• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What food is only found on your island?

Every island in hawaii has a special food that can only be found there. On maui it's Guri Guri...here on the big island it's the drive-in favorite the Gravy burger which is a hamburger with gravy on it . what is your island's secret?

How is the gravy burger eaten? Is there a dollop of gravy on the patty, which is then covered by the bun, or is it eaten open-faced like a hot turkey sandwich?

Every island in hawaii has a special food that can only be found there. On maui it's Guri Guri...here on the big island it's the drive-in favorite the Gravy burger which is a hamburger with gravy on it . what is your island's secret?

Hello Everyone!

I am new to this (as in, this is my first post) so I hope I'm doing this correctly)! Anyway in regard to alohabear's post, where is your favorite spot for the gravy burger? And, is Guriguri still around? If anyone knows where on Maui (or any other island) you can get it please let me know.

Oh, and one of the things I absolutely have to have each time I go to the BI is Cinnamon bread from a small bakery in Waimea (Kamuela) called Leilani Bakery. It's absolutely the best. I've searched most of the bakeries over here looking for something similar but nothing compares. Anybody have any suggestions?

Aloha!

It's eaten like a burger . It comes with or without cheese. I tell you if someone on O'ahu comes out with one like how they all now make Loco mocos it will start a new thrend.

I know a guy who might be interested. We would need some instruction. Would Loco Moco gravy do, or does the sauce start sliding toward teriyaki glaze? I presume the gravy is not running off the edge, as it would be difficult to eat. The gravy is thicker, perhaps, like a cream sauce? Does the sandwich come with lettuce, tomato, onion, or any other complement?

Also, where did it originate? Loco Moco has it's Lincoln Wreckers story. Cow country in Waimea? Olaa Steak House?

I'll also mention it to Eddie Flores at L & L.

Alohabear, years from now foodies will speak in hushed tones about how you took the gravyburger to Honolulu and the rest of the world.

As for Oahu, Neighbor Islanders used to stock up on Manapua before going home. Is

there still an absence of Manapua shops on the Neighbor Islands?

Hey, the gravyburger manapua! The carnivore's version of the haupia mallassada!

Welcome, Ms. Meliss. Yes, Tasaka Guri-guri is still there at Maui Mall. Reid posted a recipe for guri-guri on Ono Kind Grindz a while ago.

Regarding the gravyburger . . . yes I'd like to know too what kind of gravy. I guess it would have to be loco moco brown gravy, or else it would be kind of a wet teriburger. But kimcheeburger rules, in my opinion.

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

Welcome, Ms. Meliss.  Yes, Tasaka Guri-guri is still there at Maui Mall.  Reid posted a recipe for guri-guri on Ono Kind Grindz a while ago.

Regarding the gravyburger . . . yes I'd like to know too what kind of gravy.  I guess it would have to be loco moco brown gravy, or else it would be kind of a wet teriburger.  But kimcheeburger rules, in my opinion.

Location, SK, location? Is the kimcheeburger dipped in kalbi sauce before it is topped with kiimchee?

Does the W & M burger qualify as an Oahu gravyburger or is the sauce too close to a teriyaki sauce?

Hello Everyone!

I am new to this (as in, this is my first post) so I hope I'm doing this correctly)! Anyway in regard to alohabear's post, where is your favorite spot for the gravy burger?

I like Blaine's in Hilo

It's eaten like a burger . It comes with or without cheese. I tell you if someone on O'ahu comes out with one like how they all now make Loco mocos it will start a new thrend.

I know a guy who might be interested. We would need some instruction. Would Loco Moco gravy do, or does the sauce start sliding toward teriyaki glaze? I presume the gravy is not running off the edge, as it would be difficult to eat. The gravy is thicker, perhaps, like a cream sauce? Does the sandwich come with lettuce, tomato, onion, or any other complement?

It's the same gravy as a Loco, cook the burger on the grill ,like you would any other burger , Dip in brown gravy when done and put on bun. ... i'm not sure of it's origin... but it's so ono.

Edited by alohabear (log)

Welcome, Ms. Meliss.  Yes, Tasaka Guri-guri is still there at Maui Mall.  Reid posted a recipe for guri-guri on Ono Kind Grindz a while ago.

Regarding the gravyburger . . . yes I'd like to know too what kind of gravy.  I guess it would have to be loco moco brown gravy, or else it would be kind of a wet teriburger.  But kimcheeburger rules, in my opinion.

Thank you for the Guri Guri recipe. I am a bit skeptical as to whether it will turn out the same as the Tasaka's version but will try.

I am thinking that the gravy on the Gravy Burger is more like classic brown gravy vs. teriaki. I'm visualizing the teriaki being a little too runny and besides, wouldn't that then be a "Teri Burger". Where would you draw the line? The kimcheeburger sounds good. Weren't we disscussing location a post or two back? Or do you make your own?

Another item I can think of is Nori Chicken. Not too exciting, I know. And, I haven't found nori chicken over here yet that I really like (in part because I try to stay away from fried foods). However, there used to be this tiny Okazuya in Hilo on the street on the JC Penny's side of the old Hilo Mall (not Prince Kuhio) just before the bridge on the right side (sorry this sounds like a scavenger hunt). I believe there was a large Banyan tree and possibly a service station across the street. This must have been about 16 years ago so my memory of it is fairly vague. Anyway, I think about it to this day.

PakePorkChop:

My BI family still has to get Manapua, half-moon, pork hash, etc, etc. From Oahu. Manju and Anpan were popular items to take back as well.