• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anyone heard of Caffe Artigiano

vin

Hi all,

Our coffee company is training a local Montreal company to open up Montreal's finest coffee house. We at Caffe Artigiano in Vancouver will be training them and supplying coffee for the cafe.

What do you think? Is there a great need for a great coffee house in Montreal?

What is needed in your market that you don't have?

The name of the coffee house hasn't been decided yet but I'll post some info. once the opening gets nearer.

would love to hear your comments.

Thanks,

Vin

www.caffeartigiano.com

Yes, I was just in Vanouver and wishing we had something like Cafe Artigiano here in Montreal. We can always use a new coffee house here especially one wth quality food! The food choices at Second Cup, Starbucks, etc are pathetic. I ususally find myself stopping off at a bakery and picking something up before grabbing a cappuccino.

I know this is me completely dreaming, but I would love a coffee shop that gives a nice square of dark chocolate with my beverage, has small scones with no crusty icing, even good slices of toast with a variety of jams and honey as an option. Also, some good desserts to enjoy after dinner. The downtown dessert place scene has definitely declined so a new place to stop in for a good piece of chocolate cake with a scoop of hazelnut gelato would be nice. But then again, this is just me dreaming.

Have you heard of the Le Pain Quotidien in Europe and the US? It is not a coffee shop but the simple breakfast that is offered is wonderful and something that cannot be found in Montreal.

What locations are you considering?

Hi Larry,

I believe the area of the cafe is known as the Plateau, on avenue Mount Royal.

Should be open in the Summer.

If you have anymore comments or recommendations please feel free.

Vin

For all you Montrealers out there, if you are lucky enough to get a caffe Artigiano there, you will be truly blessed with the best coffee shop in the country. I live in Vancouver and frequent CA alot. There have the absolute BEST coffee and esspresso anywhere. Second cup and starbucks do not hold a candle to CA. (like comparing a KIA to a Mercedes). They also have a fantastic selection of incredible sandwiches on the most delicious bread. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. By the way, is that you Vince??

Derek

Not to be a wet blanket, but you folks do know that there are already plenty of places in Montreal with much, much better coffee than Starbucks et al., right? An establishment that marries excellent coffee with good food should do well, but this isn't exactly a quality-starved land paved with Tim Horton's and McDonald's. (Nor is there any reason for anyone discerning ever, ever to set foot in Second Cup or Starbucks.)

So I wish this venture well, but it's not a slam-dunk, IMO, especially not in the Plateau, which is already very thick with cafés.

Hi Winegeek,

It is me Vince from Caffe Artigiano.

Really looking frorward to changing the Montreal coffee scene.

Mr. Fagioli, It's always very motivational for me to extend our product and services. I've been told since day one that we'd never make it. We'll see.

Vin

Please don't get me wrong: you do have my best wishes, and by no means am I predicting you'll fail, but some of the previous posts seemed to be suggesting you were about to enter an easy market for this kind of business. I'm sure you've done your homework and know that there's plenty of competition already waiting for you!

So I wish this venture well, but it's not a slam-dunk, IMO, especially not in the Plateau, which is already very thick with cafés.

True. But there really aren't many (any?) Plateau places that pull a world-class espresso. There are, however, a lot of people in the area who are able to appreciate one. If vin builds it, they will come.

I agree with Larry. The food at most coffee bars is weak and the exceptions, like Olive & Gourmando, are few and far between. So, yeah, I'd like a place that got that right: really good pastries, excellent sandwiches and some innovations. Like seasonal products that feature local produce. Quality aside, one of the depressing things about Montreal's coffee bars is the rut they're stuck in. The menu never changes and is basically the same wherever you go. And as Larry mentions and others have bemoaned elsewhere on this forum, there are very few places to go for a decent dessert.

It is me Vince from Caffe Artigiano.

Really looking frorward to changing the Montreal coffee scene.

