• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

French Toast

jaybee

This subject must have been covered before my eGullet time, but I don't know where it is so, here goes:  french toast is a major fav with our family for weekend breakfasts.  Thanks to a griddle built into our stove and a very large pan, I can cook about twelve to fourteen slices at the same time, so no one has to wait.  My method is to mix a batter of lots of eggs, some half and half (about 1/2 cup), a splash of vanilla, pinch of salt and soak 1" thick slices of challah through and through.  I use more eggs than I need, but want to make sure there's enough to really soak the bread. These are then dusted with cinammon and put on a buttered griddle, drizzled with maple syrup, cooked until golden on both sides.  I usually put a pat of butter on top of each sclice before removing from griddle to melt into the slice.  Serve with maple syrup and good preserves, thick sliced bacon and yum.

Anybody have another tried and true method?  I've read the brioche makes great french toast.  Does it?

jaybee, my mix is about the same as yours, right down to the 1" slices of challah, but ever since I saw the tip in Cook's Illustrated, I put some flour in the batter.  It makes the exterior of the bread crispier without interfering with the custardy center.

I envy your griddle--my cast-iron pan makes two slices at once.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

I use a bit of flour in the egg. Salt, pepper, minced jalapeno, ancho powder, fresh oregano. On the griddle, flip, when near done, flip, sprinkle with grated Monterey Jack and minced tomatom under the salamander to melt the cheese.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

jaybee, my mix is about the same as yours, right down to the 1" slices of challah, but ever since I saw the tip in Cook's Illustrated, I put some flour in the batter.

Mamster, yes, thanks.  I read, filed and forgot that, but I definitley will try it.  I did find that drizzling maple syrup on while grilling creates a kind of carmelized crust, but the flour is worth a try.  Thanks.

Jinmyo, your approach is more toward the savory than sweet.

I like it for a later-in-the-day brunch.  I bet bloody maries go good with jalapeno french toast.  yum.

Carman of Carman's Country Kitchen in Philadelphia usually coats her French Toast with Corn Flakes.   On occasion she's done the same with shaved almonds or crushed pecans.  Works rather well.

French Toast is also a great medium to stuff.  Cut extra thick, slice a pocket.  One of my favorite combinations is orange marmalade and cream cheese

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

French Toast is also a great medium to stuff.  Cut extra thick, slice a pocket.  One of my favorite combinations is orange marmalade and cream cheese

If one can find a Portugese bakery, try their Bread, it's a bit denser and more flavorful.....and then stuff with fresh Goat Cheese and Jalapeno Pepper Jelly. Plus, in the batter put a tablespoon of undiluted frozen Orange Juice.

Peter

Liza, tommy, why not? I'm sure you can get something for about $600. Our kitchen is as large as most apartments but it depends on where one's priorities lie. I'd go for a salamander over a couch. Or just mount it over the couch. :wink:

Sometimes I also mince shrimp, bay scallops, ginger and scallions into the remaining egg mixture for plain (sourdough) french toast, pour it on after the second flip and then put them under the salamander. Garnish with coriander and serve with a broth (dashi with a sea scallop or a Thai lemongrass broth with a quail egg or somesuch).

Now and then I'll serve plainish french toast with a tomato and sausage (chorizo or hot Italian or both) sauce.

Sometimes with kippers atop and blackened tomato halves to the side.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Can't speak for Tommy, and certainly wouldn't dare to, but we rent our adopted home, with kindness from B Edulis, so the salamander will just have to wait. Just as the dishwasher, microwave, toaster, all wait patiently. I have this way with appliances and can keep them at bay, happily waiting to fill my culinary needs, for years. It's a gift.

Liza, I don't even know where the salamander plugs in let alone what it would take to set one up. Not what I do. I was just being light about it and did not mean to appear otherwise. My apologies.

You and D certainly do more than make do, though. :wink:

Jinmyo,

No worries! I wasn't scolding, though I'm sure it's difficult to determine tone of voice via the internet, please do not worry. Having been adopted after being homeless post-9/11, I am completely content with my surroundings, and just write about our 'lackings' with hopes of sympathy and donated salamanders.  :biggrin:

:biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting the number of variations... I tend to do eggs, milk, nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla, but my wife *requires* that i reduce the amount of egg I use in favor of more milk, and the addition of a bit of sugar.  Bread, of late, has been thickly sliced Hawaiian sweetbread.  Very tasty.

The toast itself, for her, is served with powdered sugar instead of syrup.  Her family is originally from New Orleans, but I don't know if that's a regional thing or not.

I finish my french toast in the oven after starting it on a griddle.  Using very thick slices of bread, I let the french toast really soak up the egg mixture.  Finishing it in the oven creates an almost custard like texture.

Fresh nutmeg is also a must for me.

I was served a stuffed french toast at Loew's L'Enfant Plaza in Washington 20 years ago and I have recreated it at home

It is stuffed with cream cheese and crisp bacon strips.

You can either stuff it in a pocket or make two, thinner, pieces of French toast and put the stuffing in between before the last turn on the griddle.

Use the cream cheese plain or mix it with a little sugar and vanilla. Any way it is good.

About 6-8 minutes in a 325 in a convection oven.  It does not take long for the french toast to puff up like a soufflé.

Great!  I can't wait to try that.  This weekend.  Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

breakfast~

thickly sliced chalah or french bread

milk

eggs

lemon and orange extracts

granulated sugar

cinnamon

confectioners sugarif desired

ricotta

apricot halves

Usually a couple cups of milk (thick slices...suck it right up)

2 eggs

the extracts to taste

sweeten the mix a bit with granulated sugar

arrange the slices like a chinese fan on the plate

at the pointy end, a good dollop of ricotta and garnish with some apricot slices.

confectioners sugar and cinnamon on top if you want

Honey or fruit preserves over the top...

dessert~

cinnamon raisin bread

milk

eggs

nutmeg

sambucca

peach schnapps (yeah it sounds freaky but it works)

buckwheat honey

when you plate the slices, a bit of butter and drizzle some of the honey....in the oven or broiler a minute to liquefy it and have it soak into the slices

Wow, good stuff.  I like the lemon and orange extract addition.  Will try it.  Do you think using half and half mixed in the milk adds richness and taste?  I've not done a side by side.

I like to put a little syrup and cinnamon on the bread when grilling, so it caramelizes.  Makes a messier pan, but tastes good.