• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Apple Pie?

scarlet knight

we are assigned to buy the apple pie for a dinner party on Sat. 4/2/05.  Any suggestions?  I remember Geiger's in Westfield.  Is it still there?  Any other ideas?

Delicious Orchards in Colts Neck makes a great apple pie.

Another thought...bake a Mrs Smith's Apple Pie. It's better than most store bought pies.

Why are you hesitating to make the pie? Perhaps it's time constraints? I have to say, I've not found a great bakery yet, but I've only just moved here, and I'm in the Freehold area, which seems to be a wasteland. Unless you're looking for ice cream. Or diners. Well, give us a bit of time to explore. We're still running to NYC a lot.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

The obvious answer you are going to get many on this forum is "why don't you make it?" but if you aren't comfortable making one yourself, I don't believe you should take a task like bringing one to a party as a time to experiment.

I don't know where you are in North Jersey but if Colts Neck/Freehold area isn't too far, you can definitely get a good pie at Delicious Orchards in Colts Neck or

Wemrock Orchards in Freehold. I do know that Wemrock sells their pies through different outlets so you may be able to come across them in North Jersey, but I don't have a clue where.

Since you mentioned it, I miss Geigers. They had the greatest cider donuts as well as pies.

Edited by Taboni (log)

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

Why are you hesitating to make the pie? Perhaps it's time constraints? I have to say, I've not found a great bakery yet, but I've only just moved here, and I'm in the Freehold area, which seems to be a wasteland. Unless you're looking for ice cream. Or diners. Well, give us a bit of time to explore. We're still running to NYC a lot.

Rebecca:

I suggest you start your exploring at Delicious Orchards in Colts Neck. It's not too far from you and has one of the best produce departments you'll ever see. They also have very good (and sometimes great) baked goods. You should also check out the fresh fish places in Point Pleasant. It's not far from you and pretty much the closest place to the big city where you can buy fish that just came off commercial boats.

Delicious Orchards

And try both of these:

Spike's Fish Market

415 Broadway at Channel Drive, Point Pleasant Beach, NJ

Co-op Seafood

57 Channel Drive, Point Pleasant Beach, NJ

Remember also that in the time it takes you to drive to Manhattan, you can reach equally excellent - but far less touristed - ethnic neighborhoods in NJ.

Brian Yarvin

My Webpage

we are assigned to buy the apple pie for a dinner party on Sat. 4/2/05.  Any suggestions?  I remember Geiger's in Westfield.  Is it still there?  Any other ideas?

Mr. Tods Pies on Easton Ave. in Somerset (just off 287) has fabulous pies! You need to call an pre-order them a day or so ahead of time. You still have time!

Elizabeth (Betsy) Alger

The Frog and The Peach

New Brunswick, NJ 08901

How funny...the first thought I had when I saw the name of this thread was Delicious Orchards! Sadly, it's definitely not in North Jersey. What about Wegmans (Bridgewater, Woodbridge)?

Nettie Ochs in Livingston has great pies/tarts in the fall...not sure if they make them year 'round, though.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Thanks Elizabeth/Betsy! That's exactly why I've joined the forums, we can't seem to find anything near us... of course, the driving all over creation is a bit of a culture shock for us, too. We're from South Beach and Miami is a lot easier to negotiate. It's just been easier to hop a train to the city, so far. Or give up and walk to the neighborhood ice cream parlor. Can anyone send out a list of "ethnic" areas in Monmouth County? So far, all we've found is Kosher pizza and markets South on Route 9, and a farmer's market in Freehold. We're very much into off the beaten path, if it's within an hour of us. Thank you!!!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Wow South Beach/Freehold, South Beach/Freehold...I know where I would rather be :smile: I don't live in the immediate area (we are in Fair Haven/Rumson/Red Bank area about 30 minutes from you) but there is good Mexican right in Freehold at El Meson, BYO.

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

[quote name=Nettie Ochs in Livingston has great pies/tarts in the fall...not sure if they make them year 'round' date=' though.

Nettie Ochs is closed until Mid-September :sad: On a side note, a reletivley young member of the Ochs family recently passed away.

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

we are going to my sister's house. my wife is an accomplished baker. however, she needed to go to the hospital and receive medical attention due to an apple cutting mishap while making an apple pie for a previous dinner at my sister's house. We are discouraging her from a recurrence.

except for the fact it is way up in sussex county Elias Cole is known for their pies - apple and their mile high lemon chiffon...

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

The traditional apple pie from Cait and Abby's in Millburn was very good. It was not goopy, which is my major criticism of commercial pies. We also had a blueberry crumb pie. The crumb topping and crust were very good. The blueberry filling did qualify as goopy, but that's hard to avoid with blueberry.

Kudos to Rosie for the recommendation. Next time, when we have a little more time to work with, we'll try Betsy's recommendation. Thanks!

I know it's now after the fact and out of this person's area, but no one recently has mentioned the very BEST bakery on this side of the Hudson: Balthazar Bakery in Englewood. A recent pre-Easter visit reconfirmed my enthusiasm for the place. Not only is everything delectable, but each cake, pastry and bread there is a work of art!!