• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

RecipeGullet Returns

Marlene (and all the other RG staff)...

Thanks for putting in the hard yards and getting RG up and running again; I'm sure it will be both a valuable resource in itself and a strong pillar of eGullet.

I'd quite like to submit my recipe for confit duck, which provoked (wonderfully unexpectedly) a veritable frenzy of duck fat lubricated slow-cooked goodness.

What's the best way of doing this? Just the original recipe and then a link to the thread within the recipe post?

Thanks again...

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

Marlene (and all the other RG staff)...

Thanks for putting in the hard yards and getting RG up and running again; I'm sure it will be both a valuable resource in itself and a strong pillar of eGullet.

I'd quite like to submit my recipe for confit duck, which provoked (wonderfully unexpectedly) a veritable frenzy of duck fat lubricated slow-cooked goodness. 

What's the best way of doing this?  Just the original recipe and then a link to the thread within the recipe post?

Thanks again...

Exactly. Assuming it's your recipe, or one you've modified enough to fit our copyright policy, enter the recipe into RG. In the introduction section, you can provide a link to the existing thread discussion if there is one. There's detailed help Here on linking recipes to threads.

If there is not an existing thread, but you'd like to start one to discuss techniques etc, start the thread, then capture the URL and put it into your recipe.

Don't forget to try the ingredient wizard to copy and paste your ingredients over if you already have this recipe in your computer somewhere!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Exactly.  Assuming it's your recipe, or one you've modified enough to fit our copyright policy, enter the recipe into RG.  In the introduction section, you can provide a link to the existing thread discussion if there is one.  There's detailed help Here on linking recipes to threads. 

If there is not an existing thread, but you'd like to start one to discuss techniques etc, start the thread, then capture the URL and put it into your recipe. 

Don't forget to try the ingredient wizard to copy and paste your ingredients over if you already have this recipe in your computer somewhere!

Splendid... I'm somewhat Luddite in my recipe storage; 5x3" cards all the way...!

Thanks for the help...

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

Without melkor, dave the cook and jason's technical skills, this would not have happened, but in particular, melkor who worked with me endlessly on this.

Without fifi and snowangel contributing several hours to helping to develop the RecipeGullet help files, it would have taken me twice as long. And to maggietheccat for her editing eyes!

Without the solid support of our Executive Director, who believed in our project, we would never have gotten off the ground. 

Excited to see this back; thank you Marlene, melkor, dave the cook, jason, fifi, snowangel, maggiethecat and all others involved!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to point out that RecipeGullet only seems to be getting about 1 submission per day. We know the interest level is there purely through the number of "hits" from people reading it, but I think we need to see it manifest a bit more solidly in terms of more submissions. We see a lot of recipes pop up inside people's posts, and I'm just urging that more of you also give inputting them into rG a shot. Actually Marlene might put things more strongly than that, but she's on vacation. :biggrin:

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Once I am free (from students), I know I'll be investigating RG more thoroughly. Summer is my time to play and try new recipes.

Since I am still somewhat new to eG, I don't know what the former format was but am thrilled to have a solid base of recipes to investigate.

Merci to all who worked to bring it back!!

Burgundy makes you think silly things, Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them ---

Brillat-Savarin

• 1 month later...

We are thrilled that everyone seems to be happy that RecipeGullet is back. As I browse the forums though, I note many people continue to post recipes straight to a thread.

Please take a moment and enter your recipe into RG and linking to the recipe from the thread. There are many advantages to doing so, but the best one is ease of searchability.

Threads can die off and be hard to find, but a recipe put into RG is easy and instantly found.

If you need help with inputing recipes, please contact myself or snowangel. Either of us would be happy to assist you.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.