• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Our Endangered Coastal Fishery

As far as the oysters go, they are fine and are not endangered in any way.

This is the biggest problem that I have with the media in my line of work.

Improper research combined with sensationalist journalism.

Oysters, like mussels and Manila clams are aquacultured and unlike the salmon farming that takes place adds nothing to the enviroment that isn't already there naturally. The oyster seed comes from a commercial hatchery not the wild thereby not placing any strain upon the wild stock.

Some farms in order to reduce even the waste products produced by farming oysters and mussels will place trays underneath the shellfish and grow sea cucumber on them. They feed on the waste products and provide another source of sea cucumber rather than harvesting the wild stock.

Oysters are also are indicator species of water quality and if they aren't edible, then I wouldn't eat anything else out of the ocean.

Did you check any of these facts out before posting this list, Jamie?

Somehow, I don't think you did, Sir.

Oyster Guy

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

Daddy-A,

"Re food chains: when links disappear the chain evolves. That is the very nature of evolution.

Being at the top of the chain, and being rational beings, arguably carries with it a certain responsibility for the other links. Interestingly, no other species gives a f___ about any other. Do the whales care if plankton become extinct? Does Pamela Anderson sleep on her back?"

I am thinking by this you mean that they do care? After all, many species of whales live on plankton or eat the fish that eat it - or are you saying they will eat it no matter what?

Regardless,as a species they are not going to deplete the plankton- we are- by poisoning it.

And eventually, we will take out enough links in the chain that the chain will break.

We can't wantonly destroy our environment and chalk it up to evolution...evolution is about members of an ecosystem thriving (and passing on their genes) because they have something that better enables them to adapt to their environment, not about hundreds of species disappearing because of human stupidity.

I personally don't think salmon farming is ever going to be a solution.

A salmon farm is a monoculture, like a tree farm. It cannot evolve and react to its environment as readilyas wild, interbreeding species.

It competes with local fish. It tastes nasty.

And they have to feed the fish dye to make their flesh the right colour. Yuk.

Have we not learned the lesson that factory farming will lead to disease that will eventually make its way into humans? Mad Cow or Avian Flu anyone? Hanta virus?

Edited by annanstee (log)

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

As far as the oysters go, they are fine and are not endangered in any way.

Did you check any of these facts out before posting this list, Jamie?

Somehow, I don't think you did, Sir.

Oyster Guy

I didn't claim they were endangered Oyster Guy. You may not have noticed this at the top of the list--it refers not to endangerment but to a rather different concern:

* = possible mercury contamination/ pregnant women should not eat, others in moderation

I mentioned the aquaculture of oysters again in Post#3 and that they were not endangered.

And then, just to be sure:

I think oysters are just fine for the time being, ks.--I think the mercury problem is quite exaggerated--it's a warning for pregnant women. If it's true I ate enough of them last week to turn into a thermometer and still managed to find my way home.

Finally, the posted list is very similar if not identical to the standard issue Sierra Club list and the Monterrey Aquarium list that Leonard posted.

Personally, I eat a lot of them (even if moderation requires no more than two dozen per sitting) :biggrin:, am looking at a rather sensual photograph of a woman slurping same right now over the dashboard of my laptop, and even get coerced into judging shucking contests every summer.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

The idea that once a species is declared commercially extinct or endangered, that species is now safe to luxuriate and recover is unfortunately absurd. Seafood poaching is a multibillion dollar business worldwide, and the controls in place are less than 5% effective. Unfortunately, there will always be people who don't care about a species' plight, just about their own satisfaction. And there will always be people ready to take money to satisfy those losers.

When you read the list from top top bottom, you can generalize that it starts expensive, and gets progessively cheaper as you move down the list. Why is Sablefish relatively expensive / commercially rare (at retail) compared to other, less plentiful fish?

"Why is Sablefish relatively expensive / commercially rare (at retail) compared to other, less plentiful fish? "

I certainly think that trends have a part to play in the price factor. Sablefish is hot right now and alas, skate is not.

Skate is a true bargain and a tasty one at that.

In terms of making sound food choices, chefs are in a powerful position to educate the public about matters of endangerment.

s

When you read the list from top top bottom, you can generalize that it starts expensive, and gets progessively cheaper as you move down the list. Why is Sablefish relatively expensive / commercially rare (at retail) compared to other, less plentiful fish?

