• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chicken wings

jayt90

I need some new ideas for chicken wings.

Any thoughts for grilling? Slow Cooking? Sauces? Oven wings?

How can I cook them so they are lean (no excess fat) yet juicy?

Do you have a great home made sauce to share?

I need help, since my wings are not consistent.

If you like spicy, my MIL makes a Korean braised dish with wings. Potent stuff.

Chicken wings

Onions

garlic

soy sauce

a little sugar

Red pepper flakes

a touch of sesame oil

salted shrimp (optional0

add everything to taste and a little water. I think the cooking time is about 1 hour to 1 1/2.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

"Manchette" of wings. French the wing by choping off the ankle jointand pulling the meat and skin down(to inverted over the shoulder(?) joint, then do whatever. I prefer a roast.

I like to make Chinese style wings. Bake the wings coated with a mixture of soy sauce and oyster sauce. Stir fry briefly in a hot wok or skillet with the Chinese sauce of your choice. I usually use a mixture of soy sauce, brown vinegar, Chinese cooking wine, hot bean paste and a little corn starch. They end up with a nice glaze.

Finish on the serving platter with finely chopped scallions and cilantro.

Bet that you'll find something here which will fill the bill ... poor choice of words ...  maybe beak? :laugh:

the late Frank Perdue would be proud of these... all 476 of them!    :huh:

That's a cool list.

When I don't broil wings in hot sauce, I braise them in my large covered frying pan with dry(ish) madeira and some white wine. (A chicken marsala recipe will do for the braising liquid; just substitute madeira. Omit any mushrooms; use lemon, shallots and garlic. I mix the madeira half and half with white wine; you could use all madeira but it will be quite a thick and rich sauce.) Don't cook them until they fall apart. This recipe can be done with very little fat; just brown the meat well at the outset and drain before you start adding wine.

I actually use wing segments or just drummettes for this because whole wings are hard to cram into the frying pan.

Varmint gave me thisAsian Wing Recipe, when I needed ideas for a New Year's Eve party. I've made them twice since then.

They are spectacular!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.