• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My homemade bread is tasteless & I don’t know why

I’ve been experimenting with bread recently & although I can get it to rise & have a decent texture I can’t seem to get it to taste of anything (with one exception - seeded loaf).  I’ve tried different flours, mixing flours, adding oil/butter, milk & milk powder and so on.  The one thing that I haven’t changed in the yeast – I use fast yeast packets and do so because I have never been able to find dry yeast or yeast cakes.  Does yeast make a difference to the taste or does my problem lie elsewhere?

You are almost certainly undersalting the dough. Bread takes quite huge quantities of salt and tastes of little without it.

That aside there is little other than the type and quality of flour. I use Doves Farm organic strong white as my standard flour and like the taste of honey in small quantities rather than sugar. I've always used fresh yeast and can buy it from local bakeries - dried yeast goes off almost as fast and the fresh product can be frozen without damage or deterioration

Good luck