• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Theme restaurants in Japan

torakris

When I first started noticing theme restaurants poping up all over Tokyo, I thought they would fade away after a while, guess I was wrong. They are just as popular as ever.

I been to quite a few of them and have to admit they are quite fun, the atmosphere can't be beat, the food is actually pretty good and the price is very reasonable, especially if you are with a group.

Much more enticing horrors for diners to sink their fangs into await at Ginza’s upscale Vampire Cafe, which opened this June. Draped in sanguine velvet, the decadent interiors invite those with a bloodlust to make their way to the tables on an under-lit walkway of crimson corpuscles.

Daiba Little Hong Kong, which opened in December at Odaiba’s Decks, recreates downtown Kowloon complete with trompe l'oeil renditions of the back streets and a looped soundtrack of fighting cats and roaring 747s. Lining the faux streets are eateries that range from authentic Cantonese restaurants and dim sum at Shi An Gyoza to great fresh seafood from the tank at Super Star Seafood, and ramen.

more here

There are a couple groups producing most of these restaurants

UG Growing Up

Diamond Dining

C'est La Vie

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 8 months later...
Some of these concepts are too hilarious! Is this a Japan-only phenomenon?

Well, there have been various theme dining experiences in the US for some time now--y'know, those Medieval Manor type dinner theaters where you watch knights joust while eating faux-medieval food with no utensils. And on a higher level of sophistication, there have been those Theater Zinzanni kind of deals where diners eat amidst performers inspired by a Cirque de Soleil kind of aesthetic. And then there are theater/dinner experiences like murder-mystery dinners, the Tony 'n' Tina's Wedding kind of shows, etc. But I have to say it sounds like these Japanese operations have taken things to a whole other level.

• 1 month later...

Some more interesting ones

It's a somewhat slower pace at Ginza Yuji, which has been furnished to resemble a public bathhouse. Dishes are served in the same type of wooden bowls usually reserved for washing, coats are stored in the baskets identical to those used for packing clothes in bathhouses and towels are hung on faucets that are replicas of taps, reminding people of the days when it was rare for Japanese homes to come equipped with a bath.

For something more challenging, Zauo provides its customers with a fishing rod they can use to catch their own meals from the massive pools within the restaurant. Coming up with a catch within an allotted time can result in a discount, while the snared fish can be served raw, grilled or boiled.

restaurants that serves school lunches

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I think those restaurants that serve school lunches are OK. If there were one nearby, I'd like to go there once in a while. Those Japanese people who were born in the 30s of Showa (1955-1965), like me, can sometimes get so nostalgic for things like school lunches and dagashi.

But what about maid kissa, which have become so popular in Akihabara and other areas? Have any of you ever been there?

Confessions :blush:

Well..... my friend Osada-san and I were curious about this one maid kissa above the Gatchapon store in Akihabara and so we met at the station and walked there, it was around 7:00pm by the time we got there. There was a short wait and when we signed in, one of the waitresses told us that last order was at 7:30 so we probably wouldn't be sat in time to order. So we left, but the atmosphere was the same as those little cafes that serve curry rice and pasta dishes except the only thing that was different was that the waitresses were wearing the maid outfits (and they were quite modest, I might add). The prices were also a little higher than usual, so we went to the T.G.I Friday's in Ueno for burgers. As I understand, there are other maid cafe's that are a little more risque, but this one was just the average cafe. Most of the customers were male (probably akiba-kei) and there was a couple or two. Seating was very limited.

Confessions  :blush:

Well..... my friend Osada-san and I were curious about this one maid kissa above the Gatchapon store in Akihabara and so we met at the station and walked there, it was around 7:00pm by the time we got there.  There was a short wait and when we signed in, one of the waitresses told us that last order was at 7:30 so we probably wouldn't be sat in time to order.  So we left, but the atmosphere was the same as those little cafes that serve curry rice and pasta dishes except the only thing that was different was that the waitresses were wearing the maid outfits (and they were quite modest, I might add).  The prices were also a little higher than usual, so we went to the T.G.I Friday's in Ueno for burgers.  As I understand, there are other maid cafe's that are a little more risque, but this one was just the average cafe.  Most of the customers were male (probably akiba-kei) and there was a couple or two.  Seating was very limited.

No confession required. :biggrin: Maid kissa are just healthy cafes, except that the waitresses are dressed as maids and they greet you with "Okaeri nasai mase, goshujin sama" (hard to translate; "Welcome back home, master"). It is true, however, that maid kissa are considered exclusively for those akiba-kei people who are moe fans. (Note that not all akiba-kei people are moe fans.)

I can't explain what moe is, so please don't ask.

Here is a detailed description of moe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mo%C3%A9