• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Coastal Gardening Topic

My herb garden took some fairly severe snow and frost damage this year--even hardy rosemary varieties like Tuscan Blue and Golden Rain have had to be pruned back quite aggressively. Only the bay and mint is really flourishing.

But out of adversity comes opportunity. Do any of you have leads on reasonably priced herb nurseries that might carry something out of the ordinary? I'm especially interested in marjoram (for sausage making), hyssop, lovage and interesting varieties of sage. Maybe even some burdock root.

Please let me know,

Jamie

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Jamie

We do a restaurant herb garden every year and this year will be no exception. I know Travis is looking forward to it. We have had luck with the quality and unique products at Prickly Pear in Steveston. Rather than making the trip out you could call and ask for Patty, one of the owners and buyers. I also know that they deliver.

Happy growing

Carol at Adesso

Ah, the annual search for reasonably-priced herbs... Thanks for the tip on the Prickly Pear Carol!

The old "flea market" site on the corner of Kingsway and ?? is a place where in the past we have found a good selection of inexpensive herbs, in the range of 99 cents each (or maybe 2 for $3? Whatever it is, it's cheap). However I don't know if they will return this year. If you don't know the site, look for the empty Safeway style building on the south side of Kingsway, if they're there, they'll set up a large white tent at the side.

Home Depot also offers a limited selection, sage and marjoram are probables, but lovage and hyssop are probably nots. But they are not too bad in pricing.

The guy at Granville Island has a good selection, but pricing starts high and of course will escalate as you get into more mature seedlings. Right beside the Stock Market and the pie place.

My wife has found some from local farms in Surrey too, I'll ask her if she can remember the specifics.

Good luck Jamie, and in turn if you find anything good please post!

Jamie

We do a restaurant herb garden every year and this year will be no exception. I know Travis is looking forward to it. We have had luck with the quality and unique products at Prickly Pear in Steveston. Rather than making the trip out you could call and ask for Patty, one of the owners and buyers. I also know that they deliver.

Happy growing

Carol at Adesso

Thank you Carol and BCin BC. I'll follow up. I'm also driving out to the Fraser Valley tomorrow to investigate a few farms. And also to lunch with Daryl Nagata, recently appointed executive chef at the Harrison Hot Springs Resort. When Daryl was EC at the Fairmont Waterfront he was well known for his roof-top herb garden where he grew more than 50 varieties. I'll let you know his input as well. I sure miss my greenhouse though.

I'd kind of like to start a wasabi ranch as well.

Thanks again,

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Jamie,

Please let us know if you find any lovage. I would love to get my hands on some, and haven't seen it around.

Ann

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Jamie,

Please let us know if you find any lovage. I would love to get my hands on some, and haven't seen it around.

Ann

Capers has a nice selection of garden herb seeds,

as well as Drive Organics on Commercial drive.

The belly rules the mind.

Jamie,

Ann

annanstee and others,

Chef Metcalfe has kindly shared the Ontario-based Richters website which has an extraordinary range of herbs, both living and dried.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Jamie, if you're heading out to the Fraser Valley this weekend you might want to check out:

DEVAN GREENHOUSES

28904 Fraser Highway, Abbotsford, BC V4X1G8

(604) 857-4944

We were there a couple weeks ago but unfortunately I didn't look at the herbs as I'm not planting ours for a month or so. However, their prices are fantastic, the product is excellent and they usually have a wide selection. They carry very few hardgoods and really focus on plants. Many of them are grown on site in their greenhouses. My husband and his family have worked many years in nurseries and this is their favourite.

It wouldn't hurt to call ahead to check if they have exactly what you need.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

There are some great markets on Marine drive (not marine way which is the more main street) just between Royal Oak and Byrne road, near Mandeville gardens. My favorite is Hop On (probably because of the name) They have a fabulous selection of herbs, and really reasonably priced. They are also the best place to get Arugula-a giant HEAD for $0.99.

Enjoy!

There are some great markets on Marine drive (not marine way which is the more main street) just between Royal Oak and Byrne road, near Mandeville gardens.  My favorite is Hop On (probably because of the name)  They have a fabulous selection of herbs, and really reasonably priced.  They are also the best place to get Arugula-a giant HEAD for $0.99.

Enjoy!

Thanks sasskitty and CanadianBakin'. :smile:

Jamie

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Hi ann,

Saw lovage(one of my faves too!) in Granville island a few days ago. I thunk the vendor, he moves around a bit, is from Easyacres herb farm, or something like that. Also seen it at the garden shop next to I.G.A (Broadway & Arbutus)If you want to scrump some it grows along sixth avenue, amongst the veg. plots, just keep it secret & dont get caught! (If the herb gestapo catch you i will feign transferred embarassment & try not to heave)

The guy at Granville Island has a good selection, but pricing starts high and of course will escalate as you get into more mature seedlings. Right beside the Stock Market and the pie place.

Good luck Jamie, and in turn if you find anything good please post!

The herb guy at Granville Island moves around the market, so he won't always be in that location. I buy my herbs from him because I am perpetually tempted. I have marjoram, rosemary (7), sage, oregano, thyme (4), bay (2), and mint. last year I tried tarragon and cilantro, but they don't like my shady patio. And sorrel was out of control - I couldn't use it up fast enough.

< Linda >

Hi,

First post here.

If you are over on the Island any time this spring, you should really check out hazelwoodherbfarms.com. It's a beautiful place.

They are in Cedar, south of Nanaimo, and have a wonderful selection of unusual herbs (definitely lovage and burdock and every kind of sage and basil imaginable). You can see a partial listing of their plants at the website. Unfortunately, they don't ship.

If you go, combine it with the Crow and Gate pub (also in Cedar) for a charming lunch (a little stodgy, but it's nice to go to a pub that resolutely does NOT have fries, Caesar salad, or pizza on the menu. Think steak and kidney pie, oysters and Guinness and very good bread pudding).

Hope that helps

First post here.

If you are over on the Island any time this spring, you should really check out hazelwoodherbfarms.com. It's a beautiful place.

They are in Cedar, south of Nanaimo, and have a wonderful selection of unusual herbs (definitely lovage and burdock and every kind of sage and basil imaginable). You can see a partial listing of their plants at the website. Unfortunately, they don't ship.

If you go, combine it with the Crow and Gate pub (also in Cedar) for a charming lunch (a little stodgy, but it's nice to go to a pub that resolutely does NOT have fries, Caesar salad, or pizza on the menu. Think steak and kidney pie, oysters and Guinness and very good bread pudding).

Thanks Brenda ... and welcome to eGullet. Isn't Cedar where The Bungey Zone is located? Herbs, kidney pie, stout and a bungey. That's my kind of gastro tourism!

A.

Easy Acres farm is at 60th and 120th.

We're landscaping this year and will be stocking up on rosemary, lavendar and sage at easy acres.

We're also adding to the large boat shaped mint garden which James refers to as the SS Mojito. Priorities, you know.

Check out www.vistadoro.com in Langley. Very nice couple and serious foodies. Some members may know this place as they also offer cooking classes by local chefs. Not sure of their herb prices though, but I'm sure you can get some rare finds.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

Yet another reason to go - they have Merridale cider on tap!

If anyone's coming up (or lurking around) the Smithers area - Narnia Famrs has a wonderful selection of fresh herbs (seeds can be a bit iffy up here unless you have a greenhouse) - and hot peppers. They have an outlet in Victoria now, but I don't think they'll be shipping plants down any time soon ...

"If you are over on the Island any time this spring, you should really check out hazelwoodherbfarms.com. It's a beautiful place.

They are in Cedar, south of Nanaimo, and have a wonderful selection of unusual herbs (definitely lovage and burdock and every kind of sage and basil imaginable). You can see a partial listing of their plants at the website. "

THANK YOU, GOD, ANOTHER VOICE FROM THE ISLAND!!!!!!

Great to have another place to visit on the island for herbs, thanks for the tip. I would love to try growing some burdock and lots more sage - fried sage leaves rock my world.

Poking around the yard this afternoon, I've found healthy amounts of lovage again and the chives are ready and waiting. Anything large enough is going directly into the salad bowl.

I feel like some sort of blood sucking vampire at this time of year - I can't get enough of young green herbs. Must have them.

Ha! I bring you yet another!

We just arrived in Victoria after a brief but wonderful stay at the Aerie Resort.

