• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Recommendations Needed

jim07044

Need to help a friend with graduate school dinner party:

The actual graduation ceremony is on Saturday, May 6th at Seton Hall at

6:30. We would like to go somewhere relatively nearby for dinner, and invite

friends and family to join us for dinner or after-dinner drinks. I don't

know the area well, and could use your advice for restaurant

recommendations. I like the Highlawn Pavilion, but am wondering what our

other options are. If it was a small group, the price wouldn't matter to

me...but if more of our friends would be able to join us at a more

moderately priced restaurant, to me, that's more important.  I do want

something nicer than a Thai Chef or Mexicali Rose, but a BYOB might be nice,

too. What do you think?

I need to give some options, and closer to the university the better...

Verjus in Maplewood

Jocelyn's in Maplewood Center

Lilac in Millburn

Martini's in Millburn

High Lawn Pavilion is very nice. Relatively nearby is the Manor (same owners). Fascino and Corso 98, both discussed on this board, are in Montclair center, which prob pushes the 15 minute limit

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Seton Hall Prep in West Orange or Seton Hall University in South Orange or Newark? Not that they are all that far apart, but if you want to keep it as short a drive as you are saying, it could matter.

Saturday night lobster buffet at The Manor would be a good choice for a graduation night dinner. Something for everyone (there is more than seafood), and you know what the price is going to be be (except drinks). Of course, if you want BYOB, it wouldn't work.

Seton Hall Prep in West Orange or Seton Hall University in South Orange or Newark?

The university in South Orange.

And this is a graduate school celebration for someone in their mid-30s, corporate manager, 10+ years working experience, etc... just to make a distinction that this is not for the lets-go-crazy-I-just-graduated-college-and-I-still-live-at-home-with-no-job set.

So far the recommendations seem good. Any web links to the restaurants mentioned, whether detailed reviews or their own web sites?

Edited by jim07044 (log)

You could go to Due Amici which is a good, reasonably priced, BYO Italian in West Orange. They have a large back room where they may be able to accommodate a large group. The restaurant is right down the hill from the Highlawn Pavilion. Maybe you can go there for after dinner drinks.

Susan

All of the above are good recommendations, but you could easily hop on 280 East and go to the Ironbound area of Newark for some great Spanish food or Brazilian Rodizio. I'd recommend Mediterranean Manor at 255 Jefferson St (973) 465-1966 as a place that could seat a large group at one big table, reasonably priced, especially the rodizio. Fun, not BYOB, but you can order sangria by the pitcher to cut down on the individual drinks on the bar tab.

Since you asked for websites, The Manor and Portuguese restaurants in Newark.

A place that we go to that is very reasonable and can handle a large party is Solano's on Forest Street in Orange. The food is good, Southern Italian, the service is friendly and the price is right.

I'd like to strongly recommend you get OUT of South Orange/Maplewood after graduation at SHU...those are fairly small towns, and I can only imagine how nuts every restaurant is after graduation takes place!! Plus, parking can become an issue with some places. First things first, though--does he want a place where he can afford to treat a large group to dinner, or is his preference to have them join him afterwards for drinks? I couldn't tell from (I assume) his note to you, but I think knowing that would make a difference. Either that, or give us a price point!

BYO thoughts, along with the restaurant web sites (do a search on the NJ forum of eG and you'll find plenty on each):

Trattoria Fresco in Caldwell (esp in May--you might be able to sit out on the patio!) would work well whether for dinner or joining up for drinks, and it's all of about 3 miles further than Highlawn Pavillion and a LOT more relaxed. And I'm betting that Evan could work out a menu for you/him if he does want to host dinner!!

Scalini Fedeli in Chatham (more $ but still BYO) is lovely for dinner but may be too $$ for a big group.

If he'll give up the BYO idea and/or wants a better location for drinks after dinner, the lounge at the Hilton Short Hills would work well. For a non-BYO dinner, how about Restaurant Serenade in Chatham?

I'll keep thinking on this one...but whatever you do, don't wait too long to make a reservation wherever you end up! It's only a month away, after all.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Dinner party huh? There's a fine establishment serving chicken, called cluck-u on Morris St in Morristown. :raz:

Curlz has a good point on calling Trattoria Fresco. I hosted a lovely party of 18 for at the restaurant. The guy there Evan knows how to arrange a party. The place has charm and isn't pretentious.

http://www.artfuldiner.com/trattoriafresco.html

Libretti's at 554 Nassau St. in Orange. A fantastic Italian restaurant.

It's far enough away from SHU to be away from the graduation crowd, yet close enough for an easy drive afterwards. They have a private room that can accomodate a larger party, and it is very affordable.

It's not BYO, but they do have a separate bar area where people an meet before hand and stay afterwards for cocktails.

Very easy to find near the train tracks just off Scottland Rd.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

I think it was good advice to put distance between yourselves

and the campus.

Although Lilac & Martini has their fans, I am not among them.

Chatham is probably farther than you wish to drivre en group.

Serenade is very pricey and somewhat uneven. Scalini Fedeli

requires reservations far in advance and is no longer BYO.

Jocelyne's in Maplewood offers lovely french inspired continental cuisine....but seats about 30+ and hence, may not be right for you.

Trattoria Fresco is so noisy that your group may have trouble connecting.

Fiorino's [italian cuisine] in Summit has a side room which you might inhabit if your party is large enough. They also have the space to accomodtae last minute add ons. Italian. Not BYO. Basilico in Millburn is also italian, freer form,

BYO. It tends to get crowded so reserve in advance.

The buffet at the Manor is a nice idea...space, lots of dishes, no culinary challenges, elegant but you know your price in advance.