• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cute names to cover up what it is

Daniel

Armadillo is "possum on the half shell".

(Yes, that is food related.)

:laugh:

Are there any euphemisms for nutria? I thought that there had been some campaign to encourange eating of these creatures in LA.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Armadillo is "possum on the half shell".

(Yes, that is food related.)

:laugh:

Are there any euphemisms for nutria? I thought that there had been some campaign to encourange eating of these creatures in LA.

I would suggest Nutrimari.

Martinis don't come from vodka and bacon don't come from turkeys!

Ooh! I have a good one:

Squab (better known as park pigeon)

Not to nitpick (anything starting that way means there's a nitpick coming ...) but to be called squab, doesn't it have to be a pigeon so young that it's never flown? All the pigeons in the parks here take to the skies whenever anyone gets close.

They call it that old mountain dew

And them that refuse it are few

I'll shut up my mug if you'll fill up my jug

With that good ol' mountain dew

Bluegrass band in college used to do that one, had some great verses

My Uncle Mort, he's all sawed off and short

He measures 'bout 5 foot 2

But he thinks he's a giant if you give him a pint

Of that good ol' mountain dew

My pet peeve euphemism came about years ago when dolphin fish became widely available in restaurants and stores and they started calling it mahi-mahi.

I'd been fishing for dolphin in North Carolina since I was little. The last straw was when places on Hatteras Island started calling it mahi. I said, since when are you rednecks Polynesian? They said, correctly, that ignorant eco-nuts kept griping about them serving Flipper and it wasn't worth the trouble. So, they're ignorant and I have to speak Polynesian? :hmmm::laugh:

Calling Beans "whistle-berries". :biggrin::biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Heard a too cutesy term today on The Today Show.

The guest chef prepared a dish consisting of a boneless chicken leg filled with a stuffing and then wrapped in caul fat and roasted. Al Roker kept asking, "what's this white stuff"? The chef called it; "Nature's Lace"...

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"