• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

leftover mashed potatoes

jayhay

Just got a look in the mirror and have decided that tomorrow starts the South Beach Diet ! :angry:

But, I just made a mess of yummy garlic mashed ones and hate to throw them away. I was thinking of putting them into little ziplocks for a freezer treat on indulgence days? If they are gonna come out watery/grainy/icky I'll not waste the time.

Anybody know, pro or con?

Kathy

AFAIK, mashed potatos won't taste anywhere near as good once cold as mashed potatos but they are perfectly okay when used for other purposes. Eg, using them as filler for crab cakes or in potato madelines or duchess potatos.

PS: I am a guy.

AFAIK, mashed potatos won't taste anywhere near as good once cold as mashed potatos but they are perfectly okay when used for other purposes. Eg, using them as filler for crab cakes or in potato madelines or duchess potatos.

OK, good idea. You think the texture should be alright? (What is there to lose?) :raz:

Thanks! Kathy

Actually, I've frozen mashed potatoes with great success. The trick is defrosting them in the microwave, stirring every minute or so once they start to defrost. Just keep beating and reheating, you may need to add a little milk, but as long as they haven't gotten freezer burnt, they're just like fresh.

Actually, I've frozen mashed potatoes with great success. The trick is defrosting them in the microwave, stirring every minute or so once they start to defrost. Just keep beating and reheating, you may need to add a little milk, but as long as they haven't gotten freezer burnt, they're just like fresh.

Into the freezer they go ! THX !

• 2 months later...

I like to make boxty, an Irish version of potato pancakes, with the little kids I teach in the summertime. Mix leftover mashers with some fresh shredded potatoes, egg and flour. Pan-fry in plenty of oil. The little ones like them with ketchup but I think they're perfect plain.

How about mashed potato croquettes...?

You took the words right out of my mouth. Either croquettes, or a riff on arancini with a cube of smoked gouda cheese in the centre.

Deep-fried goodness!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Over in the 'casseroles' thread, folks have been discussing 'fish pie' which sounds absolutely heavenly to me, and is topped with mashed potatoes.

And, you can make 'potato cheese patties,' a favorite in our house.

Take your mashed potatoes and roll them into balls about the size of a small orange. Poke a hole in the top and fill with either grated or crumbled cheese. You can use anything. We like the grated, Mexican style "four cheese" stuff from the grocery store, or something more upscale, like Roquefort or feta. Close the hole and pat into a fat patty. Dip the patty into cornmeal and fry until the outside is crispy and the cheese inside has melted.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Skordalia dip, which is a greek appetizer. Mash up some raw and cooked garlic, toss it into the potatoes with extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. Mix it up real good. Eat cold with warm pita bread.

Some recipes also call for integrating wet bread into the mix:

http://www.lisahemenway.com/recipes/skordalia_.htm

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Had a dinner party on Saturday and subsequently have roasted garlic and red pepper mashed potatoes up the yingyang.

They're tasty on their own but I'm thinking I'd like to do something with them. Can you help?

You could make some really interesting nouvelle knishes. :smile:

Had a dinner party on Saturday and subsequently have roasted garlic and red pepper mashed potatoes up the yingyang.

They're tasty on their own but I'm thinking I'd like to do something with them. Can you help?

I'm not sure they're still edible once they've been up the yingyang. :wink:

Seriously though, I love Jaymes' idea, or the shepherd's pie.

If you're a bread baker, freeze them in one-cup portions and add to your bread dough. The yeast really go nuts over the starch in the potatoes. Potato bread is generally a more tender bread than many and goes particularly well with barbecue.

Also, frozen you don't have to deal with them all immediately.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

colcannon -- there are many ways to make this, but my way is to cut a green cabbage into 1 inch squares and saute, then combine the cooked cabbage with cooked bacon and the mashed potatoes (add some extra butter, milk, etc. as you like) and put the mixture into a baking dish. bake in the oven until heated through and the top starts to brown (sometimes I throw it under the broiler if it's good and baked through, but i'm not getting my browning on top).

Edited by nacho (log)

My favorite use for leftover mashers is a potato cake dish I learned to prepare in Ecuador called "llapingachos." Take the mashers (ensure they are heavily seasoned), add egg to bind, and stir in cubed queso fresco or other fresh cheese. Form into large, flat cakes. Pan-fry in a cast-iron skillet until golden brown and slightly crispy on each side. The Ecuadorians (and I) use annatto-seed-flavored lard; you could use olive oil, lard or a mix of both.

This is the most basic llapingacho recipe. Sometimes I add fresh herbs, and/or chopped sauteed onions.

• 3 months later...

I had a small container of leftover mashed potatoes. I pressed them into a nonstick pan with some hot oil and began to fry them. Well, I tried to flip the thing too early and it all fell apart. Knowing that some of my favorite dishes are things that started out as accidents, I decided to screw around. I just broke up the mashed potatoes and began sauteeing them rather than frying them. I added some sage and oregano and some hot sauce.

Some bits got really crusty and crunchy and good, while the rest were nice and smooth. It didn't look to appealing, but it had a wonderful texture and a great, subtle spicyness.

It started as an accident, but it turned into something that I'll probably play around with and improve upon in the future. Yum! :biggrin:

"Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit." -- Anthony Bourdain

Promote skepticism and critical thinking. www.randi.org