• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Knife grabbers...

chefworks91

I don't care if he has to brunoise carrots with his teeth; if I see the hapless little fucker anywhere near my knifeboxes I'm going to gut him.

If only! Thing is, if I did gut the fuckers, *I* would be the one to go to jail! How messed up is that! :raz:

Pat

Yep, some countries just don't get the "justafiable homicide" defence. :raz: Damn shame. As the sig line says -- real friends will help you bury the bodies! :laugh:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Yesterday one of the front of house bosses walked into the kitchen and started to make a sandwich with my knife on the cuttingboard I was using. I couldn't believe it. There was a bin of twenty house knives two feet away. I looked at her and asked "so, do you like raw chicken on your sandwich"...implying that the board and knife had just been used to cut chicken. I think she got the message. Look...I would rather spend 15 minutes making a sandwich for her than have her waltz in and handle my property. If it happens again, my response will be, "don't you ever touch my fucking knife again".

You see, the kitchen used to be in a different location than the offices. We just moved. She has not idea what is acceptable behavior in the kitchen.

Everyone else I work with knows not to touch my knives. Sometimes I will offer a knife to someone if they are really struggling with delicate work. I want my food to look good. They understand that it is not an invitation to use my knives in the future. Other kitchens I have been in, I wouldn't loan a knife for anything.

Yesterday one of the front of house bosses walked into the kitchen and started to make a sandwich with my knife on the cuttingboard I was using.

Front of house staff allowed behind the pass? Unimaginably worse, preparing food?

Unconscionable.

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

Yep, some countries just don't get the "justafiable homicide" defence.  :raz:  Damn shame.  As the sig line says -- real friends will help you bury the bodies!  :laugh:

Hmm, Consomme of Hapless Little Fucker. With special attention paid in selecting the part for the clear meat.

Edit: *whew* Think I needed to vent! Anyway, what's the policy at your workplace, chefworks91? IMO how easy it is to resolve the knife-lifting also depends on the chef's attitude towards it as well.

Pat

Edited by Sleepy_Dragon (log)

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

Yesterday one of the front of house bosses walked into the kitchen and started to make a sandwich with my knife on the cuttingboard I was using.

Front of house staff allowed behind the pass? Unimaginably worse, preparing food?

Unconscionable.

She just built the kitchen so I can't really ban her. We don't have a dining room, so it is not a line setting. Boss= Part owner.

Just politely point out that it's a health violation for a non-uniformed person to prepare food, even for his/her own personal consumption, in a kitchen where meals are prepared for the public.

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

Right. Like I want to wear a hairnet. Talk about making a mountain out of a .....

This is not a coroprate setting here. We aren't going to put sucurity gates in the kitchen.

I believe Bourdain said it best in Kitchen Confidential: "Don't touch my dick, don't touch my knife."

Also, please have your knives engraved!!

May I suggest you get them engraved with this quote? Unless of course you don't have one.