• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any news on Bethesda's Old Homestead?

KOK

Does anyone have an update on the opening of The Old Homestead, New York's famous steakhouse in Bethesda? The website, under events, says to look for an April opening. I was hoping someone here might have the lowdown. Many compare The Old Homestead to Peter Luger.

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

• 1 month later...

I see their website now says a May opening. Has anyone been by there? Does it look like it's almost complete?

Thanks very much,

Kevin

I believe that the Old Homestead is the second best steakhouse in New York (but by no means I have not been to all of them). I would say that Lugar's Steak is on a different plane, but everything else is better at the Old Homestead.

Per an email I received Saturday, the Bethesda Old Homestead location will open Monday May 16. This was signed by Thomas Wallick the Director of Operations . The number listed was 301-654-2006.

Thanks,

K

I had the opportunity to attend a pre-opening dinner Saturday night and the $19, Kobe hot dog -- a well-spiced weiner served with Kobe chile and an assortment of condiments, including chipotle ketchup, champagne mustard and a cheese sauce made with century-old cheshire -- is far more than a mere footlong. It is immense and well turned out.

We also tried the signature "Gotham Rib," which was also huge. I felt like Fred Flintstone attacking a bronto-chop, if Fred had had access to well selected, properly-aged prime bronto. Served in a manly steakhouse style -- ie, don't ask for Bernaise, you fop -- it was one of the best pieces of beef I've had in a long time.

The "Tuna Martini" was a bracing combination of fresh tuna, seaweed and toasted sesame and, while I am no New Yorker, the cheesecake struck me as a serious and tasty bit of work.

The space is very modern -- "Modernist" in the formal sense -- for a Steakhouse, light and laid out in a circle beneath bold ceiling forms, and featuring the occasional large square of primary color on the wall, as though Ellsworth Kelly were part of the design team.

Sommelier David Russell is doing the lord's work, trying to pull together a Kobe-worthy wine list in Montgomery County, with a California focus. I thought that the Rhone-ish blend (didn't get the name) he was serving Saturday night showed a little flair and worked well with both steak and hot dog, so the future looks promising for both the vino and the beef.

Formal opening is tonight.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Sound good. But were they serving any of these?

"The Old Homestead Steakhouse (7501 Wisconsin Ave., Bethesda; 301-654-2006), which opens this month in the Chevy Chase Bank Building, hopes to outshine everyone with a $65 surf ’n’ turf 'burger' composed of sushi-grade tuna and Kobe-beef patties topped with foie gras and served on a brioche with three dipping sauces: horseradish aïoli, Champagne mustard, and Cheshire cheddar." (Source: Washingtonian Magazine)

All on the same bun? Burp...

Edited by iamthestretch (log)

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

"The Old Homestead Steakhouse (7501 Wisconsin Ave., Bethesda; 301-654-2006), which opens this month in the Chevy Chase Bank Building, hopes to outshine everyone with a $65 surf ’n’ turf 'burger' composed of sushi-grade tuna and Kobe-beef patties topped with foie gras and served on a brioche with three dipping sauces: horseradish aïoli, Champagne mustard, and Cheshire cheddar." (Source: Washingtonian Magazine)

The only Kobe available the night I was there was the dog, but the surf 'n' turf is listed on the permanent menu, so I assume that it will be available beginning tonight.

Feeling flush? Maybe we can split one. We'll have a couple of martinis at the bar and talk ourselves into it.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

The only Kobe available the night I was there was the dog, but the surf 'n' turf is listed on the permanent menu, so I assume that it will be available beginning tonight.

Feeling flush? Maybe we can split one. We'll have a couple of martinis at the bar and talk ourselves into it.

Can we please NOT call it Kobe. It is American Waygu and not even close to the original. If you have ever had the original, you would know what I mean. It is like comparing apples and oranges. Seriously the difference is that great. Sorry off my soap box now...

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully."

—George W. Bush in Saginaw, Mich., Sept. 29, 2000

Can we please NOT call it Kobe.  It is American Waygu and not even close to the original.

OK, If we're going to be picky, that's WaGYu. As in: "Very witty, Stretch, you wag you!"

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Can we please NOT call it Kobe.  It is American Waygu and not even close to the original.

OK, If we're going to be picky, that's WaGYu. As in: "Very witty, Stretch, you wag you!"

I wasn't being picky. Kobe beef used to mean something. Now it doesn't. Even a bigger joke, some of the waygu produced in this country doesn't even grade Choice. Just another example of Americanization (bastardization) of ingredient I guess.

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully."

—George W. Bush in Saginaw, Mich., Sept. 29, 2000