• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fancy Pants in Seattle

A friend's father is trying to arrange a dinner conference and is looking for a very good restaurant in Seattle. His company will be trying to host a number of doctors (20-30) for I assume cocktails and dinner.

Cost is not too much of an issue. In fact - it needs to be the kind of place that will really attract that sort of crowd.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :biggrin:

I've gone to pharmaceutical company sponsored dinner/lectures at El Gaucho-- they have a small back room (maybe it's downstairs?) that is perfect for a small meeting. The Metropolitan Steak House is also popular. You really need to pick somewhere special and higher-end or nobody (except starving residents) will attend. Sad but true.

I've been to more drug company dinners at El Gaucho and Daniel's than I can count. The steak places in Seattle get chosen very often. Waterfront and Dahlia get picked very often also. On the other hand all of these places have pretty good event staffs because of that. Kaspar's and Palisades also get the call quite often when the weather is nice. I think I went to three dinners in a row at Palisades last year all within a month. I keep trying to do something at Union and just haven't gotten the stars to line up quite yet, Ethan is perfectly willing to shut down for a large party as long as it's not a Friday or Saturday. I've also had success at Tulio in the past. Is this a dinner/lecture or a more social event?

Rocky

• 2 weeks later...

Where did you end up going?

I would also recommend Canlis for an occasion like this. I attended a combo shareholders/retirement dinner party in their back room recently, and the food, wine, service and view were all top notch. I think there were about 20-25 of us back there. One highlight of the evening was they were serving Woodward Canyon Cabernet Sauvignon all night long... :rolleyes: .

• 3 months later...

Sorry it has taken me so long to report back in.

Your suggestions were spot on and my friend's father chose Waterfront and his dinner/presentation was a real success. Excellent food and the restaurant had a room that was specifically designed for presentations with water on three sides of the room.

The attendance was very strong - thanks in no small part to venue. And as noted above- Doctors are notorious for being no shows.

Many thanks to you all for the great guidance.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

• 2 weeks later...

I have two options for fine dining in Seattle but only one day (conference with reservations at both places): Either Rover's or The Georgian at the Fairmont.

Would love to know what the locals think. Which is the better experience?

THANKS!

WIGS21