• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Happy Rooster?

paca

We had a very good meal a year or so ago at The Happy Rooster in Philadelphia, but nobody seems to mention it. Living in Chester County, we have to choose carefully since we aren't in Philly as often as we like, so I wondered if people think it's any good now......?

I like it. I was there for a very good steak frites for lunch not long ago, and sat at the bar. It was a very hectic day, and the back dining room was packed so service was not ideal for the two or three of us at the bar.

It was very good food, well prepared. I liked the old place, but I honestly think the food is better since the change occurred.

Good luck.

• 8 months later...

118 S. 16th St.

Philadelphia, PA 19102

215-963-9311

We found this place after leaving the Samson Street Oyster House.. We were walking down the street when the sky just opened up.. Not seeing a taxi around we ducked into the nearest bar.. We had a few drinks and noticed they had a menu.. I assumed it would be just normal bar food.. But after checking out the menu, I was really impressed.. The menu is something of a collection of favorite dishes from the bars staff... Each thing looked extremely tempting.. From Braised Short Ribs, grilled Fresh Whole Sardines, to Gravlax and Branzino.. My biggest problem was saving room for dinner which was 6 hours away..

The first thing I ordered was eggs with creme fraiche and Paddle Fish Caviar.. I am a big fan of Paddle Fish Eggs and believe they are not used as often as they should be.. This dish was just perfect. The ingredients spoke for themselves and the combination was fantastic.. Nice portion of Paddle Fish Eggs.. A less thoughtful designer might not have portioned it so well.. This dish would not have been as good if by the end one were just left with a plate of eggs.. The eggs prepared wonderfully..

gallery_15057_2187_794423.jpg

At the same time we were served House Cured Gravlax.. There were burnt pieces of garlic around it giving it the bagel feel.. There was also capers and this horseraddish, herbed cream cheese.. The Gravlax wasnt super cured, so it was almost like eating raw salmon.. But it was really of such great quality.. I was super impressed.. This dish is a winner.. Also served with that great bread pictured with the eggs..

gallery_15057_2187_16994.jpg

We ended with a burger.. Ordered Medium Rare, it actually came out Medium Rare.. So often the temperature is something always asked but never really followed.. I like my burgers bloody and thats how I got it.. The bun I am not a fan of, but the burger itself was good.. This was the weakest of the three dishes, but not bad.. The fries were worth getting the burger for..

gallery_15057_2187_469455.jpg

It was pouring and it was New Years Eve Day, so I didnt get a good feel of the crowd.. But we spoke with the manager/bar tender for the few hours we hung there.. He was a really charming and friendly guy from Montreal.. He runs a great place and his enthusiasm and creativity are on display here.. I was really impressed with this place and wish it was down the street from me, I would be a regular..

Edit: New Camera, I have no idea how the time got there..

Edited by Daniel (log)

We were there years ago. Has it been renovated recently? I don't remember a back dining room. The bar ran the length of the small dining room, and there were booths along the opposite wall, which made up the dining area.

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

I attended a wine tasting luncheon at Happy Rooster several months ago and the food they served was delicious. I used to stop in there for an after work drink on the way back to my car from Sansom Street Oyster House once in a while too. It's a nice place and the food is quite good. Oddly, it always seems to be a place I'll stop for a drink but don't usually think of it when I'm perusing my mental Rolodex for dining. That might have to change.

The Happy Rooster also has an incredibly well stocked bar, albeit a little pricey. The bar manager there (whose name is escaping me at this particular moment) is great. I've had some very interesting conversations with him about all kinds of spirits and drink mixing and wine, etc. He's quite passionate about his job. I totally respect that.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

We were there years ago. Has it been renovated recently? I don't remember a back dining room. The bar ran the length of the small dining room, and there were booths along the opposite wall, which made up the dining area.

They expanded into the space next to it, on Sansom St, a few years ago.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.