• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mutts in Wilmington

For the four or five of you who have been following my search for good places to have lunch in Wilmington, Delaware, I can now report on a small eatery of (apparently) recent origin that is definitely worth a visit--especially if you're a hot dog aficionado.

The place is called Mutts, at 901 North Orange Street. It's only open for lunch on weekdays, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. The menu is straightforward: burgers, foot-long hot dogs, fries and salads. (A second location, just opened in New Castle, has a more extensive menu and is open longer hours.)

The hot dog at Mutts is one of the best I've ever eaten--big and juicy, with really beefy flavor. It's served on a sub roll that goes well with the dog and doesn't fall apart under the burden of the various toppings available. So far, the one topping I've had is the chili-cheese dog. Mutts' chili is a bit tomatoey (guess they went easy on the cumin), but it and the Cheez Whiz complement the dog very well. There are a wide range of toppings to choose from, including peppers (sweet and hot), sauerkraut, chopped onion and sweet onion sauce. There's also a "Buffalo Mutt" with hot sauce and blue cheese, and for $5.75 they will sell you "One Big Mess"--a foot-long hot dog with a little bit of all 15 toppings they offer.

The fresh-cut, skin-on fries probably would have tasted better had I consumed them on the spot rather than carried them back to my office off Rodney Square, which meant that they had been steamed for a while. But even in this degraded state, you could tell that these were the genuine article. A few fries that had managed to escape the steaming were crisp outside and nice and mealy inside. You can get them with Old Bay or Cajun spice if you want to add a little zest to your fries.

The restaurant describes its hot dogs as Chicago-style--and the walls are decorated with photos from the Windy City--but when I asked her, the waitress told me they weren't Vienna Beef wieners, the top brand in Chicago. They were every bit as good, though, and much better than local fave Dietz & Watson. She did not, however, divulge the supplier's name. Guess you gotta protect your trade secrets as best you can.

Service is fast and efficient, and the staff are friendly and surprisingly unharried given the steady lunch-hour traffic.

I'll definitely be back for the dogs again, and will also try their burgers to see if they stack up alongside the franks. Burgers are topped similar to the dogs (though fewer options are offered), and there is a carb-watcher's special on the menu--no bun, but extra lettuce, tomato and grilled onion.

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I like this place, too. I always get my dogs covered with the sauerkraut, which is wonderful. I usually skip the fries, as the hot dog is a meal unto itself.

Edited: Because spelling counts.

Edited by shelly59 (log)

Is there still a Deerhead Hotdog downtown? This was always the standard for dogs in Wilmington.If it is still there you should check it out and report back.Deerhead's specialty is their secret sauce they cover their dogs in.It's kinda spicey and taste like it has alot of mustard in it.

I like this place, too. I always get my dogs covered with the sauerkraut, which is wonderful.  I usually skip the fries, as the hot dog is a meal unto itself.

So are the fries. What Mutts calls a "small" order ($2 standalone; included in the price of their everyday combos) is roughly equivalent to two large orders from a typical chain fast-food place.

And I was right: the fries are much, much better consumed there, where they won't get steamed in a bag. They were exactly as I thought they would be. (I went back today to order my first ever Chicago-style dog, with mustard, tomatoes, sweet relish, chopped onion, a dill pickle spear and a pepperoncini pepper. That was delish--a hot dog and a salad all in one!)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

• 1 year later...

No, the downtown Deerhead Hotdog place is gone. :sad: There is one on Maryland Avenue, and I believe that there is also another place on Lancaster Avenue (The original??)

Posted this on another thread, but it is probably more on topic here:

My wife and I took Holly's advice on Deerhead last week. We went to the MD ave. location, which was the only one listed in the yellow pages. While it was a decent dog, I have to say I was confused as to how this dog rated better than The Dog House's offering on the South side of the city. I didn't find the Deerhead sauce all that interesting, it was actually a little bland, and sin sauce, you are left with a standard dog on a standard bun. Nicely cooked fries, though, which were served with a vinegar bottle and a can of old bay.

The Dog House is where it's at in Wilmington, or for the area in general. Holly notes that its all about the sauce for Deerhead. Well, its all about the bun for the Dog House. Lightly toasted on the face with a slightly flakey exterior and chewy interior. It is a roll worthy of discussion. I'm not a fan of the Dog House's watered down chili from a can (at least, I'm guessing its not homemade), but every other dog combo offered is exceptional. Personally, I just stick with two cheese dogs with mustard. Comfort food at its finest!

Looking forward to giving Mutts a try. Maybe for lunch today.

Edited by jwjon1 (log)

I'm saddened to report that Mutt's on N. Orange Street is no longer is business which is too bad cause I was really looking forward to a dog and fries today! back to the ol' dog house standard, i guess... but you'll hear no complaints from me on that one!