• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gifts to France

ecelizzy

Greetings!

Might anyone have any ideas about great gifts (grand ou petit) to take to France? (Something that is mayhaps particularly "American" or "Californian.") We asked some Francais recently who replied (of course) that there was nothing of quality here that didn't exist in France. (Apparently they haven't yet tasted the 1999 Hartford Court Zin!)

Thanx for your help!

lizzie

I haven't tasted the 1999 Hartford Court either, but I often bring Zinfandel. If I was from California, I'd always bring Zin.

:biggrin:

This has led to a big smile from a charming young woman inspecting hand luggage on an intra France flight when she told me I did not have to bring my own wine as they have plenty in France. A friend of ours brings Zinfandel to his wine making neighbors in the Languedoc and once brought a mixed case to someone who was curious to know what sort of wine they made of the grape in the US as he was experimenting with planting Zinfandel with the government's permission. The French are quite strict about what grapes you can grow and where you can grow them.

The other bottle we are likely to bring is Ron del Barrilito, an excellent brandy like sipping rum from Puerto Rico, but this makes sense for us as my wife is from the Island.

The truth is that almost everything of quality can be had all over the world and even the French are no longer so chauvinistic that they don't import canned Mexican food. I'm not sure they'd know what to do with the fresh ingredients however.

My fallback when I can't think of a suitable food or wine item, is to bring picture books. There's no shortage of good American photographers or books devoted to one aspect of California or another.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I get asked to bring hot dog rolls.

The best way to eat a hot dog is to cut a length of baguette to match the dog, impale the bread on a sharpened broomstick, dip the hotdog in mustard and insert it into the hole made by the stick so that the mustard is forced back along the sides of the sausage.

Appropriately enough the first time I saw that act was watching a vendor on the streets of Pigalle.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

• 1 year later...

Forgot to ask this in my previous post but what would be an appropriate gift to take to my friend's aunt as a hostess gift. She lives a half hour outside of Paris. My friend and her family will be in Francr at the same time I will be and her Aunt has graciously asked us to come for lunch.

We will be taking a train from Montparnasse-about 1/2 hour trip from Paris. Are flowers, chocolate or something from home most appropriate?

If flowers-any taboos?

If chocolate-is there anything specific the French go mad for?

Please advise

If you are American, a gift the French usually crave is Vermont maple syrup. These can be gotten is a glass maple-leaf shaped vessel (Or other attractive packaging). The French love sweet things, and maple syrup is certainly a unique sweet taste and unavailable in Europe.

I agree with the maple syrup idea. It shows great thought and effort, which will be appreciated by your hostess. If you don't want to schlep, flowers or chocolates are perfectly acceptable.

As I look back on my time there, my French friends would bring interesting pates or unique cheeses or petit fours or chocolates. I liked the pates and cheeses most of all.

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

From a West Coast'r, how about a lovely bottle of California or Oregonian wine?

Not to say anything against the California Wine industry, but isn't that like giving Jacques Torres a Snickers?

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

From a West Coast'r, how about a lovely bottle of California or Oregonian wine?

Not to say anything against the California Wine industry, but isn't that like giving Jacques Torres a Snickers?

Offense accepted.

Things from home that represent where you live are always thoughtful gifts. I've found that the French don't always know what to do with maple syrup, although it's beginning to find it's way in to desserts in French restaurants, so an appreciation must be growing. By and large the French enjoy wines and for all their public chauvinism, will enjoy an American wine as well. The idea that all American wine is inferior to French wine is patently offensive, although don't press your French hosts for an opinion, as they can be sensitive to admitting they're not the only ones to make wine. :biggrin:

We always bring American wine to our daughter's in-laws and they bring us French wine. We also bring jam and honey if it's artisanal and regional. Friends of ours who live most of the year in the Languedoc, often bring wine from the states as gifts for their friends in France. One point in regard to wines is that your host is not likely to serve it when you're there. In the US, a wine brought to a dinner party is often served at the dinner. That's a custom I don't like as it's the host who should be choosing the wine to compliment the food, and that's been discussed here in another thread. In France the gift will more likely be accepted as a gift and not as a contribution to the meal.

Another good choice is a book of art photographs, especially if the subject is meaningful to you. Photographs of your city, state or a place you vacation may be appropriate.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

The gifts that I have taken to acquaintances in France are regional specialty items. As I am from TN both Jack Daniels or George Dickel whisky; Chowchow; and local honey and preserves have created wonderful responses. A Bottle of Gentleman Jack given as a welcome gift to Pierre Troisgros got us a table in the kitchen and a special lunch one afternoon.

Some French friends of ours have made us aware that the ubiquitous (in the US) (and Italy) liqueur Sambucca is mysteriously unavailable anywhere in France; a different taste than Pastis, this would be a nice gift if you want to give an alcoholic product;

The maple syrup gifts we have given have always been excitedly received, and while they might not know what to do with it (because they never had it) they can learn quickly.

