• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Green Spring Almonds

FoodMan

I'm bringing back an old topic for you guys! I'm hoping that the participants on this forum will be able to answer my question.

I have been curious to try green almonds for a while, but I've never noticed them at my market (in Canada). I am travelling to Paris in a few weeks, and it it my understanding that it will be the end of the green almond season.

Does anyone know if it is possible to peel the fuzzy pods and preserve the meat by freezing it for transport back to Canada?

Any ideas about this are appreciated! Cheers!

I'm bringing back an old topic for you guys!  I'm hoping that the participants on this forum will be able to answer my question.

I have been curious to try green almonds for a while, but I've never noticed them at my market (in Canada).  I am travelling to Paris in a few weeks, and it it my understanding that it will be the end of the green almond season. 

Does anyone know if it is possible to peel the fuzzy pods and preserve the meat by freezing it for transport back to Canada?

Any ideas about this are appreciated!  Cheers!

The fuzzy pods are what make young green almonds so special. :unsure:

IIRC, green almonds don't freeze well (or at least, they don't thaw well). However, they will keep for a while in your carry-on bag. Just make sure you get them as fresh as possible, as soon as possible before your departure. Wrap them in paper towels and place them in a plastic bag. Good luck!

I'm bringing back an old topic for you guys!  I'm hoping that the participants on this forum will be able to answer my question.

I have been curious to try green almonds for a while, but I've never noticed them at my market (in Canada).  I am travelling to Paris in a few weeks, and it it my understanding that it will be the end of the green almond season. 

Any ideas about this are appreciated!  Cheers!

The fuzzy pods are what make young green almonds so special. :unsure:

IIRC, green almonds don't freeze well (or at least, they don't thaw well). However, they will keep for a while in your carry-on bag. Just make sure you get them as fresh as possible, as soon as possible before your departure. Wrap them in paper towels and place them in a plastic bag. Good luck!

I agree, but good luck getting them past the customs agents. Green fresh stuff is usually a big non, non

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 1 month later...

Here in the south of France the season is just about over. When I first noticed them the fuzzy pods were already too tough to even think about eating, and the little interior nut was kind of bitter. I didn't know the salt water trick, which might have helped. And they got a ton of mold on the pods after sitting on the counter for 3 days, so I doubt they'd travel well.

I found these at my local Asian market recently and bought some. My thinking is to try to make a flavored liquor out of them: is that traditional? I know the Italians make a walnut liquor from green walnuts; would the same principle apply to almonds?  And do you use the whole thing or just the inner pod?

No Kevin, I doubt you'll get a good liquor out of green almonds (I am thinking of the variety you eat whole) like the Nocino made from walnuts. Green wlanuts are all but inedible, bitter and I use them (sliced skin and all based on an Artusi recipe) to make a good liquor. Green almonds are no where near as bitter as walnuts, especially the green outer 'skin'. The variety you eat whole (earlier in the season) is pretty tangy, the later one (where you have to crack the shell) you eat the inner nut and is slightly nutty and sweet.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Crud.  So you don't think it'd work even if I used the inner nut?

Personally, I would not try making a liquor from the white almond nut. I doubt it will make a good one. It's way too mild tasting and slightly on the sweet side. Who knows, though, if you have them and want to do something other than eat them, give it a shot and see how it goes.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog