• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tapioca

Suvir Saran

Tapioca starch is a principle  component of prawn crackers (shrimp chips) and similar puffed snack foods http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=63405

I know this thread is somewhat old, but I'm hoping some are still lurking around the cassava plant :)

That said, my sister gave me a 1 lb bag of Tapioca flour, and outside of prawn chips and as a thickening agent, does anyone have any other suggestions for use?

Also, Sandra, I do have a recipe for 'tried and true' tapioca pudding using large pearls. Also some for medium and small pearls. However, I'm not sure what the rules are as far as posting recipes in threads. Did you search the RecipeGullet?

Flickr Shtuff -- I can't take a decent photo to save my life, but it all still tastes good.

My new Blog: Parsley, Sage, Desserts and Line Drives

"I feel the end approaching. Quick, bring me my dessert, coffee and liqueur."

Anthelme Brillat-Savarin's great aunt Pierette (1755-1826)

~Lisa~

Anyone can post in RecipeGullet...just click away - we'd love to see the recipe.

Cool..thanks, Rob :)

Now, this is just a basic, old fashioned tapioca pudding that I pilfered from my late grandma's recipe box. I usually go off the beaten path a little, and add whatever I'm 'feeling' at the time, or use it as a part to something else..but here it is in it's original glory.

Ingredients

1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons large pearl tapioca

5 cups milk

a healthy pinch of salt

2 large eggs, separated

1 cup granulated sugar

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions

1)Pour the milk into a bowl and set the bowl over a large pot of simmering water. Let it come to a boil..then add the salt and tapioca pearls. Let this mixture simmer for about an hour, or until the tapioca is clear and the milk has thickened.

2)Beat egg whites with 1/2 cup sugar until you get firm peaks, set aside. Beat the yolks with the remaining half cup of sugar, until the sugar dissolves, then temper the yolks and sugar with some of the hot tapioca milk, and stir it all back into the bowl of hot tapioca milk. Continue to cook over the simmering water for about 15 minutes, stirring constantly, until thick. Stir in vanilla, then take the bowl off the simmering pot of water, and gently fold in the beaten egg whites.

3)Pour pudding into whatever serving bowl or bowls you're using, cover with plastic wrap, pressing the wrap to the surface of the pudding(s) to avoid a skin from forming.. and chill in the fridge for several hours to overnight.

Voila, old fashioned large pearl tapioca pudding. I like to add bittersweet chocolate and candied orange peel and just 'swirl' it in to the hot custard, prior to chilling, so it not only takes it up a notch, but looks funky..like eyeballs floating in a kaleidescope.

Flickr Shtuff -- I can't take a decent photo to save my life, but it all still tastes good.

~Lisa~

I did a tapioca pudding a while back by caramelizing the sugar first then proceeding as usual. I didn't share it with anybody to get feedback, I was just in the mood for tapioca pudding one night, so I guess it doesn't qualify as tried and true but I was happy with the results.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Thank you Lisa!

You're very welcome, Sandra, although I made a boo boo. Rob said I could post a recipe..in the RecipeGullet, not the thread, although I only read the first line before posting away. Oopsies!

That said, let me know how it turns out. I'd also like to see/try Tri2cook's caramelized version. I'm a caramel freak. :)

Edited by Lisa2k (log)

~Lisa~

Ummm... well... now for the confession. There is no grand recipe to share. I was messing around in the kitchen and for some reason just out of nowhere decided I was in the mood for tapioca pudding. All I had on hand was the quick stuff and I basically just followed the recipe on the box but I caramelized the sugar to a nice color first, used more salt than called for and added a little butter at the end with the vanilla (which I also added more of than the recipe called for). I haven't tried it with the nice big tapioca yet but I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work. I ate it with banana slices and some cumin caramel sauce left from another project.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Ummm... well... now for the confession. There is no grand recipe to share. I was messing around in the kitchen and for some reason just out of nowhere decided I was in the mood for tapioca pudding. All I had on hand was the quick stuff and I basically just followed the recipe on the box but I caramelized the sugar to a nice color first, used more salt than called for and added a little butter at the end with the vanilla (which I also added more of than the recipe called for). I haven't tried it with the nice big tapioca yet but I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work. I ate it with banana slices and some cumin caramel sauce left from another project.

At the risk of sounding like a mo mo.. did you add the caramelized sugar to the milk and tapioca. or did you add the milk to the caramelized sugar as if you were making a caramel sauce ot candy?? It really does sound terrific.

~Lisa~

I caramelized the sugar (if I remember correctly, I used a 1/2c. sugar instead of the 1/3c. on the box) then slowly whisked in the milk (again I added more than on the box, 3c. instead of 2 3/4c. I think, to compensate for evaporation) and cooked it just long enough to melt all of the sugar. I cooled it down quickly in an ice bath then proceeded as the recipe directed with the addition of a little salt and some butter at the end. It was very un-scientific and random and I didn't make any notes about it but I'm pretty sure that's what I did.

• 2 weeks later...
I caramelized the sugar (if I remember correctly, I used a 1/2c. sugar instead of the 1/3c. on the box) then slowly whisked in the milk (again I added more than on the box, 3c. instead of 2 3/4c. I think, to compensate for evaporation) and cooked it just long enough to melt all of the sugar. I cooled it down quickly in an ice bath then proceeded as the recipe directed with the addition of a little salt and some butter at the end. It was very un-scientific and random and I didn't make any notes about it but I'm pretty sure that's what I did.

Wow..I forgot to subscribe to this thread, hence why I haven't replied with a thank you for your caramelized tapioca pudding recipe..SO, thank you! Your method is similiar to making sweetened condensed milk, with less sugar, and caramelizing it into sort of a dulce de leche. I can't wait to try it!

~Lisa~

• 8 months later...

how thick should a tapioca be after it's chilled in the fridge?

I made some tapioca pudding on Sunday. I've never made it before. I think I may have only ever had it once. Here is the recipe that I used as a guide.

1/3 cup tapioca (small pearls)

1 cup milk

1 1/2 cups coconut milk

1 small pinch of kosher salt

1 1/2 tablespoons molasses

1/2 cp whipped cream

2 heaping tablespoons brown sugar

Toasted coconut for garnish

Now, right off the bat, I'll say I made one change that may be the cause of the results I got. The store didn't have small pearl tapioca. Just the "Minute Tapioca". I knew it wasn't the right kind. I debated what to do. In the end, I bought and decided to go with it.

The recipe called for soaking the tapioca for 1 to 2 hours in the milk. I decided to go with about 30 minutes. And I also used a bit less than 1/3 cup.

After soaking, I dumped the milk soaked (along with milk) into a sauce pan. I added the coconut milk, molasses, and brown sugar. Put it to medium high heat. the recipe I had said to stir until it thickly coated the back of a spoon. The box of Minute tapioca suggested cooking until a full simmer. I did the full simmer thing. It certainly was coating the spoon by then.

the sauce pan went into an ice bath.. I stirred until it cooled down. Then, I folded in the whipped cream. At this point, It seemed to have a consistency/texture that looked right. It was still "fluid". But it was only 2 or 3 in the afternoon. This was for after dinner. so, I loaded it into a container and stashed it in the fridge. I knew it was gonna set up some more. And it did. It wasn't fluid it all. Pretty stiff. But not really heavy. I think that the whipped cream hep there.. the flavor is really great, though. But it's just really thick.

So, how thick SHOULD chilled tapioca pudding be? I assume if I made it with small pearl, the measure of tapioca would have been less over all since they are larger in volume than the Minute stuff, leading to less thickening power? Did I over cook it? It was coating the back of the spoon before it got to the full simmer. Maybe I should have stopped?

I'm perfectly willing to seek out small pearl tapioca and try again if I will get a looser final result after it's been in the fridge. That is, if that's the way it should be.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

• 2 years later...

I made some tapioca pudding with granulated tapioca yesterday, and it turned out great, as usual. Of course, I ate it all, and wanted more, so this time, I decided to try with small pearls. I used the Bob's Red Mill ratios and cooking instructions, with the exception that I didn't separate the eggs. Instead, I beat them with the sugar, and added them to the hot tapioca/milk mixture after tempering.

I followed the cooking instructions (bring tapioca/milk to boil, then simmer at very low heat for 10-15 minutes, temper eggs, add to mixture, cook for 3 more minutes, cool, then add vanilla).

I poured into bowls and popped it into the fridge.

The granulated one was fairly firm after about 2 hours, and was mostly cool, but this small pearl variety, while it was cold, was rather soupy.

Sooooo, I dumped it back into the pan, brought it to a boil, which seemed to thicken it, then poured it back into the bowls. However, it seemed to "break" the pudding. It looked decidedly grainy after this treatment, although I haven't tasted it to see what the texture really is like.

Two questions: 1) Does small-pearl tapioca pudding take longer to set up? 2) Could I have truly curdled my pudding by re-boiling it?

Tracy

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

Ok, small update:

Re-boiled tapioca set up fast. And it did curdle.

I'm wondering why it didn't set up the first time, when I followed the directions. The egg separation shouldn't have anything to do with it, as the idea behind that is to beat the whites and fold them in for fluffier pudding, which I didn't want.

I guess the next time it doesn't set up right, I'll re-cook it, but NOT boil it. I'll just have patience and reheat over low heat, stirring constantly until it thickens.

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

• 10 months later...

I bought some 'Tapioca Pearl' from an Asian market a while back - it's so inexpensive. Went to make some today. Well, the old standard way is to soak the large pearls for a long time then cook them slowly. Not for these from CTF - Combine Thai Foods. They break apart upon soaking. I think this may be true with all the Asian tapioca pearls except perhaps for the quick-cooking boba tea types, which don't really do anything if you soak them. These are partly cooked (or are chemically altered) and only take 5 minutes to get to boba consistency. It looks like the other type can be used for boba too - just in a different way - well I assume these were the first boba!