Most of the sablefish caught is exported to Japan. Alaska has the highest catch of sablefish.

Also, I think sablefish is very rich/oily? It was conveyed to me not too long ago, Americans(dont know if this includes Canadians) prefer non-oily fish(mackarel, a wonderful oily fish, for example, isnt all that popular in America. Lack of demand, so it is cheap. But then again, mackarel is quite plentiful in most of the global waters.

Back to sablefish, even with its relative abundance, it is expensive because the demand comes from Japan. Also, slightly related to the issue of low demand in America, it is my opinion that in America(I plead ignorance about Canada. Information appreciated) fish is consumed as healthy-light-protein-rich food. As a healthful alternative to 'fatty' red meat. Hence it is difficult to sell oily/rich fish to Americans. They would rather have salmon than sablefish. Also, the price factor. Salmon prices are driven down by farming salmon and salmon is way more cheaper(and therefore familiar to the consumer) than the other strangelooking 'exotic' fish. It is funny really. I was speaking to a(British) friend. He said that the same situation seems to be happening in Australia. Awesome catches, but low demand because of consumer culinary ignorance. Salmon is the Golden Arches of the supermarket fish counter. Interestingly, Britain is an island and fish is terribly expensive. Now, that is a puzzle someone should crack!

Most of the sablefish caught is exported to Japan. Alaska has the highest catch of sablefish.

Also, I think sablefish is very rich/oily? It was conveyed to me not too long ago, Americans(dont know if this includes Canadians) prefer non-oily fish(mackarel, a wonderful oily fish, for example, isnt all that popular in America. Lack of demand, so it is cheap. But then again, mackarel is quite plentiful in most of the global waters.

Back to sablefish, even with its relative abundance, it is expensive because the demand comes from Japan. Also, slightly related to the issue of low demand in America, it is my opinion that in America(I plead ignorance about Canada. Information appreciated) fish is consumed as healthy-light-protein-rich food. As a healthful alternative to 'fatty' red meat. Hence it is difficult to sell oily/rich fish to Americans. They would rather have salmon than sablefish. Also, the price factor. Salmon prices are driven down by farming salmon and salmon is way more cheaper(and therefore familiar to the consumer) than the other strangelooking 'exotic' fish. It is funny really. I was speaking to a(British) friend. He said that the same situation seems to be happening in Australia. Awesome catches, but low demand because of consumer culinary ignorance. Salmon is the Golden Arches of the supermarket fish counter. Interestingly, Britain is an island and fish is terribly expensive. Now, that is a puzzle someone should crack!

Thanks for weighing in from across the pond, FB.

Sablefish, which as you identify is the same fish as Alaska black cod, was (chauvinistically) rebranded for the Canadian market a few years ago. That worked--it's also seemingly better managed to wholesale, without the kippering effect of ABC. Sablefish is relatively forgiving and has, like the excellent local albacore, become a very popular restaurant fish, widely replacing Chilean sea bass and ahi. So at least part of its expense has to do with its rapidly rising local popularity. Consumers, once introduced, have found they actually enjoy the relative richness of sablefish, even if they're less likely to prepare it at home.

Consumer attitudes here are slowly changing and gummable salmon fillets are being replaced with more flavousome, on-the-bone remedies, drawing from the 82 species of fish available from the coastal fishery. Pioneering restaurants such as C lead with dishes like lightly smoked sablefish with miso-maple syrup glaze; smoked octopus bacon encircling king scallops; pink salmon (it used to go straight to the canning line) spare-ribs; and simply grilled Vancouver Island sardines.

At Hapa Izakaya, mackeral is flamed tableside with a butane blowtorch, while at Phnom Penh, baby squid tubes are cross-hatched and coated in a gossamer coating of rice flour and quickly deep-fried then served with a lemon-pepper dip as astringent as bleach. Adesso serves whole sea bream in the Ligurian style with an intense, olive-led pomade.

Octopus, which until recently was unseen in Occidental restaurants--now shows up every night in carpaccios, at Latin American restaurants such as Baru or Mediterranean rooms such as Cioppino's, and also in fish stews.

Halibut is in season right now--its cheeks, whether spicily wok-fried or braised, and steaks and fillets are also popular. Salmon does remain the default fish of summer and in many restaurants is still tortured on the grill. But at restaurants such as West, chef David Hawksworth turns out a much more elegant treatment in a poached galatine that draws flavour just between innuendo and inflection. At Bacchus, chef Lee Parsons Dodd slowly oil-poaches wild Spring salmon fillets for 45 minutes until barely done.

