• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dog-friendly cafes in Seattle?

Sooo...

The pup and I were wandering around Swanson's nursery the other day, and were shocked and delighted to find that we *both* were welcome in the Celebrations Cafe.

Made me wonder...there are plenty of cafes that welcome dogs at outdoor tables, but how many allow them *inside*? While driving around Greenlake the other day, I think I saw a sign for a dog-friendly cafe next to My Friend's Cafe. Are there others?

If so, let's skip this thread. Would hate to get anyone busted....

T'was my understanding that food-service establishments were forbidden by health code from allowing animals inside. Is this not the case?

If so, let's skip this thread. Would hate to get anyone busted....
T'was my understanding that food-service establishments were forbidden by health code from allowing animals inside. Is this not the case?

Indeed, tis the case. :sad: Unless your pup has one of those "therapy dog" vests...i hear they are available somewhere on the net...not that i would ever encourage that kind of deception...

carla

I do think the coolest place to have lunch with your dog is the outdoor seating at Cafe Campagne. Tres francais!

That can only be authentic if the dog is actually sitting right on the table with the food. :biggrin:

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I can understand the reasons for a health code governing pets, but I can't find the specific rules about it. I've trolled around the King County Health Department site for a bit but couldn't find anything. If anyone knows (or can find) anything I would love to see it posted here.

I know about the place by Greenlake but haven't been in. I found out about it from a guy walking around the lake who stopped to pet my dog. He said that if anyone asks you can claim that your dog is a service dog without having to prove it. In other words you can say that your dog is 'in service' for personal protection (for instance) even though it isn't wearing anything to signify that fact. This sounds totally made up to me. But I so very much want to believe.

There are other places around town where dogs are welcome indoors. Let's get this straightened out and then possibly talk about them!

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

I work in healthcare administration for a very large medical clinic. Suffice it to say that people bring in all sorts of animals, stating they are therapy or service animals. My favorite so far was the Vietnamese pot bellied pig that was a service animal and shit profusely all over the waiting area and exam room. :blink:

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

I feel a rant coming on about Seattle dog owners . . . Must . . . Hold . . . Back . . . aah, you're not all bad, but there are enough lousy dog owners to give everyone a bad name.

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I feel a rant coming on about Seattle dog owners . . .  Must . . . Hold . . . Back . . . aah, you're not all bad, but there are enough lousy dog owners to give everyone a bad name.

Ohhh I'd like to hear that story. I'll ask next time I see you :wink:

Born Free, Now Expensive

From the King County Board of Health Code

5.32.060 Animals.

The food service establishment owner shall allow live animals only under the following

conditions:

A. Fish, crustacea and shellfish for food purposes in aquariums;

B. Fish in aquariums for display or decor;

C. Patrol dogs accompanying security or police officers; or

D. Guide dogs or service dogs, as defined under RCW 70.84, are allowed to accompany

a blind, visually handicapped, hearing impaired or otherwise physically disabled person in all

areas of a food service establishment.

(R&R 91 §1(part), 5-14-93)

RCW 70.84 then goes on to define service animals, the rights of people with service animals, and penalties for violation of this code.

Rocky

Edited by rockdoggydog (log)

We had dinner at Cactus in Madison Park tonight, and a lovely black and white spotted dog sat quietly by her owners as they dined outside in the cordoned off sidewalk seating area. The seatting hostess said that people often brought their dogs and sat outside to eat.

Dinner was very tasty. My beloved had the mojito special of the night (lime juice, mint, cucumber, honeydew and white rum) a tapas plate full of cornmeal coated fried calamari and jalapenos and a spinach salad with bermuda onions, crispy bacon, toasted pecans and ruby red slices of grapefruit. I had a dark beer and the chopped chicken salad.