• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need help--patio for a group

squids

My office was planning to go to Morton's on Connecticut Ave for drinks and to celebrate 3 birthdays and a work anniversary on Tuesday. I just found out that the patio's been closed for renovations, and it may or may not be open again by Tuesday. I'm blanking out on places in the neighborhood. Can anyone think of a courtyard or patio that's nearby? Office is near Staples, and no one likes to walk too far. (I know, I know, I'm asking for a lot, but you never know what little gem one may have forgotten about...)

With the weather we are having who knows what will be open...in the Dupont area the Tabard Inn has a courtyard, and if it's crappy out, has a nice library/lounge area for drinks and apps. Firefly also has a nice little lounge area that you should be able to take over on a Tuesday night. Although the food is mediocre to ok, Panache could easily hold a nice size goup in doors and also Heritage India Dupont (half price martini cocktails, half price Indian tapas for happy hour, a real good deal!) has a lot of space, but then you are limiting yourself to Indian food. With all best to call ahead and see what they can do for you.

Edited by Tweaked (log)

That neighborhood has a real dearth of patio dining. Smith and Wollensky on 19th has some outdoor tables, or if you're not bothered by cheap resin chairs and office interns there's always Mackey's. Neither is anywhere close to the schmaltz factor of Morton's, unfortunately. Does Equinox have outdoor tables? It might be worth calling them and asking. Marcel's also offers outdoor dining in nicer weather, IIRC.

My office was planning to go to Morton's on Connecticut Ave for drinks and to celebrate 3 birthdays and a work anniversary on Tuesday. I just found out that the patio's been closed for renovations, and it may or may not be open again by Tuesday. I'm blanking out on places in the neighborhood. Can anyone think of a courtyard or patio that's nearby? Office is near Staples, and no one likes to walk too far. (I know, I know, I'm asking for a lot, but you never know what little gem one may have forgotten about...)

Not to be self promotionary but Circle Bistro has a veranda off of our lounge and five dollar maritnis on tuesdays

If he is thin, I will probably dine poorly. If he is both thin and sad, the only hope is in flight.”

Fernand Point

Cirrcle Bistro, Potato Peeler

Thanks for all the ideas...S&W is closest, but my boss wants the kitchen sink...close by, and not alot of traffic noise to distract. I'll propose these to her tomorrow to see what she thinks. Tabard Inn would be great if it were just a bit closer. Your assistance spurred me to go to opentable to view the restaurants to see exact locations, and I will also look into David Greggory. I myself thought of Firefly, but knowing her, she'll think it's a bit too far a walk for some in my office...! I'll keep my fingers crossed for good weather, though. :wacko:

Thanks chefbrendis---I didn't see your post until I had already posted mine...I actually thought of Circle Bistro but when I checked on opentable, it did not mention "patio dining." Since I've not had an opportunity to go to Circle Bistro yet, I didn't know about the veranda. I will definitely call tomorrow to check it out! We'll be a party of 13 looking to arrive around 4:30ish.

Edited by squids (log)

I thought your boss might be out of his/her mind.  Then I checked the forecast.

Ten Day Forecast

Well, at least the weather is supposed to be nice...But, it is a women's perogative to change her mind, and she has...Darn, I was looking forward to drinks outdoors tomorrow :sad: At least I have some good ideas for the next time!