• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Full Moon -- Arthur Avenue Pizzeria

Jason Perlow

I may have been just ravenously hungry, but Rachel and I had some particularly good plain slices on Arthur Avenue in the Bronx at Full Moon Pizza this last weekend. Nice, big classic style NY slices, nice acidity and tangyness to the sauce, good quality low moisture cheese. Crust was about as good as you could get from a gas oven, was nice and thin and pliability was excellent. If you are shopping on Arthur Avenue and want a nice, quick lunch, I totally reccomend their plain slices. Note that I havent tried their toppings, I can only speak from the quality of the plain slices, but the toppings looked good. I also saw their Sicilian pies which also looked good, but we didn't try them.

Full Moon

602 E. 187th Street (corner of 187 and Arthur Avenue)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I may have been just ravenously hungry, but Rachel and I had some particularly good plain slices on Arthur Avenue in the Bronx at Full Moon Pizza this last weekend. Nice, big classic style NY slices, nice acidity and tangyness to the sauce, good quality low moisture cheese. Crust was about as good as you could get from a gas oven, was nice and thin and pliability was excellent. If you are shopping on Arthur Avenue and want a nice, quick lunch, I totally reccomend their plain slices. Note that I havent tried their toppings, I can only speak from the quality of the plain slices, but the toppings looked good. I also saw their Sicilian pies which also looked good, but we didn't try them.

Full Moon

602 E. 187th Street (corner of 187 and Arthur Avenue)

I remember trying that place some time last year. I was not such a fan of the pizza. I seem to remember their crust being too crisp and crunchy for my taste. But that doesn't quite match up with your description of their slice, so maybe I am remembering wrong, who knows. But I do remember the day was not a total loss, as I was consoled by the lobster tail I picked up afterwards from the little bakery about half a block west on the same side of 187th as Full Moon....hmm, can't remember the name. What was it??? That place was good.

Tupac, could you please be more specific? Some of us (I'm thinking of Sam Kinsey in particular) want the crust to be very thin, and crisp. Was it burnt, or do you just prefer a thicker, chewier crust?

Michael aka "Pan"

I can definitely say the crusts on the slices we had were not burnt.

We also had the slices up the block at Ivana Pizzeria, and they couldn't compare. They were doughier, crust not as cooked and the sauce was considerably sweeter. Not BAD pizza if you compare it to 90 percent of the stuff out there, but nowhere as good as Full Moon. I'd totally kill to have a pizza place as good as Full Moon in my neighborhood.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Tupac, could you please be more specific? Some of us (I'm thinking of Sam Kinsey in particular) want the crust to be very thin, and crisp. Was it burnt, or do you just prefer a thicker, chewier crust?

Sure thing, Pan. I, too, am a thin crust fan. And for me, the pliability is the key. I do not like thin and crunchy (or thick and crunchy for that matter). I want the slice to be thin and fold-able, like the pies from, say, Patsy's in East Harlem, or Grimaldi's, for example. From that I remember of the slices I had last year at Full Moon, they were both too thick for my taste and too crunchy (which was probably just a result of the fact that the pie from which they came was not fresh out of the oven, so the slices needed to be re-heated for a few minutes in the oven). The crust had a solid crack when folded, and that is something I do not like. For me, there is a difference between a crisp crust (which I like) and a crunchy crust (which I do not), and from what I remember, these two slices were crunchy. For all I know, Full Moon may turn out excellent slices on a pretty consistent basis. But from what I remember from when I went, I will most likely not give them a second shot, (1) because I very rarely have occasion to be in the Bronx and (2) because there are still many other pizza places I would love to try all around NYC. Does that answer your question?

[...]For all I know, Full Moon may turn out excellent slices on a pretty consistent basis.  But from what I remember from when I went, I will most likely not give them a second shot, (1) because I very rarely have occasion to be in the Bronx and (2) because there are still many other pizza places I would love to try all around NYC.  Does that answer your question?

Yep!

Michael aka "Pan"

The slices af Full Moon when we ate there were definitely not "crunchy". They're either making their pizza different now or you must have just had bad luck.

The slices af Full Moon when we ate there were definitely not "crunchy". They're either making their pizza different now or you must have just had bad luck.

Yep, sounds to me like I just had some bad luck. My recollection of the crust as being "crunchy" is probably my brain's way of trying to erase the memory of eating burnt pizza :raz:

• 1 month later...

My husband and I stumbled on a great little pizzeria in the Pelham Bay [East Tremont] section of the Bronx last week. Louie & Ernie's or Ernie & Louie's [can't remember the name order]. On Crosby Street, near Waterbury.

Thin crust with a bit of char, nicely seasoned sauce, not fresh mutz and not a load of it, which I prefer.

Nice service, too and ~ bonus ~ they serve bottled beer.

Definitely worth another visit.

:smile:

Erica

Yeah, I'm a big Louie and Ernie's fan - everytime I'm in NY, I hit that spot once or twice. They just recently remodeled.

I've also been happy with the slices at Full Moon - while certainly not my favorite Bronx pie, it's heads and shoulders above Catania's, at the other end of the street. I still like Catania's calzone, though.