• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BBQ and cocktails?

kvltrede

We're doing a hot link (and maybe rib-tip) taste-off tonight between two South Side Chicago bbq institutions, Lem's and Barbara Ann's. I've had Lem's link and it may be the finest sausage I've ever had--spicy, meaty and covered in a great sauce. Some folks say that Barbara Ann's hot link is even better. That's hard for me to believe but if there's an argument it must be no less than a fine sausage so we're putting 'em head-to-head.

Anyhoo, we're doing cocktails too, maybe with, maybe after. Beer's an obvious and fine companion to bbq and my usual choice but I'm thinking that maybe some of you have found certain cocktails match up with bbq just as well. I assume anything with a strong citrus base should be good--maybe something simple like a margarita or daiquiri--but if there's a cocktail or mixed drink you'd like to recommend I'm all ears.

Hey, how 'bout Caipirinhas? I like 'em but have never had one alongside bbq. That might be just the ticket. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Kurt

“I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake--which I also keep handy.” ~W.C. Fields

The Handy Snake

Sounds to me like you are on the right track. Caparihas and beer were the general accompaniments to barbecue while my hubby was in Brazil. Churrasco is a bit different from American BBQ (no sauce) but smokey, grilled meats--same idea.

It's not a cocktail, but we like Shiraz or Zinfindel and other spicy reds with BBQ.

I also like champagne with BBQ. Maybe champagne cocktails?

Edit to say, what I actually like even better with BBQ is cava. Cava cocktails instead, then?

Edited by Liz Johnson (log)

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

I also like champagne with BBQ. Maybe champagne cocktails?

Edit to say, what I actually like even better with BBQ is cava. Cava cocktails instead, then?

I second the champagne idea. And as a recent ex-pat of the BBQ capital (Lockhart, TX), may I also suggest the champagne of beers, MHL.

I would think caipirinhas, mojitos, margaritas - the rocks kind with salt - or almost any cocktail made with ginger beer would marry well with smoked meat. And beer, of course. Try Duvel with your BBQ sometime.

Edited to add that I'm actually more of a sweet tea fan with bbq, myself.

K

Edited by bergerka (log)

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Thanks all. I appreciate all the great suggestions.

We picked up some key limes on the way to the South Side so we started off with Caipirinhas. I think there's a cachaca thread somewhere around here that suggests that key lime Caiprinhas taste more like the Caiprinhas one gets in Brazil. I have no idea if that's true but the verdict was unanimous that Caiprinhas made with key limes were tastier than those we had made last summer with standard issue Chicago (via Mexico?) limes.

We had a couple each and then switched to key lime Daiquiris. Very tasty. Next time, and I assure you there will be a next time, I'll use the other suggestions.

FWIW, we found the Lem's hot link to be tastier than Barbara Ann's but we preferred Barbara Ann's rib tips and sauce. Definitely no losers in this match.

Kurt

“I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake--which I also keep handy.” ~W.C. Fields

The Handy Snake