• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Veggie Heaven" in Upper Montclair?

Montclairite

I see that the Balcony on Valley Road & Lorraine Ave has gone out of business, with a new place called "Veggie Heaven" apparently to replace it. Anyone know anything about this? I know there is at least one Chinese restaurant by that name in the area...

Don't know anything about this location, but iirc, there's a place with the same name in Parsippany...it's in the shopping center across from Eccola. Last time I was there I just thought it was weird--they use things like "chicken" and "beef" in their dishes--all fake, of course. Personally, I like my protein without quotation marks around it! :laugh: But I will say that the vegetarians in the crowd LOVED it, and the all-veg dishes (without the soy "meat" were tasty. I'd still rather go to a real Chinese restaurant where there are veg and non-veg dishes available, though. My two cents!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Veggie Heaven in Parsippany and Teaneck are popular kosher locations as everything is made with tofu.

That's what I was wondering; I've eaten at the one in Teaneck several times, but couldn't believe that's what was comiing to Montclair, which does not have the observant Jewish population to draw on. (I've lived less than a mile from Valley & Lorraine for over 30 years.) I for one am looking forward to it. Actually, I don't think that the Teaneck location is any longer considered kosher, strictly speaking, as it is no longer supervised, but I may be wrong here.

I've eaten at the one in Parsippany, as it is close to my workplace. I have to say that I actually enjoy the food they serve. I'm not too keen on the "mock meats" - or as they say on their menu "ingenious blends of ingredients" - but their tofu dishes are pretty good. Since all their stir-fry's are cooked in olive oil, their "Tofu with Tomato and Basil" is very tasty.