So for this type of pearl tapioca you have to add it to hot boiling water, as this seals the pearl and it will not break up. Then it cooks. Takes about 30 minutes of boiling, plus some resting to get to the fully cooked stage. This is much shorter than the pearl tapioca made for the US market - which takes much longer (and benefits from the soaking). I think the main difference is the density of the pearls.

I can't really tell the difference from appearance or ingredients between these two types - and maybe there are intermediate ones too? The quick boba types - are quite distinct though - are sort of soft from the start (well a little harder than a pencil eraser anyway) - and have lots of other ingredients besides tapioca/Casava and water...

I'm not making boba anyway, but a tapioca desert with purple yam - should be good!

• 1 year later...

Well not really wanting to start a new thread...  I used my large (1/4 inch or so Diameter) tapioca pearls - again from an Asian Market.  Put them in boiling water to make a dessert with a little sugar.  Simmered them for nearly an hour.  Then I added the other ingredients - coconut milk, more sugar, etc.  and cooked it really low for another hour.  Tapioca was not done - still dry inside!  Soaking this tapioca simply makes it fall apart.  Any ideas?  The little tapioca (same brand but it's probably 1/16 inch in diameter or smaller) works fine just added to boiling liquids - and this takes about 20 minutes.  Tapioca from the local grocery store works by soaking overnight - but it's gotten hard to find and really expensive.

My initial thought is that they were older stock. I've heard that if tapioca gets old enough, it will never soften completely. Is it possible these large pearls were sitting on someone's shelf (Asian market or yours) for a long time?

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

• 6 years later...

OK I am energized to play. The coconut milk renditions call to me with fruit. My family experience is with the Minute stuff or even the pudding cups from Jello? Why did this disappear? Pandemic comfort/nostalgia?

The only tapioca pudding I'm familiar with is one made of small pearls and coconut milk, served colds, often with various fruits and toppings. I dislike cold tapioca so it was never my thing. I never thought of trying it warm.

Now with all due respect to tapioca pearls, starch noodles are way more fun in any application (hot or cold). Either thin ones (like rice vermicelli or mung bean noodles) or thick ones (like chendol).

~ Shai N.

26 minutes ago, shain said:

The only tapioca pudding I'm familiar with is one made of small pearls and coconut milk, served colds, often with various fruits and toppings. I dislike cold tapioca so it was never my thing. I never thought of trying it warm.

In my experience the small pearls warm with cow's milk is US thing - nursery comfort like perhaps rice pudding which I detest. What is that word that someone used on me the other day? - curmudgeon?

• Like 1

On 1/12/2009 at 7:44 PM, jsmeeker said:

how thick should a tapioca be after it's chilled in the fridge?

I made some tapioca pudding on Sunday. I've never made it before. I think I may have only ever had it once. Here is the recipe that I used as a guide.

1/3 cup tapioca (small pearls)

1 cup milk

1 1/2 cups coconut milk

1 small pinch of kosher salt

1 1/2 tablespoons molasses

1/2 cp whipped cream

2 heaping tablespoons brown sugar

Toasted coconut for garnish

Now, right off the bat, I'll say I made one change that may be the cause of the results I got. The store didn't have small pearl tapioca. Just the "Minute Tapioca". I knew it wasn't the right kind. I debated what to do. In the end, I bought and decided to go with it.

The recipe called for soaking the tapioca for 1 to 2 hours in the milk. I decided to go with about 30 minutes. And I also used a bit less than 1/3 cup.

After soaking, I dumped the milk soaked (along with milk) into a sauce pan. I added the coconut milk, molasses, and brown sugar. Put it to medium high heat. the recipe I had said to stir until it thickly coated the back of a spoon. The box of Minute tapioca suggested cooking until a full simmer. I did the full simmer thing. It certainly was coating the spoon by then.

the sauce pan went into an ice bath.. I stirred until it cooled down. Then, I folded in the whipped cream. At this point, It seemed to have a consistency/texture that looked right. It was still "fluid". But it was only 2 or 3 in the afternoon. This was for after dinner. so, I loaded it into a container and stashed it in the fridge. I knew it was gonna set up some more. And it did. It wasn't fluid it all. Pretty stiff. But not really heavy. I think that the whipped cream hep there.. the flavor is really great, though. But it's just really thick.

So, how thick SHOULD chilled tapioca pudding be? I assume if I made it with small pearl, the measure of tapioca would have been less over all since they are larger in volume than the Minute stuff, leading to less thickening power? Did I over cook it? It was coating the back of the spoon before it got to the full simmer. Maybe I should have stopped?

I'm perfectly willing to seek out small pearl tapioca and try again if I will get a looser final result after it's been in the fridge. That is, if that's the way it should be.

I have had the same soft results following the directions on the Minute Tapioca box.    Made it last month for the first time in many years.     Next time, I will let the pudding simmer on minimum flame for a good five minutes.     And also may incorporate the egg whole rather than separated.    Or maybe add an eggyolk to the pudding and add the whipped whites at the end.    This was the first time I'd made it in years, and I'd never had problems with consistency before    This last batch was delicious but thin.

Like most custards, the flavor depends totally on the quality vanilla you use.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)

eGullet member #80.