All excellent suggestions so far. The foodstuffs thing is great if you know that Auntie is a foodie or cook that would appreciate such a thing. American wines or spirits also great if you are certain they'll be well received. I like to give people "crafty" tablewear items as hostess gifts, particularly if I've been invited to a meal. Perhaps something uniquely American like a set of quilted placemats, or a trivet or unique bowl or honey jar with a dipper, a small woven basket - something like that. That way your hostess will think of you whenever they use the item again with other guests or family. :smile:

I often go to the Sugarloaf Craft shows listed HERE. This website is particularly helpful since it has items well categorized and sorted.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Something else that is not available here in France is a nice sherry at a reasonable price. When you come to see me, bring pam cooking spray and good sherry. Oh, and a can of Medalia D'Oro. And a candy thermometer.

:rolleyes:

I agree with the Maple syrup gift, it is one of the staple offerings on my list. My French father in Law calls it his "drug" and has it poured over his fromage blanc every night after dinner.

You might also consider an artisanally made clothing or jewelry item, like a scarf, or hand smithed earrings, from your region. The French are crazy over patchwork quilts as well, although you probably won't want to spring for such an extravagant gift.

-Lucy

Medalia D'Oro? I've never tried to buy coffee in France and will generally agree that it's better in Italy, but why Medalia D'Oro and not Illy or Danesi? Actually I prefer some of the coffee in Spain. If I ever come to Lyon via Spain, I'll bring Spanish coffee and Xerez, although what you really want is ham and lomo. :biggrin:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

We've often brought French friends a fine British cheese -- a good Stilton, or Mrs Montgomery's Cheddar, or something like that. They are invariably consumed quickly.

Jonathan Day

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."

Another good choice is a book of art photographs, especially if the subject is meaningful to you. Photographs of your city, state or a place you vacation may be appropriate.

We have had enormous success bringing just the opposite. When we visit a home we will take photos of the view from our bedroom window, of a pretty corner of the garden, of an interesting architectural feature of the house. When we return, we will bring one of these images in a simple but pretty frame. Our hosts are thrilled to receive something so personal that tells them how much we enjoyed a previous visit, and are charmed to see a view of their home from a different perspective.

eGullet member #80.

Medalia D'Oro? I've never tried to buy coffee in France and will generally agree that it's better in Italy, but why Medalia D'Oro and not Illy or Danesi?

:smile: It's the prime ingredient in "mama strength" coffee. It has a special flavor that we can't find anywhere else. It reminds me of home.

Medalia D'Oro? I've never tried to buy coffee in France and will generally agree that it's better in Italy, but why Medalia D'Oro and not Illy or Danesi?

:smile: It's the prime ingredient in "mama strength" coffee. It has a special flavor that we can't find anywhere else. It reminds me of home.

I have the opposite need. When I'm home, I crave reminders of France. :biggrin:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Thanks for so many fabulous ideas. I enjoyed many of your suggestions and will certainly be using some of them. This board is certainly visited by a delightful group of individuals.

It might have simplified things if I had mentioned I am an East Coaster, living right outside of Philadelphia, the cradle of the USA if you will-sorry Boston.

While we have many fine, fabulous chefs and restaurants-neither wine nor syrup are local exports-although we have certainly vacationed in Vermont, having family in New Hampshire.

Somehow, I'm not sure that soft pretzels or cheese steaks would hit the right note.

Happily however you have given me quite a bit to be going on.

Thank you.

Thanks for so many fabulous ideas.  I enjoyed many of your suggestions and will certainly be using some of them.  This board is certainly visited by a delightful group of individuals.

It might have simplified things if I had mentioned I am an East Coaster, living right outside of Philadelphia, the cradle of the USA if you will-sorry Boston.

While we have many fine, fabulous chefs and restaurants-neither wine nor syrup are local exports-although we have certainly vacationed in Vermont, having family in New Hampshire.

Somehow, I'm not sure that soft pretzels or cheese steaks would hit the right note.

Happily however you have given me quite a bit to be going on.

Thank you.

Gabrielle:

The Sugarloaf Crafts Festival is at the Fort Washington Expo center right outside of Philly this weekend. Starts on Friday and goes through Sunday. I might be there on Saturday myself.

Check THIS link for hours, directions, downloadable admission coupons, etc.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Depending on how much money you want to spend, I like to bring a small piece of Annieglass-these are beautiful hand made glass bowls/plates/trays made in the tradition of antique Roman glass with a band of either 24 kt. gold or real platinum.

You see them often as dishes in food magazine layouts. There are several small pieces(candy dish, relish tray) either rectangular or in the shape of a star or heart, which are easy to pack. In Santa Cruz, where they are made, you can buy excellent quality seconds at 40% off;online the prices are retail.

Their website is ANNIEGLASS

Bon voyage!

Roz

Edited by rshorens (log)