• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dog friendly places in London?

We just got a little Norfolk Terrier puppy and were wondering how many places he can come with us...

So far we found one pub, The Feathers, near Baker Street, that is very dog friendly... and of course, any pub outside, especially with the nice weather coming...

Where do you go with your poochies?

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

How I miss living in London... here in Vancouver unless you have a seeing eye dog no restaurant is dog friendly. I'm curious how this thread developes as we are in London several months each year and usually dog sit for our friends who live in Canary Wharf which seems very un dog friendly.

Stephen Bonner

Vancouver Canada

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

With most pubs now serving food, they are generally not dog friendly. And IMHO (as a German Shepherd owner) I do not disagree with this.

Well behaved dogs should be welcome in pub gardens in the burbs and country.

(Hopefully your Norfolk came complete with tail.)

May I say for my part that all well behaved dogs and their owners are welcome at Lola's. I feel vicariously 'continental' when dogs (and children) visit the restaurant. There is no legislation against them (dogs that is) and I dont quite see why they should be excluded from joining in the fun.

May I say for my part that all well behaved dogs and their owners are welcome at Lola's. I feel vicariously 'continental' when dogs (and children) visit the restaurant. There is no legislation against them (dogs that is) and I dont quite see why they should be excluded from joining in the fun.

What about people that have allergies to dogs? Or don't want pet hair in their food? Some dogs are also smelly - Eau d' Doggy whilst I'm eating, no thanks.

I'm playing devils advocate here because although I'm a dog owner, I don't want to chow down with my pet unless I'm in a pub garden. (same withs kids actually

:hmmm::wink: - and I don't even want to be in a garden with them :raz: )

Hi Sandra I certainly wouldn't allow dogs in the kitchen so you dont have to worry about hairs in your food. I would expel any smelly dogs or disruptive ones, as I said, well behaved dogs that sit underneath a table are hardly noticeable, and sometimes better behaved than customers!

Morfudd, thanks for this reply, we will certainly be visiting Lola's when little Gomez gets a bit older, he is only 15 weeks old and very excitable still!

Sandra

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

If you are looking for a nice pub (perhaps to have a drink before eating at Lola's), the Mucky Pup , at 39 Queens Head St was recently voted the most dog friendly pub in the UK. Its just off Essex Road, a hundred yards or so south of Steven Hatt's.

They have web site :http://www.muckypup-london.com/

The dog friendly competition is run by the Dog Trust. They have listings of other dog friendly bars (also dog friendly, accomodation, beaches and tourist attractions) on their web site. There are a couple of dozen other pubs listed in London (including the Royal Standard in Greenwich , which brews its own beers, including some "interesting" fruit, coffee and chocolate flavoured ones).

The dogs trust site is at: http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/main.asp?structureid=627

Gethin