• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rum Awakening!

Dan Lestrud

For years a Bacardi and Coke has been my favorite drink. I would always buy the Silver and never tried anything else. I thought I had a good thing going. A few months ago I had a Captain Morgan and Coke which I thought was good also.

About three weeks ago at the liguor store I was trying to decide between the Bacardi or Captain Morgan and happened to spy the Bacardi Gold and ended up leaving with that. I enjoyed the smoothness of it very much.

That purchase set off a chain reaction. I since have tried the Bacardi Select, Bacardi 8, and yesterday I found a local store that had Cruzan Single Barrel Estate Rum. Every rum I've tried has been better than the previous one which leads to my question.

What rums would be recommended next? And where can I find them?

I am not trying to find a rum to replace the others as I can see myself keeping quite a variety around from here on out. It's been a fun adventure.

Thanks, Dan

Try the Cruzan Estate Diamond, less expensive than the Single Barrel, but I think it's better.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

Try the Cruzan Estate Diamond, less expensive than the Single Barrel, but I think it's better.

Thanks, bigbear, I've been a huge Cruzan Estate Diamond for years. But if you haven't tried their Single Barrel Rum lately, you owe it to yourself to give it another try. Cruzan has reblended their Single Barrel to be a heavier spirit than their initial offering under that label.

As for other rums, don't overlook Barbancourt 5 star rum, Flor de Cana 7 year old, Barcelo Gran Anejo and of course Ron Zacapa Centenario, and there are others, depending on where you live.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Thanks for the replys. I will be searching for the rums you both mentioned as none of the stores in my area (Minnesota) have any of them. I'll see if they are willing to special order any of them first before I start searching around.

I did however come across Mount Gay Extra Old locally and will be purchasing that tomorrow.

Ed,

The information on your website is extremely helpfull.

Thanks, Dan

I really like Gosling's Black Seal and Cruzan Blackstrap Navy. Both are dark with a good strong flavor and mix well with Cola or Ginger Beer. The Cruzan has a stronger taste to me than the Gosling's, it's kind of like alcoholic molasses.

I also like New Orleans Amber, but it's available mainly in the south, and I got mine at the distillery on a recent trip to NOLA.

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06