• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tarragona+ Southern Catalunya in May, experiences?

Well, The Vikings including one 8- and one 10 year old are going to Spain the 1st week of May..

For three nights we'll be staying in/on top of Barcelona at the Gran Hotel La Florida, and most of our dinners/lunches are more or less set/decided, including Cal Pep and Cinc Sentits (unless someone has any fab. suggestions for restaurants that will appeal to both adults and kids palatewise).

Even though we would be able to get reservations at El Bulli, we're actually not (!)going this time on account of the kids... :wacko:

So, after that we're headed to Reus, staying at the Mas Passamaner www.maspassamaner.com for four nights, and obviously, two days will be dedicated to Port Aventura, but we're also looking for a gastronomic angle both during the day and the early evening..

The hotel's restaurant; La Gigantea seems more than adequate, but does anyone have any other suggestions in the Tarragona/Reus/Cambrisl/Salou area?

The kids are in general well behaved, and especially the eldest has shown a fondness for the Iberian cuisine (Including Pimientos de Cristal, ventresca, Llomo embuchado iberico ++), but I don't think a fully formal event lasting lots of hours will be that a good idea.

Thanks in advance!

I've had a very good experience at La Fonda Emilio in Les Borges del Camp, close to Reus, and also heard very good reviews of the new aq in Tarragona.

Other options are La Morera de Pablo y Esther in Salou and Rincón de Diego in Cambrills, heven't been there but heard good reviews.

And there is always the classics Can Bosch and Joan Gatell in Cambrills.

Don't forget to report if you visit any of them.

Rogelio Enríquez aka "Rogelio"

I've had a very good experience at La Fonda Emilio in Les Borges del Camp, close to Reus, and also heard very good reviews of the new aq in Tarragona.

I strongly support both recs, those are quality restaurants, but also kids friendly. In aq, they organize even culinary experiences for children.

Bibi at La Fonda Emilio, and Ana & Quintín at aq are very nice people. Do not hesitate to comment with them any doubt regarding children, timetable or anything similar.

Disclosure: I am good friends with these people.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are heading north on the way to Valbona Monastery try Can Trave in Solivella. It is owned by one of the local wine producers and the food and service were both excellent. They seemed to specialize in meat dishes. Naturally, they carry their own wines about which we had no complaints.

West of Reus in Gratallops is the Cellars of Gratallops, which also has excellent food. My bonita with peppers and fragrant marinated onions was particularly intriguing, as was the cheese ice cream. They also had three different vintages of the same wine available (just in case you and the kids drink a lot).

Thanks for all your advice so far, unfortunately Joan Gatell is closed during our stay (W¨'re in the region from 2nd-9th of May). But the village of Gratallops looks very picturesque, and I also came across a promising restaurant called Irreductibles, mighr check that one out as well! www.irreductibles.org

On a sidetrack from the gastronomic route: I know I have to go to Port Aventura with the kids for a day or two :hmmm: , any decent restaurants around there or tips/hints?