• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Places to Eat in Burtonsville

bilrus

Has anyone heard of Pepino's Trattoria Italiano in Burtonsville? It is located on Columbia Pike. My wife is going to lunch there with her co-workers and wants to know what to expect or what to order.

Thanks!

BilRus

Bill Russell

Has anyone heard of Pepino's Trattoria Italiano in Burtonsville? It is located on Columbia Pike. My wife is going to lunch there with her co-workers and wants to know what to expect or what to order.

Thanks!

BilRus

Get the pizza - it's very good. The pastas may look seductive, but the pizza is what makes this restaurant stand out.

Thanks!

BilRus

Get the pizza - it's very good. The pastas may look seductive, but the pizza is what makes this restaurant stand out.

Man, you DO get around don't you Rocks?

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Lamb: Ple-e-e-se Li-i-i-sa I thought you lo-o-o-oved me, lo-o-o-oved me

Marge: Whats Wrong Lisa? Cant get enough lamb chops?

Lisa: I can't eat this, I can't eat a poor little lamb.

Homer: Lisa get a hold yourself, that is lamb, not A lamb.

As long as I'm in "Joe H mode," a great little divey Italian place in that area is Trattoria E Pizzeria Da Enrico in King's Contrivance Village in Columbia, Maryland.

Speaking of King's Contrivance, has anyone been to the French joint there? Any opinions?

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

As long as I'm in "Joe H mode," a great little divey Italian place in that area is Trattoria E Pizzeria Da Enrico in King's Contrivance Village in Columbia, Maryland.

My parents LOVE that place! (unless I'm getting my villages confused. And I spent 18 years of my life in that town. Damn college partying...)

Speaking of King's Contrivance, has anyone been to the French joint there? Any opinions?

Are you referring to King's Contrivance the restaurant? It WAS a three star restaurant at one point (10-15 years ago), but it has gone slightly down hill recently. It is still very good, but there isn't the consistancy that it once had.

(Sitting for lamb chops)

The only reason I made that comment was because you were familiar with Iron Bridge in Ellicott City as well.

And I LOVE Trattoria E Pizzeria!! I went to high school about a quarter mile from there and would go there every day for lunch when they opened (they also have a location in Ellicott City). I listed their italian hoagie in the "Italian Hoagie" thread. I've always been impressed with their food!

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Although I grew up in Silver Spring I still swear by and drive from Reston to the original Ledo's in Adelphi. My wife thinks I'm nuts! But she puts up with me because it's a lot closer than DeLorenzo's in Trenton or Arcaro & Gemelli's in Old Forge.

I live in Burtonsville and go there a bit. :raz: I love the pizza and the bread (in fact, we always break Passover there). The pastas are just okay, the main dishes are usually very good, but over our budget for a regular night out. The house wine comes in ceramic carafes, you get a bottle of water with lemon, freshly grated parmesan, and olive oil. Very few tables, though. Mondays are half price pizza nights. The white pizza comes already cut, in irregular sized pieces.

Ana the Librarian

Twins were born June 14th, 2006!!!!!

I'm also a Disney Trivia fan: DisneyTrivia

I trade books!

Have books to trade? Join PaperBack Swap!

Pepino's is OK but if she gets a chance, tell her to go across 29 to the Amish farmer's market to get some milk, pretzels and other delicious things. They have the best breakfast in the area, IMHO. I love their pancakes.

FYI, Kim's Hunan next to Pepino's makes decent potstickers.

Amish farmer's market

I LOVE that place!

(Sitting for lamb chops)

FYI, Kim's Hunan next to Pepino's makes decent potstickers.

I love their potstickers! I'm there about everyother Sunday reading the newspaper and eating them. DH loves the scallion pancake.

And check another vote for the Amish market, although I'd avoid in on a Saturday, when it's is horribly crowded.

Ana the Librarian

I trade books!

How do you like the barbecue place in Burtonsville on, what is it, 197, 198, the Spencerville Road?

I tried it but prefer the Half Moon on Thayer Avenue downtown Silver Spring.

Scorpio

You'll be surprised to find out that Congress is empowered to forcibly sublet your apartment for the summer.

How do you like the barbecue place in Burtonsville on, what is it, 197, 198, the Spencerville Road?

You mean the Old Hickory Grill? They used to be good, but have been going downhill. I don't think I've been there since Isabel left us without electricity and a roach crawled on the table next to us.

If there is another BBQ place, please let me know!

BTW, has the Cuban place openened where Pepino's used to be? :unsure:

Ana the Librarian

I trade books!

• 2 months later...

You mean the Old Hickory Grill? They used to be good, but have been going downhill. I don't think I've been there since Isabel left us without electricity and a roach crawled on the table next to us.

If there is another BBQ place, please let me know!

BTW, has the Cuban place openened where Pepino's used to be? :unsure:

The Cuban place has opened up but I haven't tried it yet. Closed on Mondays and as it would happen, it was a Monday when i was driving by and thought about going.

I love Old Hickory Grill. Great ribs, but the steak salad is what I almost always order. Huge, with lots of perfectly grilled steak. I ask them to add more grilled onions to mine and hold the crutons. The sides are good too, especially the redskin mashed potatos.

One place that has been around forever, but is not my favorite is Sibel's. But they make great ice cream. I occasionally stop there for breakfast but they are a bit high. Service is friendly though.

Attention bourbon drinkers...the Burtonsville MonCo liquor store (in the same stripmall as the "Amish" market) has the best selection and prices in the area (better than the other MonCo stores, even).

edited: for clarity

Edited by jparrott (log)

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

Bringing new and rare spirits to Washington DC.