Mr. Fagioli, It's always very motivational for me to extend our product and services. I've been told since day one that we'd never make it. We'll  see.

Vin

Vince, my only question is will you be sharing Thomas Haas's creations with the Montreal Artigiano, or will you be keeping them for us here in Vancouver? Surely with a machiatto from you and a cookie from Hass you'd be golden no matter where you openned!

Good luck in Montreal!

A.

This is truly most wonderful news. There is nothing in Montreal to compare with Caffe Artigiano. Nobody takes there care and nobody seems to take much interest in producing quality espresso. We are talking about a different league.

There is not a single Starbucks, Second Cup, Brulerie St. Denis. Cafe Depot, etc. that I have I have been to in Montreal where an espresso can be ordered with the confidence that it will be even minimally properly made. Only the odd Italian spot. Worse, few local "barristas" seem to know what it means to make a proper espresso. When I return a cup made for me with the request that it be remade because, for example, there is no crema, I am met with blank stares. And I try. For all the fancy La Marzoccos available to these barristas, they do not seem to have a clue what to do. You guys at Artigiano have paid attention, and are part of that small group who strive for excellence.

And this is independent of the coffee! The roasters at Intelligentsia are certainly also part of a small group who are preoccupied with quality, and are producing the best coffees available in North America. I assume, Vince, that you are bringing Intelligentsia to Montreal as well. My concern is freshness, and that you have already compromised this somewhat even in Vancouver, where no roasting dates appear on the packaging done for you by Intelligentsia. Welcome!

Well, I am very excited and I wish you all the luck. As Carswell mentioned, if you build it, they will come. Montrealers, well at least the ones that I know, are always willing to try out new places. If you are planning to be on Mont Royal I would recommend offering some good breakfast options. Including things with eggs like I've had some at the Vancouver location. The two major breakfast places on Mont Royal, L'Avenue and Beauty's are always packed on the weekends and getting the overflow, (at first) would be good. In addition, seasonal and city focus would be good. Quebec cheeses, chocolates, meats, etc. We have some wonderful cheese and bread makers right here!

No stale paninis, please!!!!!! That seems to be the only food option in coffee places when I am meeting a friend but still want a bit to eat. Even just some regular sandwiches and nice salads. Is it just me or does it seem that we have gone overboard with the grilled sandwiches?

Wow, this sounds so demanding, but I'm just telling you so that you get a twentysomething's opinion in addition to the type of stuff that as a customer would make me go once and keep returning.

:biggrin:

True. But there really aren't many (any?) Plateau places that pull a world-class espresso. There are, however, a lot of people in the area who are able to appreciate one. If vin builds it, they will come.

I agree with Larry. The food at most coffee bars is weak and the exceptions, like Olive & Gourmando, are few and far between. So, yeah, I'd like a place that got that right: really good pastries, excellent sandwiches and some innovations. Like seasonal products that feature local produce. Quality aside, one of the depressing things about Montreal's coffee bars is the rut they're stuck in. The menu never changes and is basically the same wherever you go. And as Larry mentions and others have bemoaned elsewhere on this forum, there are very few places to go for a decent dessert.

At the risk of beating a dead horse...my misunderstanding simply came from the comparisons to Starbucks, Second Cup, et al. When it's claimed that a place is way better than that, I don't start thinking "world class"; I start thinking "Eurodeli" which, while not top-shelf by any means, is still leagues better than any chain establishment I've ever been to (whether we're talking food or coffee).

So, in light of all the additional info that's been posted since, it seems we're talking about something that's not only better than the chains (which is really no great accomplishment) but something that promises to be better than any existing independent that's on anyone's radar. And that is something worth celebrating, I agree.

Sorry to inform you in Montreal that our deal with the Montreal company has not come to fruition and we regret that we will not be part of the opening to this cafe in Montreal.

We will look into future expansion in the near future.

Sorry to get all your hopes up in Montreal at this time.

Vin :unsure: