in over the Sound ...argh it would have been nice to have a few more days of good weather ..but all this rain makes things very green and lovely so I am not going to complain at all ...well I will but just ignore it ...

Piglet 

I slobbered all over my keyboard, I have just seen the mother of all berry patches. I'd never get anything done outside once they were ripe, I'd just sit there snacking away. :wub:

"I slobbered all over my keyboard, I have just seen the mother of all berry patches. I'd never get anything done outside once they were ripe, I'd just sit there snacking away. :wub:"

I do exactly that every year ..when I have my fill right form the bushes then I start cooking with them....one year I made wine but bottled it too soon and they all went off like rockets..lesson learned now I just make them into cordial ..safer for me...

they are a very serious problem here.... but ..this spot is really contained... my neighbor and I have worked hard at that! he loves them too and his side looks just like mine!

it is also home to all kinds of wildlife too so I can justify it sort of ...

all fair because you have that outstanding fig tree I would kill for ..I pruned mine last fall and am so afraid I did something wrong ..holding my breath until I see the leaves ...I just tried fresh figs for the first time when I grew them and ..euphoric flavor talk about love ..omg the color inside ..I had no idea what to expect when the first one fell off in my hand ..it was huge! ...broke it open and that brilliant pink insde the green ...

Is that the type you have? ..I wish I kept track of what the names of everything is ...but I dont :sad:

I just picked parsley chives and thyme for a rice dish I am making for dinner ..it is not much yet but it is a start...

also today I started a new compost bin! ..not sure how many people get excited about that but I am determined to compost as much as possible ..plants thrive on it and talk about less garbage !

Piglet 

Well I am a complete slacker this year. My chard is from last year so it is these lovely tender leaves (riddled with "pinch-bugs") popping out of tree trunk like main stalks. My cardoons are thriving- I cut them back and they return. Our Southern California weather has been so erratic that I was hesitant to plant- going from 90 degree days to 57 degree days at random. With the prediction of rain for last night I just broadcast all my opened packets of mustardy greens and spinach, and lettuces. We shall see. I only have a 5' x 10' raised bed. My father is the tomato master, and he sadly reported yesterday that a gopher had pulled one of his healthy plants down into his hole to the tune of only 6 inches remaining up top. By the time he got the gopher bomb or whatever...the poor 'mater was completely gone! Loving your photos and continue to be inspired.

tell me how to deal with cardoons should I cut the leaves and cook them? I have let them go into these massive thistles for years and not eaten them yet I confess ..should I now?

Piglet 

all fair because you have that outstanding fig tree I would kill for ..I pruned mine last fall and am so afraid I did something wrong ..holding my breath until I see the leaves ...I just tried fresh figs for the first time when I grew them and ..euphoric flavor talk about love ..omg the color inside ..I had no idea what to expect when the first one fell off in my hand ..it was huge! ...broke it open and that brilliant pink insde the green ...

Is that the type you have? ..I wish I kept track of what the names of everything is ...but I dont  :sad:

I just picked parsley chives and thyme for a rice dish I am making for dinner ..it is not much yet but it is a start...

also today I started a new compost bin! ..not sure how many people get excited about that but I am determined to compost as much as possible ..plants thrive on it and talk about less garbage !

MMMMMM Blackberry Summer Ale or even better a Blackberry Lambic! The closest we have down here are Dewberries but they are not invasive. The fig tree bears a light tan/pinkish fruit that I pick when it droops at the neck. I think it's an Alma but I haven't really made the effort that I should to correctly identify it. The flavor of the fresh figs is incredible a little like a peach and very sweet. Fig jam gets made when I get the time otherwise I just eat them fresh and share them with family, friends and the local wildlife of course. I sheet compost aka Lasagna Gardening, so nothing goes to waste and I don't have to bring in soil.

You said you grow ginger, do you think I could grow it in a pot? Do you have pictures of your entire backyard? You said that you have a lower yard so I'm curious.

Have a great weekend, Jim

tell me how to deal with cardoons should I cut the leaves and cook them? I have let them go into these massive thistles for years and not eaten them yet I confess ..should I now?

Truth be told they are mainly there because I use those giant leaves as large "lily pads" for my water turtles in a kiddie pool. I love the look of the blooming thistles as well. (Eeyore, where are you?) I have cooked them in the gratin recipe on Egullet, but since I didn't really blanch then like you do celery (tie together to keep pale), they were quite bitter. I am thinking of treating them like bitter melon this year and using in a fermented black bean stir-fry and also in a soup like the stuffed b-melon one with a pork and garlic paste- maybe sandwich the stalks together and tie-off and poach in a broth.

Thanks Heidi

I had heard they were bitter ..to me they look like dinosaur thistles! they do have stunning flowers ..I googled them and I guess they can be invasive as well ...

it is ok I think I will just leave them for the bumblebee's they seem to know exactly what to do with them!

they are a massive and interesting plant that is for sure! one of mine grew about 10 ft last year!

I had thought of drying the flowers I wonder if they would keep the color?

it is raining here again! Go figure huh?

glad I got the big things done I think between showers! I am going to do some weeding

lots of chives and parsley now that is for sure!

Piglet 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been experimenting with a greenhouse we built over the winter. So far, the only unqualified successes are the greens we have been eating on an almost daily basis for a month. This should tide us over until the spinach and lettuce in the garden are ready early in May.

I've been experimenting with a greenhouse we built over the winter.  So far, the only unqualified successes are the greens we have been eating on an almost daily basis for a month.  This should tide us over until the spinach and lettuce in the garden are ready early in May.

I yearn for a greenhouse :wub: ..can you show pics and tell how you built it and what is is made from?

thanks in advance

Piglet 

I've been experimenting with a greenhouse we built over the winter.  So far, the only unqualified successes are the greens we have been eating on an almost daily basis for a month.  This should tide us over until the spinach and lettuce in the garden are ready early in May.

I yearn for a greenhouse :wub: ..can you show pics and tell how you built it and what is is made from?

thanks in advance

The tell part is easy but the pics part is beyond my ken as I lack most skills necessary to use even basic technology. However, my wife is a person of many talents who covers for many of my deficiencies and I will see if she can put on the photos while I fill in a little narrative. I can't guarantee anything before the weekend, but I'll try tonight. In the meantime, I'll provide some description of the thing here.

I've long wanted a greenhouse and a leaky roof on a lean-to attached to another building was the impetus to build it. We tore down the lean-to, salvaging what we could, and built the greenhouse on the same spot. We did everything ourselves except the masonry and wiring(for ventilation). The south, east, and west walls and the roof are polycarbonate and the north wall is brick. In January, when I put a thermometer in there, it reached the 70s inside without supplemental heat when it was in the 30s outside. The dimensions are 24 X 7(approximately). The floor is concrete and all of the tables inside were made from wood salvaged from the lean-to. The water supply is from rain barrels. Those are the basic details but the photos, when we get them up, will show all of this more artfully.

gallery_30410_5914_142391.jpggallery_30410_5914_1092.jpggallery_30410_5914_209407.jpggallery_30410_5914_209407.jpggallery_30410_5914_14617.jpggallery_30410_5914_73611.jpggallery_30410_5914_96199.jpg

thanks in advance

We're having some issues but the previous post shows work in progress on the greenhouse.  We'll see if we can get things straightened out.

Your recycled greenhouse is beautiful. I'm beyond jealous. Sigh: Here in northern Illinois I can't really get my hands dirty for a month or so.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

how awesome this is! ..you have to fix the difficulty and post more pics like how the rain barrels are set up to use the water and ..what your growing set up looks like

I am having me one of these :smile:

Piglet