• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[CHI] Crofton on Wells

elfin

Dined at Crofton's on Wells last night and I can not remember having such an all-around good experience in a long time. Early reservation at 6pm-the place was empty but the knowledgeable and friendly bartender picked up the small batch bourbon vibe of the group and tailored the drinks to everyone's individual tastes. By 7:30 nearly all of the tables were full. Our server was well informed with the wine list and the food and really lead our group through dinner. Appetizers-a lump crabmeat cake with no breading was very tasty and the fois gras with date was sublime. The venison was the best I have had-tender, juicy and not at all gamey. The bbq pork (tenderloin?) was very sophisticated- the glaze/sauce was light but yet packed the same flavors of the typical heavier bbq sauce. The beef and guinea hen entrees were very good-heirloom potatos were sliced thin and complemented the beef juice. There is a vegetarian menu which we did not partake. Desserts included a 'berry'-rich sorbet trio, a banana cake and a dense chocolate mousse with ice cream and carmelized sugar. I did not take part in the after dinner ports but my colleagues enjoyed theirs. Everything was seasoned perfectly- I did not salt or pepper anthything-a very rare occurance. Chef Suzie Crofton was not on the premises last night-one would have never known-a perfect evening.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

Exactly, George. I think Crofton on Wells may be the best restaurant that no one talks about. I'm really glad to read the positive report.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I agree. We had dinner there a little over a year ago and it was one of those meals that was just quietly perfect. The crab cakes lived up to our server's praise, my salmon was perfection. Our server was an organic farmer, waiting tables during the off-season. He sells to the restaurant during growing season and consequently was very knowledgeable about the food, down to the ingredient-level.

On my last visit to Chicago I walked by one afternoon and peered in the window; about that time a couple walked up to read the menu posted on the door as they were scouting their dinner location for later. They probably thought I owned the place or was a paid shill by the time I finished my raving. Just good, straight-forward, ingredient-driven food.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Last year I had a case that with the suspect in Chicago and this Chicago Detective did a whole bunch of work on it, took the bad guy to jail in Chicago etc....so us Detectives out here in L.A. decided to send him and his wife to dinner in Chicago..I was able to get ahold of Phil Vittel (sp) and he said the one place in Chicago to send someone is Crofton on Wells....Well, long story short, the Detective and his wife were amazed and called us raving about how good it was...the food was very new to them, but they loved it....if I ever get to Chicago, I am going to check it out for sure.

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

• 2 weeks later...

In doing some reseach for another thread it came to my attention that Crofton on Wells has a beautiful web site and I wanted to provide a link:

Crofton on Wells

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

• 2 years later...

Congratulations to her [them] for beating the odds! I may have to stop in on my next visit.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

My one dinner two years ago was ho-hum, but certainly not as bad as nxstasy's described experience. The food was better than the service.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I've probably been there 10 or so times over the years, and it has been on my personal list of favorite restaurants for at least six or seven years. I've never had bad service, maybe some staff who seemed a bit unexperienced, but they were still passable, so I am surprised to hear such a report.

As the article (and the eGullet headline) notes, however, there is not much buzz about it, and even I sometimes forget it when making dining plans. In fact, it's probably been over a year since I've been.