• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Chef!"

Shaun--did you ever have time to watch this television show and, if so, were there any moments of the show that you especially appreciated?

I recall one involving the cheese police and Gareth's pursuit of some illegal cheeses...and another involving Chef Roux dining at the restaurant and Gareth's fear of having to select dishes for the chef.

Even if you haven't seen the show, perhaps you could share with us your feelings toward cheese, those produced within England--and what effect you feel the EU has had on the production and distribution of quality cheeses across borders?

Also, have you ever had similar trepidation about cooking for another chef or mentor?

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

I have to say I was nervous cooking for Michel Roux here. But once the service starts there is no time for anything as self indulgent as that.

I did see "Chef" once or twice and enjoyed it. It was not like real life though. I would never have had time during the service for the long winded and withering scorn that Lenny Henry poured on the waiters and crew. Shorter and more robust comments only. In truth Faulty Towers was much closer to the reality.

As far as cheese is concerned I am a big fan of almost all cheese -it's the perfect fast food. English Cheeses have made great strides but the finest are still hard cheeses like Cheddar or Lncashire. I haven't had a piece of Stilton I thought was great for some years though and wonder if the Listeria crisis some years back did't affect production methods adversely