• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any good Middle eastern place?

kush22

Hello all,

I am a new member and this is my first post!!

I am looking for good Middle eastern restaurant for the week-end.. We live in central Jersey. So, any suggestions in this area? I am not looking for a quick bite, but a nice family dinner..

Thanks and I have scouted around this forum a lot and it has VERY USEFUL..

Kush

Thanks a bunch. Will let you know after we dine here.

I am also considering going to Rasoi (Indian) on Oak Tree road which opened recently and have seen the parking lot always full !! So, may be worth a try.

Me and my hubby are Indian and have tried many good indian food outside. So, let's put this place to test sometime soon !! I will post my review too..

Kush

Two other places in Central Jersey come to mind.

First one - assuming it still exists - is Aladdin in downtown Somerville. We ate there once not long after it had opened, but never went back. It wasn't that the meal or the service was bad - they weren't bad at all - we simply never got around to making a return visit.

Another place - one we frequent - is Sahara in Montgomery Township on Route 206. It's a storefront estalishment that does both takeout and sit-down. It's BYO and we've seen folks bring liquor in. The place can get busy on a Friday or Saturday, especially since it's right near the Montgomery Cinema, which is known for showing independent or "art house" films. We've always enjoyed the food - and they have several varieties of baklava, among other sweet things. :-)

Hope this helps!

Thanks Rosie.

We went to 7 Hills of Istanbul in Highland Park on Saturday night. It was a nice place and kind of surprised that we didn't know about it ! We live within 20 min from this restaurant.

Me and my hubby shared a soup (red lentil), we ordered eggplant with tomatoes, and garlic for appetizer.. Not the greatest, ok..

I opted for Chicken kabobs (cubes) with rice and my hubby is vegetarian, so he chose some kind of vegetable stew (don't know the name). My main dish was very good, but my husband didn't enjoy his a lot..

Desserts were good. Went with Baklava, little soggy compared with regular middle eastern baklava, but still good.

Their breads were really good.

Again, thanks for helping us out..

Kush