• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flavored syrups

I just ordered a snow cone maker and was wondering if someone could point me to a local store that had a lot of syrup choices (I'm assuming I would use the same type of syrup used for coffee drinks). I am especially interested in Black Cherry or Wild Cherry syrup.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

The selection at Cash and Carry (4th Ave S) isn't pretty good, it's unbelievably large. Like a whole aisle. I've often wondered why they have that many, but they've been stocked up for years, so I guess it's working for them. Wild cherry, watermelon-kiwi, chocolate-banana, whatever, it's there.

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

I have the makings for several different alchoholic snow cones (White Russians, Cuba Libres, B52s and Zombies come to mind) but I also have a 3-year old niece and want to make something for her (and I confess I am a sucker for Black Cherry and Wild Cherry Snow Cones too).

Do you need a membership for Cash & Carry?

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

No membership necessary for Cash and Carry. The name truly says it all, although they of course take credit/debit. I think it's an Associated Grocers company. It's just a restaurant friendly version of a grocery store, so everything generally comes in larger sizes, but the prices are the same for the public. It's worth wandering around the store to see what they have. Prices are lower than regular stores on the same products.

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

BTW, where is Cash & Carry?

BTW, where is Cash & Carry?

Check your yellow pages... several in the Seattle area and Tacoma as well. Here are the ones that aren't in Tacoma. It's possible that some of them aren't part of United Grocers, but I know the Bellevue and Ballard locations are good.

Cash & Carry Grocers-Whsle

2208 136th Pl NE

Bellevue, WA 98005 - 1848

(425) 644-4638

map | address book

Grocers-Retail

6412 204th St SW

Lynnwood, WA 98036 - 5972

(425) 672-1886

map | address book

230 Andover Pk E

Tukwila, WA 98188 - 2903

(206) 246-6017

map | address book

1760 4th Ave S

Seattle, WA 98134 - 1502

(206) 343-7156

map | address book

230 Andover Pk E

Tukwila, WA 98188 - 2903

(206) 246-1735

map | address book

1155 NW Ballard Way

Seattle, WA 98107 - 4639

(206) 789-7242

map | address book

13102 Stone N

Seattle, WA 98133 - 7617

(206) 364-1733

map | address book

Edited by JasonTrue (log)

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

Thanks, I'll try the Ballard one.

I go to the one on 4th Avenue because it is by the busline (in fact, it is right off of Busway). And I have no car.

I never buy my flavored syrups anywhere else because the prices are so unbelievably good at Cash & Carry.

However, there are a couple of flavors that my husband wants to try but the Cash & Carry that I frequent doesn't have them, so I may try the Ballard one. If not, I might break down and buy them elsewhere, just to try them.

I have to tell you... we get quizzed on the bus when we have our syrups with us (on the way home). "Are you going to a party?" No, we just like 'em! We tend to buy at least 4 or so at a time (makes for less bus trips).

Misa

Sweet Misa

you can make your own, here is the recipe

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!