• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

leftover mashed potatoes

jayhay

My grandmother always made lefse with leftover mashed potatoes.

Me, I make shepherd's (lamb) pie or cottage (beef) pie. I love them both.

- kim

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

I wonder how a Spanish-style tortilla would work. Tortillas use chopped potatoes, but I think mashed might be OK. Anyone ever try it?

Michael aka "Pan"

Gnocci are nice, just add a little egg and flour to make a soft dough. Tortilla espagnola would not be very nice with mashed potatoes, the texture of the sliced is better with the eggs and onions.

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

Divide into 1 cup portions and use those portions in your bread dough. The yeast goes nuts over the potato starch.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

croquettes!!!!!!!!!! you can even freeze then breaded and ready to go... good with sunday breakfast.  :wub:

Oh yeah. Stuffed with seasoned ground meat, or ham and cheese. Or shrimp and black eyed peas. Or chicken curry. The Brazilian/Japanese style ones that use panko bread crumbs as the coating are fantastic.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I wonder how a Spanish-style tortilla would work. Tortillas use chopped potatoes, but I think mashed might be OK. Anyone ever try it?

It would be an utter disaster, Michael. It would be all over the place. You need firm potatoes to make a good one.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

It's funny you posted this, as I just had some leftover mash from the other night...

I chopped up some chives, cubed a few pieces of smoked mozerella, made balls out of the mash, inserted smoked moz in center, made in to patties...egg wash - penko - fry on high heat watching carefully.

It would be an utter disaster, Michael. It would be all over the place. You need firm potatoes to make a good one.

I just bought Claudia Roden's book Tamarind & Saffron and she gives a recipe for a Tunesian mashed potato omelet: Mash from 500 grams potatoes, 1 onion minced and fried, 3 eggs, a whole bunch of parsley, salt and pepper all mixed together and fried in oil. It's called maacouda.

You could also take a page out of the M*A*S*H book and ferment it, then make vodka/gin.

*make sure it's legal in your locale*

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

You could also take a page out of the M*A*S*H book and ferment it, then make vodka/gin.

*make sure it's legal in your locale*

Now you're talking! :raz:

Thanks for all these ideas, everyone.

Potato farls

I need more coffee - I saw that as potato "farts" :blink: - sorry.

When we make mashed potatoes, we always make waaaay too much so that we have leftovers & then I can do my favourite second-day mashed potato food - melt goose fat (1/2 olive oil, 1/2 butter will do, but goose fat is best) in a frying pan - put all mashed potatoes (or as many as will fit - remember, they'll reduce by at least 1/3 over the process) in pan with salt, pepper & garlic (if you didn't use garlic in the original mash) - flatten (gently to avoid splatter) - fry gently until browned on one side, then turn & fry on other side. Even better if you turn unevenly & then push the crunchy bits into the unfried bits for an all-over fried fatty goodness - add more goose fat (or other fat) as needed - serve. Yum.

Edited by Viola da gamba (log)

I just bought Claudia Roden's book Tamarind & Saffron and she gives a recipe for a Tunesian mashed potato omelet: Mash from 500 grams potatoes, 1 onion minced and fried, 3 eggs, a whole bunch of parsley, salt and pepper all mixed together and fried in oil. It's called maacouda.

Interesting. Wouldnt be the same thing as a Tortilla de Patatas though.

Make an Aloo Subzi side - here is a version:

Temper half a teaspoon mustard seeds in hot oil (even better: ghee). Add half a teaspoon cumin seeds, then some fresh ginger and a thinly sliced red onion. Saute till golden coloured. Add a little turmeric, stir a couple of secs, then add 2 or 3 crushed garlic cloves and a thinly sliced green chili. Stir.

As soon as the aroma develops, add your leftover mashed potatoes and stir quickly.

Top with 1 teaspoon garam masala, stir to blend and take off the fire.

Squeeze some lemon juice on top, mix and served garnished with coriander or chopped scallions.

Unless you're playing some risky game of foamy deconstruction not to be tried at home, there's no way that mashed potatoes could replace fried potatoes in a tortilla de patatas.

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)