Damn this town, though! It's Sunday and look who is closed:

Zambri's :wub:

Brasserie L'ecole :wub:

Temple :wub:

:sad:

Nevermind that...I'm currently chowing down on a Beacon Hill Drive-In cheeseburger with onion rings so I'm quite happy. :biggrin:

I'll post more on the trip later but so far so excellent.

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

"I'm currently chowing down on a Beacon Hill Drive-In cheeseburger with onion rings so I'm quite happy".

What did you pair with it? I hear the 2005 Coke provides a delicate balance to the grease? And I hope you finished with the soft cone. Billions served and a local ritual.

And now, back to the herb garden.

And now, back to the herb garden.

Speaking of Victoria and herbs (I had a sundae btw :wub: ), my mother likes to get hers at the Moss Street Market on Saturday's (at Sir James Douglas School) and much of the herbs in her own garden come from Dig This in Market Square (lower Johnson St) across from Il Terrazzo.

Shelora, do you know (my mom is asking) if the Moss St. Market has started yet? She thinks it was around Easter but hasn't been yet.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

For the sake of the eGullet Vancouver chapter, N and I did a tour of Richmond yesterday in search of herb bargains. Here is a list of stops and impressions. Remember that it is still early in the season, so many of the varieties have yet to make an appearance.

Prickly Pear No 1 Rd just south of Steveston

Selection was limited so far, but they get shipments in every Thursday, and when the season really gets going (in a month or so?) they will increase to every Tuesday and Thursday. Nothing too "unusual" in stock (I consider rosemary, thyme, sage, oregano, basil and lavender "the usuals", by the way). Large herbs $3.59, small $1.59. We picked up some small chives, but it's going to take some indoor care before we venture outside with them. Nice little place, but the smell of low tide limited our stay. Check the tide tables before you go!

Green Tree?? on Steveston @ No 2 (forgot to note the actual name and address, sorry!)

Looked like they were getting rid of their stock from last year, as everything was on sale at 20% off. Selection limited, most of it was woody rosemary and thyme, however we did manage to pick up really nice 4"+ curry and thyme plants for $3.50 total. I hope to check in again in a few weeks, as they seem to have a good operation here. Great orange, lemon and even grapefruit trees!

Tim Chiang's Garder Center 8451 No 5 Rd just south of Blundell

Another nice operation, lots of space. The herbs are quite hearty already (except the basil which was slightly yellow; will check back later), and there is good variety. Quite a few mints, plus parsleys, chives, and the usuals, all $1.49. Also a lot of veg's - the smell of onions is prominent - for $1.09. We picked up an Italian parsley and a really great starter crop of watercress (considered a $1.09 veg here). I thought this was the best of the places we visited. *Major husband / boyfriend brownie points alert* - a dozen red roses, in beautiful shape, were available for $8.99.

Art Knapp beside Fantasy Garden

Didn't see Bill or Lillian around, but did find a decent herb selection. The only problem is that they're spread out all over the place so you have to hunt them down. Prices are higher, ($2.99 large, $1.89?? small), but they carry, amongst others, two types of tarragon - French and Spanish! We were unsuccessful at finding any tarragon last year, so needless to say, we picked some up along with a new 4" rosemary.

Home Depot on Sweden Way north of Bridgeport

Very very limited right now; IIRC some thyme, chives, and catnip? One cool thing they have is rosemary bushes, literally like a small shrub, for $28 or so. Also, they have some great tomatoes and !peppers! for $0.97 each. We bought jalapenos and seranos, the only two varieties we've successfully grown (and borne produce from) on our patio.

Sorry Jamie, I did see marjoram somewhere but forgot which place! Most likely Tim Chiang or Art Knapp, perhaps you can call ahead. No lovage or hyssop sighted. More reports as they become available. Happy herbing all!

Thanks for all of these terrific leads on early herbs, and in the case of the Art Knapp Centre, fan-tas-tic ones. This list is quickly growing into a very useful guide. I'm going to check out a few Vancouver outlets this week and will report back.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

".... do you know (my mom is asking) if the Moss St. Market has started yet? She thinks it was around Easter but hasn't been yet. "

Soon my pet, soon. Perhaps yet another island voice would like to pipe in here. :wink:

By the way, Andrew, what is your mom looking for? We always need to downsize and our prices are reasonable. (i.e., free).

s