Of the many fish used in Japanese restaurants (of which there are 315 in Vancouver), uni is one of the greatest. Last week we enjoyed it two ways: chef Yoshi Tabo's unfettered, barely-there nori-wrapped version atop sushi at Bluewater; then David Hawksworth's sea urchin soup, with cardamom and fennel underwriting the broth and uni, and served in its shell for effect.

Slowly, slowly, the tide doth turn, much aided by the extraordinary range of Asian restaurants here, and abetted by young Canadian chefs now reaching deeper into our coastal larder.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Interestingly, Britain is an island and fish is terribly expensive. Now, that is a puzzle someone should crack!

As Aneurin Bevan once said about Britain, "This island is made mainly of coal and surrounded by fish. Only an organising genius could produce a shortage of coal and fish at the same time."

Great POST!

But all I read comes from the environmentalist, the oceans are big and deep. Is this factual or just the 'flavour of the week'?

We ran out of oil in the 70's....

Cell phones cause brain tumors....

Morrison is alive and living in Paris…

Pets explode in the microwave…

The vanishing hitchhiker...

I am not saying it is not an issue...I just need more information, and specifically, information from non-fanatics or profiteers.

To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art La Rochefoucauld

Great POST!

But all I read comes from the environmentalist, the oceans are big and deep. Is this factual or just the 'flavour of the week'?

I am not saying it is not an issue...I just need more information, and specifically, information from non-fanatics or profiteers.

Actually, we ran out of oil last week. :smile: And Jim Morrison doesn't live in Paris anymore, he's lives inside my dashboard. :unsure: About the vanishing hitch-hiker thing, well you're on your own there.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Great POST!

i understand your point but in the case of realistic threat to our planet such as the example of the oil don't you find it better to take the side of caution? things like cell phones we accept the consequences of. people tell me they won't live in paranoia without good cause or reason. i think the risk of extinction is a very good casue and reason.

bork bork bork

We need the same proviso that applies to almost every thread here. The motto should be changed from; "Eat, Chew, Discuss" to "The truth lies somewhere in the Middle."

Some David Suzuki worshipping tree sitting hippy says *NEVER* eat farmed salmon/whatever, the government scientist/industry insider says *ALWAYS* eat farmed salmon/whatever. Truthfully, the real deal is somewhere between the extremsist's positions,as it is for almost everything in life.

And I still haven't seen a plausible explanation for the Sablefish diachotomy. Plenty of waaaaayyy funkier fish are for sale, particularly to the asian community. Yet sablefish at retail is quite rare. There's probably a story there should some enterprisisng person care to uncover the truth.

And smoked Alaskan Black Cod poached in milk, mashed potatoes on the side was a staple of my childhood, sadly I need to sell a few pints of blood to afford it today, and generally my BAC is too high to make my blood commercially viable.

And I still haven't seen a plausible explanation for the Sablefish diachotomy. Plenty of waaaaayyy funkier fish are for sale, particularly to the asian community. Yet sablefish at retail is quite rare. There's probably a story there should some enterprisisng person care to uncover the truth.

Sablefish along with Pacific Halibut is managed by a fishery management tool called IFQ(Individual Fishing Quota). I think I wrote something about the original Japanese idea for their fisheries that was later adopted by Maine fishermen to manage their lobsters. I dont remember where it resides on egullet. I will try to dig it up.

IFQ hands out quotas to individuals and the whole idea is to protect fish stock. These quotas are transferable, the total catch is divided among the quota holders. There is increasing demand for sablefish, especially from Japan. Almost 90% of sablefish caught in Alaska/B.C goes to Japan. The supply has a ceiling thanks to the IFQ program. And this was implemented around 1996ish(altho' trials began as early as 1993). This probably explains why sablefish used to be abundant when you were younger and is rarer now. After exports, restaurant supplies, very little sablefish probably reaches the retail market. While it is quite abundant, IFQs allows time for the overfished stocks to recover.

Does this help?

Really enjoying this thread, and it got me to thinking ...

Wouldn't this make a great eGullet gathering? I for one would like to hear more about Ocean Wise and what restaurants like C are doing to participate. And if it means a good meal and a couple bottles of BC grape, so be it!

