• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Merits of barware

LindyCat

If you're in Boston, check out Adam at The Boston Shaker.  He's got a great selection of barware, bitters, etc., and a willingness to find it for you if he doesn't have it.

If you're not in Boston, well, bug him to get his webstore up and running... :wink:

i got a price list from him. i wish i had a place like that around here!

I have used the spherical ice trays and the produce horrible ice.  Apparently ice is not meant to freeze in a sphere.  The best sphere i've seen comes from the japanese sphere maker that you can see on youtube and their web site.  It costs too much for anything over 30mm though.  One day....

I use the SFMOMA ice sphere molds - I think they work pretty well. Are these the ones you're talking about and why don't you like the ice?

i was looking at the SFMOMA ones as well. they seem rather expensive for what they are though. does the ice come out as well as the ice in their photo?

The spheres that I've seen at the Bradstreet Crafthouse come out quite nicely. They are not perfectly clear as I've seen in some pictures off the various websites, but have unique and beautiful patterns inside of the sphere. They definitely held their shape throughout the cocktail, i.e., didn't crack or break apart. They're using a Japanese model.

Edited by newbie21 (log)

The Taisin ice ball maker (I hesitate to call it a "mold" since it creates the sphere by melting already-frozen ice) won't make a clear sphere unless the ice you start with is already clear. Right now, I'm not aware of any practical ice maker that makes clear ice in the size required to make a fist-sized ice sphere.

--

• 4 years later...

I have been using a tulip shaped 4 oz port glass that offers a generous 2 1/4 inches at the mouth. Have yet to test with port but it works wonderfully for rum.

Edit: actually "tulip shaped" may be the wrong term. The glass is wider at its mouth than at any other point:

FancyRumCocktail12012013.jpg

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

This whole thread is of great interest to me, however my specific question tonight is what would one use for a "stem punch glass"? Which a recipe for whiskey punch I made last night called for. For lack of anything more specific I used

http://images.replacements.com/images/images5/crystal/B/baccarat_sully_water_goblet_P0000004275S0002T2.jpg

...that I purchased from replacements.com. The size worked out about right, even though the piece is supposed to be a water goblet. Most punch glasses I have seen do not have stems.

I have been using a tulip shaped 4 oz port glass that offers a generous 2 1/4 inches at the mouth. Have yet to test with port but it works wonderfully for rum.

Edit: actually "tulip shaped" may be the wrong term. The glass is wider at its mouth than at any other point:

FancyRumCocktail12012013.jpg

Nice photo

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've been using a Kotobuki Sphere Ice Ball Tray for 2.5 inch round ice. The Kotbuki has worked really well after the second try. However today I saw this new product blogged by umamimart:

http://umamimart.com/2014/02/ice-ball-machine/