• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who likes Korean BBQ? I do, I do!

Are there good places to go for this in the DC area? During the year-and-a-half that I have lived in the area, I have driven by the Yi Jo Korean Restaurant in College Park several times and been curious, but the fact that it was in the lobby of a Days Inn made me reluctant. (I don't know why, I've been to really good Korean BBQ in Seattle and LA that were in equally inauspicious buildings.) I finally went and thought it was surprisingly good. We ended up ordering two different beef items (no, I cant remember exactly what they were, it was actually a few weeks ago, before I even had posting permissions here) and the eel. They don't let you BBQ the eel at the table, they do it in the kitchen instead. The beef was done at the table, however. I prefer when the wait staff get the grill started and leave me to take over after that, which was not the case at Yi Jo, but it was still delicious. There was the usual assortment of pickles and such, most of which I do not know the name of (with the exception of kim chee) since they usually just come when you order stuff to grill. We also ordred a scallion pancake that turned out to be about the size of a medium pizza and was very good.

"If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?"

It was alleged that a Korean Barbecue would soon be springing up in the space formerly known as Sam & Harry's at Tysons Corner. Anyone know if this is still the case, and when it will open?

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

There are some who argue that the best Korean food is available (in order of precedence) in: Seoul, New York, Los Angeles, and Annandale. Having eaten my way though all four, I tend to agree.

For BBQ, the family favorite is still Sorak Garden. You and your clothes will smell like garlic and BBQ for three days.

For newcomers, Hee Been, just off I-395 on Little River Turnpike, can be a good introduction. Go for their $15 lunch buffet, where you can get all-you-can-eat table BBQ, and all kinds of things without committing to any one dish.

If you really want to eat cheaply, avoid the restaurants and eat at the food courts in the Korean grocery stores--Lotte is the busiest, probably followed by Super H.

If you're looking for Korean food closer to DC, I'm not a fan of Yee-Hwa (21st & K); instead go to Woo Lae Oak in Pentagon City, though you'll pay for the experience.

• 2 weeks later...

For the best korean BBQ I look for cut of meat, seasoning and banchan (side dishes).

The best around Washington DC for my $ is Woo Lee Oak on Joyce St in Crystal City. But it is also the most expensive korean restaurant. It is expected to move to Tyson soon but not heard anything about a specific date. It gets top marks for all three. I would also try getting Jungsik with the ribs (lots of side dishes).

Sorak as mentioned by other is also good but I have to say meat is slightly of less quality than Woo Lee Oak. Seasoning is just as good and Banchan is good. However, I really don't care for the service there especially when busy. I was there two Sundays ago, and the service made me regret going there. My favorite @ sorak is the nangmein rib combo.

Yaechon on hummer road in Annadale is also good. This is a great place to finish off a long evening out. They have a grill meat special for 50 or 60 bucks that comes with enough meet to feed 2 or 3 big eaters. You get chicken, beef (rib and burgogi), pork, shrimp, and lobster.

I would really steer you away from Il mil or any other buffet places because the cut of meat used is not that great. Go for quality vs. quantity in this case. Of the three, if this is your first time out at korean, go to Woo Lee Oak. Otherwise give Yaechon a try.

Soup

• 2 weeks later...

There's a really great Korean bbq place in the same shopping center as the Grand Mart in Centreville. I was there last night - not only do they have great barbeque, but all their other foods are great, too. Bibimbap, jaepche, seafood pancake, and the cold noodles are all outstanding. Plus, it's the only Korean restaurant I've been to that serves this yummy cinnamon-persimmon punch at the end of the meal.