Jamie and I are willing to organize. Leonard, would you and Harry be willing to host?

If anyone is interested in something like this, please PM me (not in forum please) and we'll see what we can set up.

A.

Great POST!

i understand your point but in the case of realistic threat to our planet such as the example of the oil don't you find it better to take the side of caution? things like cell phones we accept the consequences of. people tell me they won't live in paranoia without good cause or reason. i think the risk of extinction is a very good casue and reason.

...a world without 'point and counterpoint' wouldn't it be nice to live in such ignorant bliss.

This thread scares me with its borderline fundamentalist views. It is easy to latch onto 'things that feel good' and protect the underdog. All I am looking for is the flip side. Can you guarantee that someone/some group is not profiteering from this hype about our fisheries?

To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art La Rochefoucauld

I'm a little late on this discussion but.......maybe people here would like to support the Pacific Stream Keepers - I took one of the most informative weekend workshops using this groups text here in Tofino - all about what you can do in your own backyard to help fish - You can find them at www.pskf.ca - it's all about building relationships with what you eat folks.

Great POST!

...a world without 'point and counterpoint' wouldn't it be nice to live in such ignorant bliss.

This thread scares me with its borderline fundamentalist views. It is easy to latch onto 'things that feel good' and protect the underdog. All I am looking for is the flip side. Can you guarantee that someone/some group is not profiteering from this hype about our fisheries?

Of course someone will profit from an attack on farmed salmon. The fishermen who fish wildstocks will. The output from salmon farms has drastically reduced the world market price for salmon and made it very difficult for fisherman to make a go of their small enterprises (Forcing Alaskan Fisherman to launch a marketing campaign that distinguishes "Wild" salmon from the farmed stuff produced to the south). Having the salmon farms shutdown would probably return the price of salmon to a level that makes salmon fishing a profitable way to make a living.

Beyond 'fundamentalist' environmentalist views from the birkenstock brigade, this is an issue of who you wish to see benefit from this collective resource. Under Canadian law we all own the oceans. Do you wish to see large international food conglomerates dirtying our waters (and there is empirical evidence showing that salmon farms are damaging to the ecological systems that surround them, its not just propaganda) and making a profit, or (in a perfect world) we could manage our streams and rivers(which means forests too) in such manner that wild fish stocks continue to be abundant into the future, and our local fishermen can make a living out on the waters. The second, and unfortunately less probable scenario seems to benefit the greatest number of people and to me makes the most sense.

Great POST!

true. i wonder, if we do hear the flipside who would we believe?

bork bork bork

I am also enjoying this thread especially the posts from Sam, Faustian, and Oyster Guy as they are educational more than emotional. I don't lean to either side, am in the middle.

I think it is more "fundamentalist" to steadfastly ignore the evidence in front our faces-through both personal experience, and the testimony of responsible scientists-because it is inconvenient to do so.

Don't you mean "convenient to do so"? Am I not reading this right?

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

I am also enjoying this thread especially the posts from Sam, Faustian, and Oyster Guy as they are educational more than emotional. I don't lean to either side, am in the middle.

I think it is more "fundamentalist" to steadfastly ignore the evidence in front our faces-through both personal experience, and the testimony of responsible scientists-because it is inconvenient to do so.

Don't you mean "convenient to do so"? Am I not reading this right?

Hi Butter:

I was quoting Cubularis, who said that it was fundamentalist to conclude that there is a real environmental threat. I agree that it is more convenient to conclude the opposite. I associate fundamentalism with a reactionary attitude, ie opposed to change and refusing to recognize parameter shifts in culture, society, ethics etc.

Sorry for the confusion :blink:

Ann

(edited for typos :rolleyes: )

Edited by annanstee (log)

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Interesting thread.

I recently had a meeting about Ocean Wise and from where I was at, we really did not need to do anything to comply. I do need to find out a bit more about prawns but that is it. I must say, I do have a friend who gives me shit when I even think about swordfish or Seabass, so that helps.

Interesting finding out who owns the fish farms and where they are from.

Here is a question. It was in a thread quite some time ago but I do not recall the response.

Who is serving farmed salmon ? I mean in town here. Most chefs in town are using wild salmon, either fresh or "refreshed" - the new word for frozen !

Why ?

With the availability of farmed and the cheaper price, why are the local Chefs still using wild ?

I have to go, but I look forward to seeing why ! And who is using farmed !

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com