• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roasting a whole pig

chuck

I've got a 60 pound pig in a dry cure right now waiting to be cooked in a few days. I need to know what others have tried (or heard about, hell, I'll try anything) that worked really well.

I've done this twice before, once in a commercial oven and once in a huge pit lined with wood coals and rocks. Both of those methods are out this time. I think that the most damage I can do to my friend's yard is to clear a fire circle.

Thanks for any suggestions.

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

Spit roast

You can hire these or they are easy enough to build from scaffolding poles or the like.

Use a couple of portable BBQs for the fire, or I've even used a wheelbarrow with sand as the firebox. Build a tent round with sheets of tin, plywood or even thick tinfoil to keep in the heat. Quarter of a turn every 15 minutes for about 4-6 hours - very gentle heat, end temperature about 160F.

Keep the pig far enough above the fir not to get fat flares, and ideally have a small fire at each end rather than the centre, as that is where most of the meat is.

Carve, put in hamburger buns, with stuffing and apple sauce, will feed about 60 people..and the crackling is superb.

Also look for cajun or china microwave

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...-2004Jul13.html

http://www.lacajachina.com/

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=48801

Edited by jackal10 (log)

Do you have acces to cinder blocks or a bunch of bricks? You can make a rectangular 'pit' with blocks, with the spit resting on the blocks.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Wow, shouldn't you people be working or something?

You're lucky that you didn't ask about something that people like to talk about. :wink::laugh:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

If you have a spare $500.00 a china box does the job real nice.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Wow, shouldn't you people be working or something?

This is my Job. :laugh::laugh:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321