• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paprika bugs?

Luckylies

I just opened two different containers of paprika. In one I found a fully growing colony of little bugs with brown shells, in the other there was a white caterpiller-like bug walking around. Both of these jars came from my moms house (infestation?) but they were from different stores and countries. What the hell? anybody ever hear of these freaky little bugs? Hope I haven't been eating them :huh:

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

The bugs are beetles (I forget the genus and species) and the white thing is its larvae. They are very common in any kind of ground peppers. I store my paprika and various chile peppers in the freezer for a while to kill off the eggs that are just part of dealing with ground peppers.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

How long doyou store freshly ground paprika and dried peppers in the freezer in order to destroy the lavae ?

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

I read somewhere that two weeks works but I have no idea if that is true. I just end up keeping it in the freezer in a glass canning jar. That keeps it fresh and the jars keep it from picking up other flavors.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I started keeping my paprika in the freezer after this thread...

paprika pests

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"