• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Arcadia In San Jose

SKinCA

Some friends and I heard that this was pretty good. Anyone eaten there and have an opinion? If not Arcadia, where would you recommend for a group of 8 for around $50 a person, including a glass of wine?

Thanks!

Stephanie Kay

I don't know about Arcadia, but I have to say that the prices and food at Amber of India were SO reasonable when we went. Three of us shared entrees, had four glasses of wine (generous pours!) among us, and the total with a generous tip was exactly $100. It's at Santana Row. Fabulous food, Steph.

Another great spot, Habana Cuba. Just don't have cocktails, which are made with some substance that might involve pus from a demon. Stick to the wine list, which is good. That slow-roasted pork in citrus is a show stopper. Nothing fancy, but a great place for a group. The food is tasty and pleasing, and you can get louder than somewhere fancy.

If you know what I mean and I think you do. :wink:

I don't know about Arcadia, but I have to say that the prices and food at Amber of India were SO reasonable when we went.  Three of us shared entrees, had four  glasses of wine (generous pours!) among us, and the total with a generous tip was exactly $100. It's at Santana Row. Fabulous food, Steph.

Another great spot, Habana Cuba. Just don't have cocktails, which are made with some substance that might involve pus from a demon. Stick to the wine list, which is good. That slow-roasted pork in citrus is a show stopper. Nothing fancy, but a great place for a group. The food is tasty and pleasing, and you can get louder than somewhere fancy.

If you know what I mean and I think you do. :wink:

I think you've got our number. :biggrin:

I'll check with the group on the Havana Cuba idea. I like it. I'll see if it flies. Amber in Mountain View is my regular Indian choice, so I'm sure the Santana Row location would be great. We have one regular in the group who in Indian and is never happy with Indian food in restaurants, so that might put the kibosh on it.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Stephanie Kay

Skip it. It is overpriced, overhyped and with terrible service. I have tried it three times with the same results. Finger snacks 3 for $11 per person, or 4 for $14 per person are very small samplers of appetizers. Rip-off. Their signiture dish, Lobster Pot Pie is very nice but not worth the $40+ price. Everything else was not very exciting with small portions. Service has been consistently amateur hour, Mina blew it on this one. Expensive as all hell!!

Go to Manresa and have a real dining experince!

Manresa was absolutely my first choice, but as Tana reports, they are full on the 21st. We can't change our date because we're a party of 8 and getting us all free on the same date was a be-yatch, to say the least!

We're leaning towards Havana Cuba, but I'm still welcoming other suggestions.

And thanks hapacooking for the word on Arcadia - sounds like we'll take a pass on it!

Stephanie Kay

Yes I meant to skip "Arcadia".

Havana Cuba is a fun and has a very interesting menu. I would recommend it for a large party.

Another fantastic place is Consuelo Mexican Bistro at Santana Row. Small plates of alot of interesting flavors of authentic Mexican cuisine with a large variety of Tequila to taste.

Have fun!!

Yes I meant to skip "Arcadia".

Havana Cuba is a fun and has a very interesting menu.  I would recommend it for a large party.

Another fantastic place is Consuelo Mexican Bistro at Santana Row. Small plates of alot of interesting flavors of authentic Mexican cuisine with a large variety of Tequila to taste.

Have fun!!

I really like Consuelo, too. I've been a couple of times -- their mojitos are excellent, unlike the mojitos at Habana Cuba, which are made with that nasty sour stuff that tastes like vinegar strained through gym socks. (I wish they'd get their liquor license. I wish I'd stop bitching about the horrible cocktail that shocked me so much. I wish I had sent it back instead of politely choking it down and paying $6 for it. It was like, "This food is terrible! And there's so little of it!")

SK, I still think you'd love it at Habana Cuba. That pork is so tender you can eat it with a spoon. I love Cuban food, though.