• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite ways to cook swiss chard?

cacao

Hello:

I love swiss chard, and it seems to be in great abundance in the markets I frequent, lately. I have a lovely bunch with pink stems in the fridge waiting to be cooked!

But, I am a bit tired of the way I near always cook it - sauteed in olive oil, garlic, with currants and pine nuts. I'm looking to try something different, interesting, fun, even!

with it. I was considering some sort of stuffed chard dish.. not sure what Id want to stuff in it (I am a 'fish-eating vegetarian', by the way). Or.. maybe chard pizza? :)

Any suggestions, from fellow chard lovers?

-cacao

I get bombarded with swiss chard from my garden.

separate the leaves and the stems - boil the leaves and then put them aside for a omlette or a quiche or whatever (if you are an egg eating vegetarian)

cut the stems into 5 inch pieces - boil until the are a little soft - but still with a slight crunch (Im sure there is a perfect french name for this ... )

dip in eggs and then breadcrumbs

fry and dry (soak up the excess grease)

plop those babies in a baking dish and cover with tomato sauce- sprinkle some grated cheese on top

shove it in the oven for a bit -- about 30 min.

I stuffed some chard the other night for dinner:

chicken.cups.jpg

The filling was minced chicken breasts but, as a fish-eating vegetarian, you'd probably want something a little different :wink:

Maybe a shellfish (does that count as "fish" for you?) like scallops? Or a spicy rice concoction?

I will say that the mustard sauce (a combo of Dijon, dry mustard, and yogurt) served with it went extremely well with the chard.

I stuffed some chard the other night for dinner:

chicken.cups.jpg

The filling was minced chicken breasts but, as a fish-eating vegetarian, you'd probably want something a little different  :wink:

Maybe a shellfish (does that count as "fish" for you?) like scallops? Or a spicy rice concoction?

I will say that the mustard sauce (a combo of Dijon, dry mustard, and yogurt) served with it went extremely well with the chard.

Jen, that's lovely! Hmm.. Mustard and chard - I hadn't thought of that combination.

And I adore good mustard. I have an interesting chipoltle lime mustard open, right now, too.

Thanks for the ideas, everyone. Kellytree, the chard stem recipe sounds great! I have made simple gratins with the stems before, but with cream/milk. The tomato sauce baked idea sounds tasty.

-Cacao

i made a risotto the other week with ruby chard (leaves and stems) and goat's gouda, it was quite good. :)

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

This is not too far from your preparation.

I like the deep red chard the best, with lots of stem.

Garlic, red pepper flakes, thyme, oregano, lemon and anchovy paste.

(If you use whole anchovy filets, add them with the garlic at the begining and break apart with spoon.)

Tear leaves from stems, and chop stems in 1/4" segments.

Saute garlic briefly in olive oil. Add pepperflakes, thyme, oregano, anchovy, chopped stems and give a little head start cooking. Add leaves, squeeze in half a lemon, bit of salt, cover and wilt. Spoon onto plates with plenty of pot likker.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA